A guy almost drowned up in the raritan bay may 4 last sunday. He was in a sit in kayak and wasn't wearing a wetsuit. Be careful out there gents!

From Facebook -
Wow what a day! No fish but did rescue my friend who flipped his kayak.

I didn't think much of the situation until he couldn't get back in his kayak and we where over 3/4 of a mile out. So he hung off the back of my trolling motor while i paddled as hard as I could for 35 minutes with the motor running also with the blades hitting legs a few times.

My other friend followed close by in case he let go and then told me about the 50 50 50 rule means he didn't have much time left. 50 degrees water for 50 minutes you have a 50% chance of living. When we beached he couldnt feel anything and he thought he tore his triceps from the hypothermia and his muscles contracting...

How cold was he? So cold he couldn't get his clothes off or use his hand's so we stripped him down and then I took off my clothes for him...

This isn't a story so I can be congratulated because I did nothing different from what anyone else would have done. This is about being safe, prepared and always ready for the worst. Always have a radio, always fish with a partner, and always wear your pfd because he would have been dead.

Also tell your wives or girlfriends to go buy you a dry suit Lol... Stay safe,a life can be lost at anytime in any situation if you aren't prepared. Thank god I had a motor."