Thread: Things you learned this fall.

Hybrid View

Way to go monty. Look forward to more googan adventures for 2014.

X2 they are always entertaining. Kudos you are now running with the big dogs.

Congrats Monty nice speech.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

I hooked my lip flyfishing one night. Black deceiver that I cut the feathers and bucktail off of to stop sneazing and be able to hide a little better in the ER
    ... looked like a hitler mustache. My wife, 10 years later, still busts my chops over this whenever I'm heading out at night.

Googanesque enough?

This year I learned to get off my rump and not do the bait and wait thing in the fall, even though 99.999% of the anglers down here DO.
    The reason being I was one of the .001% who caught a bass, and it wadn't (sic) on any bait.

Quote Originally Posted by surfrob View Post
    I hooked my lip flyfishing one night. Black deceiver that I cut the feathers and bucktail off of to stop sneazing and be able to hide a little better in the ER
    ... looked like a hitler mustache. My wife, 10 years later, still busts my chops over this whenever I'm heading out at night.

Googanesque enough?

This year I learned to get off my rump and not do the bait and wait thing in the fall, even though 99.999% of the anglers down here DO.
    The reason being I was one of the .001% who caught a bass, and it wadn't (sic) on any bait.

Awesome story surfrob, mimicing the punk movement lol. Did you ever wear jeans with safety pins?
    Question, in your opinion why would 99% of the anglers in your area use bait. Aren't there any inlets or jetties or sod banks where the fish school up at?

Googanesque enough? .
    Great story, do you have any pics?
    Well this is gotta be close to the superstrike in my finger.
    Ouch.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Quote Originally Posted by storminsteve View Post
    Awesome story surfrob, mimicing the punk movement lol. Did you ever wear jeans with safety pins?
    Question, in your opinion why would 99% of the anglers in your area use bait. Aren't there any inlets or jetties or sod banks where the fish school up at?
    I should qualify that along the sod banks there are a dedicated group of night rats out plugging. But around Brigantine, not so.

I'm just kicking myself as during the fall there is so much small bait in the surf, from baby kings, to snappers to spot to crabs, and last year for the first time that I'm aware of... sand eels, that plugging / flying has got to be more effective than bait and wait.

Around that island there is just not much to hold fish like the jetties and rocks and better soft structure that seems to be prevalent from IBSP nawth.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    Great story, do you have any pics?
    Well this is gotta be close to the superstrike in my finger.
    Ouch.
    There has got to be a pic somewhere, but given the time... it might have only been taken on an old cell phone... so really unsure.

My wife was laughing so hard when she saw me, not sure if she took the pic or my bro in law who was also around before I went to the ER.

Awesome story dude, did it look anything like this?

Bet this guy felt like a googan big time!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...-steve-1711078 My fishing blip: Angler needs 12 stitches after hooking HIMSELF in the mouth

He yanked his rod a couple of times to free the line before the bulbous object suddenly flew 50 feet through the air and struck him in the face

BNPS

This is the incredible moment an angler had a miracle escape when his fishing weight flew back at him 'like a bullet' and lodged in the side of his face.
    Steve Redhead, 51, was hoping to land some carp fish but became the catch himself after his lead weight snagged on overhanging branches.
    He yanked his rod a couple of times to free the line before the bulbous object suddenly flew 50 feet through the air and struck him in the face.
    Steve dropped to his knees and thought the object had just grazed him at first until fishing friend Matt Barnes told him it was embedded in his right cheek.
    An ambulance was called and Steve, from Weymouth, Dorset, was rushed to hospital to have the 50 gram weight removed.
    Luckily, the weight didn't break his cheek bone or jaw or damage any nerves.
    Steve, who jet-washes wheelie bins for a living, was told the item could easily have killed him had it hit him in an eye, throat or gone through his mouth.
    Ouch: Steve with the weight in his lip
    BNPS
    He said: "I had been fishing for about three quarters of an hour but hadn't caught anything.
    "We were fishing quite close to a tree because we knew carp hide out there in the winter months.
    "My line got snagged in some of the branches so I tried a couple of gentle tugs.
    "When that didn't work I lost my patience a little bit and gave it a massive yank.
    "Then I just remember catching a quick glimpse of the weight coming straight at me like a bullet at the very last second and then thinking it hurt a little bit.
    "I dropped to my knees and thought it had just grazed my face.
    "When I first touched it I thought it was just swollen before I realised it was the weight and it was now stuck in my face.
    "Even though there was a bit of blood it didn't actually hurt that much. It hurt more when I was given the local anaesthetic later in hospital.
    "I packed up my fishing gear and the bailiff at the lake called an ambulance.
    "I'm very lucky. It could have killed me. Had it gone through my mouth it would have probably gone straight through and out the back of my head.

My wife was laughing so hard when she saw me, not sure if she took the pic or my bro in law who was also around before I went to the ER.
    Thanks for the answers about the brigantine area really want to get down there and fish it one night.
    Bet your wife and you have repeated laughs over that incident lol.