Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Things you learned this fall.

Default Things you learned this fall.

Although we own all of this equipment rods reels plugs etc. for this sport of ours and the fall run sucked, I think we were all reminded that sometimes the basic old school methods do work and they worked well.Personally I probably own close to 200 plugs some of you may have more, and this season reminded me how simple a green/dark red tube diamond jig or bucktail with a teaser works after all they did catch every bass I caught this year.Granted it was a sandeel bite but the needlefish did not produce all that well as compared to the jigs.It was nice just to bring a few jigs and bucktails rather then lugging the whole bag of tricks.Sometimes we overlook the obvious by using all the things that are offered to us nowadays this season brought me back to fishing the old school way simple and effective.Any thoughts????
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Only thing I learned this fall was that I missed fishing big time.
    What I think finally sunk into my skull this year is that the areas I fish and when I fish them the bait is small and thin most of the time. I started fishing the loaded 5 1/2" redfins more and caught more. Also lots of fish caught on teasers and the SP Minnow was good. Even top water with bass and blues, 6" and skinny type spooks out caught others by a mile. Big fat wood, not so much lovin this year.

A rare occasion this year when a bigger plug got whacked
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

You can't always count on bass and bluefish being there.
    Sea robins and hickory shad are the new striped bass.

Fire Island becomes very small when the bite is best in one small area.

Quote Originally Posted by surfstix1963 View Post
    Personally I probably own close to 200 plugs some of you may have more, and this season reminded me how simple a green/dark red tube diamond jig or bucktail with a teaser works after all they did catch every bass I caught this year.Granted it was a sandeel bite but the needlefish did not produce all that well as compared to the jigs.It was nice just to bring a few jigs and bucktails rather then lugging the whole bag of tricks.Sometimes we overlook the obvious by using all the things that are offered to us nowadays this season brought me back to fishing the old school way simple and effective.Any thoughts????
    What he said. Ava and bucktail were good producers for me as well. Sometimes its good to get back to basics, they do catch.

Good post SS. You think back to the fishermen of 50 and 75 years ago what did they use? Old conventionals, dacron line and penn squidders to throw tin squids. And bucktails and other tins. Seems that was the way a lot of fish were caught other than bait. Now we have the fancy holographic daiwa sps, the $21 new sparkling mag darters, and enough custom plugs to fill a navy battle ship. Do they help to catch more fish? Maybe. Its also possible that some of these plugs catch more fishermen than they do fish. A small ava with or without a teaser or redgill has been good for me this fall. So good its the first thing I throw. No fish in 20 or 30 casts and I try someting else.

Dark can't find fish for Pebbles

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

^ ........I asked her if she would go fishin with me last night as a few fish are around...told her the tides I wanted to fish would be 11p-4am.......she said: "I'm not fishing that late at night...it interferes with my beauty sleep!
    I love that girl...what can I say......most of my larger fish have come at night....and right now, as we discussed, about 1 out of every 100 are a little bigger, pulling some drag.....those are my targets..........

Any more astute observations, ya grouchy basstid?

I wouldn't go with ya at night either it's a day bite SCale down the tackle and the smaller fish put up a good account of themselves.

Today was a PERFECT DAY to have taken your love PEBBLES FISHING

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    SCale down the tackle and the smaller fish put up a good account of themselves.
    Still some fish around at night finchaser. I picked up a few last night. They are chasing herring. Good point about scaling down the tackle. I was using a 7 1/2' rod.

I know^^^^ but Pebbles hates chasing Darks Windows of opportunity in the middle of the night because they are usually shut by time he gets there as he's always an hour or so late. He should take her at first light so she can catch a fish.

Dark just turn the drag knob counter clockwise and the small ones will pull line too.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

I learned that I have this uncanny ability to cast my needlefish in any direction in the surf and am able to consistently catch sandfleas!

Speed up your retrieve some if that is happening try and stay about a foot off the bottom or use a different needle
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Almost forgot especially this fall all the professionals don't target small fish, only ego filling no skill snag and drop for them

Today was a PERFECT DAY to have taken your love PEBBLES FISHING
    He should take her at first light so she can catch a fish.
    I know you're only thinking of us...but that 1 1/2 hour bite at first light isn't enough for me.....it's like seeing a huge chocolate cake in a window that you can't touch...and only getting to lick the knife that cuts the pieces.....
    The biggest reason we would come down there is to see your grouchy A**.........and your usual policy is you don't fish on weekends....

Fished this AM from 6:30 to 8 had 7 bass to 27 inches 4 on sand eel rubber and 3 on Mucho minnow left them biting as beach was a zoo all the fair weather dilly docks were out. Water was 42.
    I would rather avoid the crowds more than anything......not fun for me anymore.....one of the reasons I would rather fish at night....maybe less fish...but more solitude.
    As always thanks for the words and the nagging...and the advice...
    Very happy for those who are getting out there and getting some fish...it will be a long Winter.
    Now is the time for memories that will have to last throughout that Winter....

Quote Originally Posted by surfstix1963 View Post
    Dark just turn the drag knob counter clockwise and the small ones will pull line too.
    Man I get no respect around here.....how ya feeling today Surf...you said you and your family had a touch of the flu...hope you all are recovering....

Hey surfstix hope your fam get well soon. Merry Christmas and thanks for all the informative threads especially the one on reading the water.

DS
    Excuses excuses it's not about you its about her and except for yesterday there's been no more than 4 to 7 people in a 1 1/2 mile stretch. Fish for 2 hours and take her to breakfast. Hold the fish out and it will look big in one of your infer miss look what I caught photo's Get the girl a fish how are you going to grow up to be a guide like D_

Well to put it mildly I feel like crap, evidently another upper respiratory infection it's steroid time I'm so glad I quit smoking 4 years ago, I never got any of this crap quitting is supposed to make you healthier IDK about that one.All I've been is sick, since I quit.Your Welcome Steve.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Get the girl a fish how are you going to grow up to be a guide like D_

She has some things going on right now and really can't fish...maybe the Spring will be better for her...so let's just blame me.....the super goog of all time...I'm OK with that.....
    Sorry to disappoint ya about the guide service....I'm not gonna follow in his footsteps......too many toes were stepped on to get to that position (JMO of course )

I'm gonna continue being the clueless, unable-to-catch-a-fish-to-save-my-life, goog that I am......
    After all, Monty needs some company. It wouldn't be fair for him to win the Googan of the Year trophy every year, now, would it?

Surfstix, Pebbles and I are praying for you all to feel better....
    You are definitely going to live longer without cigarettes in your life.....we're proud of ya.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast