Thread: Things you learned this fall.

Hybrid View

Things I learned this fall - this is the last hurrah for the jetties. From now on for the next 10 years there will be periods of joy among fishermen as fall and winter storms create new cuts and troughs. This is the natural order of things. Then by the spring the tractors and road graders will be there to fill them in again. Just when we start to be hopeful they will come in with the tractors and dash all hopes to smithereens. Of course I don't fish the jetties but you can't discount the life they hold throughout the years. That life as we know it will cease to exist. We will be reduced to grabbing the crumbs of gamefish remnants that drop off the table as many fish will continue to migrate offshore with these changes.
    I wish I wasn't so astute in seeing what is at the end of the tunnel for us. Maybe some times it is better to be blissfully ignorant.

that base of forage to draw in and keep the fish is the biggest loss to the jetties.

once they fill in and destroy the food chain, you will see areas that were productive throughout the season become the dead sea, while the fish
    only come in and hold with a pod of bait in your face.

beach replenishment literally sucks the life out of the surf.

^^^^^^ So true. It's not only the fishermen who suffer. The rip currents get worse and I believe we will see more drownings because of it.

New fishing technique, follow the trucks!

The corollary to that - if you don't want people to follow and mug you keep your light off at night when you are catching.

Blitz only breed of Cell phone mafia fisherman is out of control

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Not only that, they don't seem to want to work that hard to achieve results.I have a small circle of trusted guys I share with when we are on fish. we have always been able to keep our mouths shut and sometimes have a bite to ourselves for a week or more. social media has changed all that. Some newby catches a decent bass, blabs it all over social media and the next thing you know the crowds are running. Meanwhile none of those people who come running had the incentive to put in the work before they got the cell phone call.