Thread: Versatile, all around surf fishing rods

Default Versatile, all around surf fishing rods

When I fish its usually a 7-8 hour trip that ends up around 8:00 AM.
    Cover lots of area, don't go on jettys.
    What I like to throw range from Red Fins to 4 1/2 oz Rip-Plugger plugs to 14" Hogys.
    Also work spooks, poppers and pencils.
    The rod I used most this past year was an Avid 11' rod rated 3-8 oz (weighed 13.3 oz).
    I was able to throw loaded red fins fine, SP Minnows I could drill a good distance, big plugs loaded real nice, could work a pencil and the 14" Hogys were a pleasure to cast with this rod.
    The surprising part was the ability to cast 1 - 1 1/4 oz plugs.
    I know almost nothing about rod action, just my opinions and thoughts from my fishing.
    Seems the Avid has a section near the tip that loads with the small plugs and then the rest of the rod loads with the heavier plugs.
    My other experiences with rods have not handled the range of the Avid, of the ones that could handle the plug size range, they struggled with the 14" Hogy.
    I have heard good things about the CTS Vapor Trail handling a wide range and being a very versatile rod(also extremely expensive).
    Any thoughts on "all around" rods?
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Sling Shot Series- Moderate?fast, crisp action rods, the Sling Shot series is designed for long-distance plugs and bait. The moderately fast action, combined with a quick recovery, gives all rods in the Sling Shot series optimum performance. The rod?s maximum distance and fish-fighting ability is uncanny with aerodynamic plugs and bait. The Century Pro Staff counts on the Sling Shot.

Stealth Series- The Stealth Series is a slower action parabolic rod with a ton of backbone. These rods are best suited for throwing eels, darters, dannys and any other lipped swimming baits that are not aerodynamic. The slower recovering action prevents extra tumble that a faster action rod will produce in the non-aerodynamic plugs.

I've also been looking at the lami Infinty and super surf 2 they are all a tad pricey also.The next ? is what reel I would like for the one or ones I choose without breaking the bank too bad.I'll cough up around 3 bills for a reel but that's it.

Fin is probably the guy to answer your question i'm not a rod guru he knows the ins and outs of the blanks.

your probably better off to have it built to get as close to a all around rod.It is pretty obvious the Century clearly states one is for more aero dynamic plugs and one is for metal lips and crappy casting plugs. My go to rod that I still own is my lami triflex but it wears on you after awhile it is an 11 footer and with our injuries any help from the rod now is helpful so I will probably be selling that one after I figure out what I want. That's my single biggest problem figuring out what I want.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

I have held the sling shot and it was way too soft. Although I didn't fish it I have talked with others who confirm that the rod is a bit spaghetti ish. Actually this past Tuesday I was talking with someone who wanted to sell his saying he can't throw eels with it and its generally very flimsy.

Thanks for the info Monty always good to hear from people that actually use them.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Quote Originally Posted by surfstix1963 View Post
    Thanks for the info Monty always good to hear from people that actually use them.
    I used the Mojo rod rated 3/4-4 oz, 10'6" for a month a few years ago. It was real light and handled a decent range of plugs and casted far. It was a fun rod, but I found it to spaghetti like to throw stuff like the 14" Hogys. I slowed the cast down but just could not generate power with it and the Hogy. The sling Shot to me felt similar. But that was a "quick" feel of the Sling Shot.

I'm not a fan of spaghetti rods I saw a video of the mojo and the caster said it was great up to 2 oz. he wouldn't want to use anything heavier.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

My go to rod that I still own is my lami triflex but it wears on you after awhile it is an 11 footer and with our injuries any help from the rod now is helpful so I will probably be selling that one after I figure out what I want. That's my single biggest problem figuring out what I want.
    I have a Tsunami and it didn't break the bank. I use a TSAWSS1002MH for walking the beaches. I know everyone on the internet theyre are all about the CTS and Century rods but I didn't want to spend that kind of money. The Tsunami went for $100 and I am happy with it. Not as hardcore as the rest of you guys but it works for me. 2-4 oz, 10'. I think if you casted 4 oz all the time you might break it. Does seem to be good for the 2-3 oz range.
    If you want to throw eels you might need a mh rod but that will put more strain on you as you mentioned injuries. I don't like the whippy rods either. I use a smaller Lamiglass 8' for places like the cape may jetty and when its very early spring or late fall and only small fish are there. My .02 hope this helps.

I'm not a fan of spaghetti rods I saw a video of the mojo and the caster said it was great up to 2 oz. he wouldn't want to use anything heavier.
    I tried the mojo and didn't really like it felt it was too whippy. I did cast a lot further and when the fish are far I would have no problem using it. My bud uses his to cast over the bar at island beach and is very happy with it. Maybe the right way to go is to have one lighter whippy rod for casting further and then a shorter stouter one for the heavier stuff like the eels and giant plugs.

I think the important thing is what works for you. You really need to try different blanks not just in the store but in the surf. When they have rod demos is a good time to go. They often focus on only one brand. I do agree that you should have heavier rated rods for throwing eels and the bigger wood or heavy metal. Surfstix you talked about health limitations. If thats the case you might want to consider downsizing your rods. An 11' blank will put more stress on you than a 9' one will. That's with all other things being equal.
    Just a suggestion. You can get a quality 9' blank that will give you a lot less fatigue. imo some of the newest offerings at 11' weren't designed to take punishment or abuse. modified steelhead rods. Good for spring cow pencil popper fishing or distance casting but not the best for big surf or climbing jetties or the fronts of inlets. It really depends on the kind of fishing you guys want to do. I switch between my 9' lami for all around use and go to an 11' when its big surf or the fish are out far. I do agree the lami triflex wears on you but in my opinion the length of the rod has a lot to do with it. When you make 1000 casts any long rod will eventually wear on you unless you are over 6'2".
    Have you guys looked at any 9' blanks?

Good discussion. The most important thing I got out of it is that no one rod can do all things. thanks fellas

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    What I like to throw range from Red Fins to 4 1/2 oz Rip-Plugger plugs to 14" Hogys.
    Also work spooks, poppers and pencils.
    The rod I used most this past year was an Avid 11' rod rated 3-8 oz (weighed 13.3 oz).
    I was able to throw loaded red fins fine, SP Minnows I could drill a good distance, big plugs loaded real nice, could work a pencil and the 14" Hogys were a pleasure to cast with this rod.
    The surprising part was the ability to cast 1 - 1 1/4 oz plugs.
    I know almost nothing about rod action, just my opinions and thoughts from my fishing.
    Seems the Avid has a section near the tip that loads with the small plugs and then the rest of the rod loads with the heavier plugs.
    My other experiences with rods have not handled the range of the Avid, of the ones that could handle the plug size range, they struggled with the 14" Hogy.

That rod is rated 3-8oz. def on the heavier side when it comes to throwing things. If you are used to that the other rods will feel whippy. I would think working it for 8 hours at a time would cause some fatigue. Even though 13 oz it has to be stiffer and less giving. Never used that blank so don't really know only thinking out loud.

Remember reading you recently had some surgery so maybe a lighter rated blank would cause less fatigue and be better for you long term. like has been said, every person is different only you know what works best for you. It just seems to me that a rod rated for 3-8 oz would naturally be stiffer than others.

That Avid was and is my favorite so far. Not to heavy and just does a great job with the full range of artificials. I like rods between 10 and 11feet. Will likely be throwing a lighter rod this spring and will be getting my first custom rod in 15 years. Knowing what I like and want built into that rod.

Quote Originally Posted by jigfreak View Post
    I think the important thing is what works for you. You really need to try different blanks not just in the store but in the surf. When they have rod demos is a good time to go. They often focus on only one brand. I do agree that you should have heavier rated rods for throwing eels and the bigger wood or heavy metal. Surfstix you talked about health limitations. If thats the case you might want to consider downsizing your rods. An 11' blank will put more stress on you than a 9' one will. That's with all other things being equal.
    Just a suggestion. You can get a quality 9' blank that will give you a lot less fatigue. imo some of the newest offerings at 11' weren't designed to take punishment or abuse. modified steelhead rods. Good for spring cow pencil popper fishing or distance casting but not the best for big surf or climbing jetties or the fronts of inlets. It really depends on the kind of fishing you guys want to do. I switch between my 9' lami for all around use and go to an 11' when its big surf or the fish are out far. I do agree the lami triflex wears on you but in my opinion the length of the rod has a lot to do with it. When you make 1000 casts any long rod will eventually wear on you unless you are over 6'2".
    Have you guys looked at any 9' blanks?

I am getting a lighter rated blank than the Avid just as you mentioned, with a similar action to the Avid. Shoulder was wrecked using the legend last year, just an unavoidable I injury. This 3-8 rating is misleading, 1-5 would be more accurate, and its a very nice strong rod that loads nice with a wide range.

Quote Originally Posted by fishinmission78 View Post
    That rod is rated 3-8oz. def on the heavier side when it comes to throwing things. If you are used to that the other rods will feel whippy. I would think working it for 8 hours at a time would cause some fatigue. Even though 13 oz it has to be stiffer and less giving. Never used that blank so don't really know only thinking out loud.

Remember reading you recently had some surgery so maybe a lighter rated blank would cause less fatigue and be better for you long term. like has been said, every person is different only you know what works best for you. It just seems to me that a rod rated for 3-8 oz would naturally be stiffer than others.

My injuries have put quite a bit of limitation on me as far as doing hours on end of anything, I will now be fishing very specific tidal stages at different locations so tops 2 hrs. at a clip.I cannot injure my back or neck again or I may not be so lucky the next time, so I guess fishing is now a hobby rather then a sport for me. It might be time to go back to my roots and do some boat fishing, I just had to prove to myself and Dr. I wasn't going to lay down and die just yet.I can probably get by with just about any rod and just limit my time in the surf.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Quote Originally Posted by storminsteve View Post
    Good discussion. The most important thing I got out of it is that no one rod can do all things. thanks fellas
    That Avid kinda does it all for me, its 13.3 oz vs a Legend that is 11.6 oz, Mojo is 12.8
    But like others have stated, each of us looks for different characteristics in rods. I really like that I can cast the wide range of plugs with it. The tip end for loading the lighter plugs and then the rest of the rod handling the heavier plugs. When casting a 14" Hogy the rod has recovers real nice, powers the Hogy out there (lands kinda like where I wanted it to).

I, like many of you walk and cast, and cast while walking. I have been using a Lami blank, GSB1081M, for the past 14 years, I like it. Matter of fact, I use a 9 footer 99% of the time. When I like something I stick with it. It?s rated 1-3oz., but I find that 3 is pushing it. I don?t throw really big wood and pencils are a chore to get into rhythm for me with this blank. I throw small plugs, poppers and metal with it and only require one advil pre walk, instead of the 2 or 3 that I used to take with the previously used 9 foot S-glass. I'm walking open sandy beaches.

I find it comfortable, not heavy, loads up nicely and does most of the work for me on the cast. I have caught nice Bass, downtown blues, nice albies and freaking big cow nose rays on it, never let me down, although the operator has on occasion.

I totally agree that there is not a perfect rod or blank for all occasions, and you have to feel comfortable with your casts, to each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by surfwalker View Post
    I, like many of you walk and cast, and cast while walking. I have been using a Lami blank, GSB1081M, for the past 14 years, I like it. Matter of fact, I use a 9 footer 99% of the time. When I like something I stick with it. It's rated 1-3oz., but I find that 3 is pushing it.

Sounds like a real nice light rod.
    I sometimes use a Loomis, 8'10" also rated up to 3 oz, its about a 10 oz rod, throws the plugs you mentioned. Takes very little effort to cast. When I plan on throwing mostly plastic and small stuff I use this or another 9 footer have.

Well a couple years later.
    I had shoulder surgery late 2013, ended up getting a CTS Vapor Trail 11 foot rod, it weighs 10.8 oz.
    Its rated for 1-3 oz but I have thrown from 1/2 oz to 4.5 oz with it (4.5 oz Beast Darters).
    In 2014 my shoulder wasn't 100%, but I used the rod about 90 percent of the time and really liked it.
    In 2015 my shoulder was a 100 percent and I used the Vapor trail 98% of the time, awesome rod, amazed at how after 6 or 8 hours casting my shoulder felt great.
    Crazy light, easy casting, works pencils easy, sensitive, great in fighting fish.
    And it has been durable, I have fished with it on the rocks in Montauk and have not been easy on it, leaned on it at times in the water as a walking stick.

Its a custom rod, I paid a lot for it. One thing I have learned is when buying a custom rod its important to be as open with the guy making it as possible. Rich from CTS made it and it's everything I asked for. Others will use the same blank and the rod will come out very different. I got lucky and its perfect for me. Because I have seen my rod vs others with the same blank its been a great leaning experience. If you get a custom rod, be specific what you are looking for in the rod, discuss components and different guide layouts and the differences in the layouts (very important). What the effect the guide layouts will have on the rods action and feel.