On the Salmon River Pulaski NY a BIG SLUG of bright fresh steelhead arrivedthru the upper end of the river over last weekend. Some of those freshsteelhead I reported (last week) that came in with our last higher water flow were being found.
This means the entire river has some fresh metal, plus all the ones thathave been here for awhile. From the top of the Salmon River to the bottom,spread out. Just waiting here, for your perfectly cast (aheeeem) fly or bait.
-
Bank anglers and drift boat clients are having success from the top of the Salmon River to the bottom catching steelhead. (Starting to sound like a broken record?) Lot's of anglers out enjoying the warmer temp'sover last weekend, which is always nice to see.
Some folks would call it crowded. I'd call it good for the local economy! Plenty of room and steelhead for everyone to enjoy!
As we floated by one guide in the drift boat, he excitedly toldme that in this one spot he was fishing he had hooked up 15 steelhead.Before he could even finish his sentence to me he was tight to anothersteelhead. (All were released)
They were useing floats with either beads, skein, marabou jigs, worms,flies or egg sacks on center pin's. Super!!
All styles and fishing presentational tools are working, some better than other's.
-
What the above tells you is that there are plenty of steelhead around for all of you to enjoy. Good luck and go get'm!
-
-
Since its below 0 outside, this might warm you up - yukyuk
(For all Photo's - Please see profile or my websites - Fishing Report Page)
Lace is my newest endorsed referral guide. If Im not available to guide you,SHE CAN!
Fun GOOgle fishing link's with lot's of Salmon River NY steelheadand salmon fish pictures:
(To see links, Please see Profile or my websites - Fishing Report Page)
-
-
Would you believe I wrote this many flies ago in 99? Boy, how time fly's!

Complementary guide steelhead stalling tactic's tip's:
80% of the time these fish fighting techniques and stalling tactics will help. So don't blame me if you hit the 20%!
-
Throwing Slack:
We all love to see the somersaults, jumps; tail walks and torpedo runs they make. But, 50% of the time the show ends with no curtain call or encore performance. I prefer, after hooking-up, if it decides to show its colors and race down stream where I can't follow, to throw it slack. (Pull line off the reel A.S.A.P.) If hook set is good, it won't throw it and they normally quite down. The action it takes is due to the pressure it feel's. So by releasing the pressure it no longer feel's threatenedand will tend to stop on a dime. This allows you to regroup and take control. (With spinning rods, this has the same effect by opening the bail) Throwing it slack is also a great way to stop it's screaming run downstream into snags, deep water, (where you can't go) or at least slow it down so you can catch up.
-
Another effect that throwing it slack has is from where you are standing, your line (down stream) will form a bow in the water's currentback to the fish. The fish will feel the pressure of the current againstyour bow'd line and feel as if it is being pulled down river. This normallyresults in the fish slowly swimming back up river to where you had initiallyhooked it up. (These "happy fish" really do not want to leave that primelye where you had hooked it up) Then simply reel up your slack line andyou'll be surprised when at times the fish will be back, almost at yourfeet.
-
Walking the dog:

Here's another technique that has worked for me. If I'm working a piece of fast, deep water that is not easily waded. Upon hooking-up, I immediately lighten up and only bend the tip of the rod slightly. Remember what I said earlier about pressure? With only a slight bend in the rod tip, the fish feels little to no pressure and maintains its positionin the river. I then slowly move to a safer area and believe it or not,normally it will follow. Once I'm in a safe position, I give it to'em.It's miller time!
-
-
Not related to the Salmon River NY, but an interesting read onthe possible effects of Japan's nuclear reactor melt down on our Blue FinTuna stocks. Before reading this, the comments are a must read and areinteresting, humorous and some use foul language, so no kids allowed.http://topinfopost.com/2013/10/10/fu...re-radioactive
(Funny Photo)
-
Thought for the day:

In my opinion, if you had 2 anglers standing side by side. Onewas using a fly rod and the other a spin rod. The spin angler wouldget in 5 cast's out of every 4 that the fly angler makes. Over an entireday, the spin angler's bait, fly or lure would be in the water a substantial amount more than the fly angler. There by causing the spin angler a hirer percentage of opportunity because he is spending more time in the water. Lately with the water level flow being up, my fly anglers have been flexible to use a spin rod for this reason and more. It's paid off!
The other reason's I find a spin rod more productive when the water is up, is a spinning rod can throw it further and faster. Many of the present prime lye's Im guiding on off the drift boat are 100 feet or more casting distance to hit and cover.
Many of our fishing drift's cover 100 to 200 feet of the bottom. (This is also why float fishing is so productive) Due to the mechanical nature of a spin rod, it can retrieve the line faster than a fly angler can strip it in. Also, the mono draws less water so the guides dont freeze up as fast. These and more are all reason's that at times, a spinningrod can allow you greater opportunity, in my opinion.
( Now I just pissed off all the fly guy's - yukyuk)
(P.S. Many of the most experienced Steelhead anglers on the Salmon River will use both presentational tools. Depending on the current water level's and spot to be fished, offering them the greatest opportunity)
-
-
Con't below