Thread: The life of a clammer?

Hybrid View

Default The life of a clammer?

Was reading that thread about the lost clammer in raritan bay. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...in-raritan-bay Wondered if anyone on here knows about clamming and can you make any money at it?

don't know a lot about them but I do know its very hard work doesn't seem like its worth the money if it gets you killed.

I see a lot of them on the Sandy Hook clam beds and wonder who they sell them to. They are usually the boats with big homemade sails used to catch the wind and drift the boat in order to drag their clam rake along the bottom.

According to the NPS the clams at SH bayside are not suitable for human consumption hence the ban on harvesting them in the park. They are not the skimmer clams we use for bait so where do these clams go?

they use to sell them to the seafood guy by the highlands bridge(ocean side) he has or had huge tanks that they purged the clams before sale to seafood wholesalers who supplied seafood markets and restaurants

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Quote Originally Posted by J Barbosa View Post
    the clams at SH bayside are not suitable for human consumption hence the ban on harvesting them in the park. They are not the skimmer clams we use for bait so where do these clams go?
    Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    they use to sell them to the seafood guy by the highlands bridge(ocean side) he has or had huge tanks that they purged the clams before sale to seafood wholesalers who supplied seafood markets and restaurants
    I think they still do that. There are tanks at Bahrs bayside close to the water is that what you guys are talking about?

Ive seen the tanks at bahrs too. The belford guys don't use them because most of their clams are sold for bait and I believe that part of the industry is exempt. Also remember reading there is a depuration area in barnegat as well.