Thread: The life of a clammer?

Default The life of a clammer?

Was reading that thread about the lost clammer in raritan bay. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...in-raritan-bay Wondered if anyone on here knows about clamming and can you make any money at it?

don't know a lot about them but I do know its very hard work doesn't seem like its worth the money if it gets you killed.

I see a lot of them on the Sandy Hook clam beds and wonder who they sell them to. They are usually the boats with big homemade sails used to catch the wind and drift the boat in order to drag their clam rake along the bottom.

According to the NPS the clams at SH bayside are not suitable for human consumption hence the ban on harvesting them in the park. They are not the skimmer clams we use for bait so where do these clams go?

they use to sell them to the seafood guy by the highlands bridge(ocean side) he has or had huge tanks that they purged the clams before sale to seafood wholesalers who supplied seafood markets and restaurants

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Quote Originally Posted by J Barbosa View Post
    the clams at SH bayside are not suitable for human consumption hence the ban on harvesting them in the park. They are not the skimmer clams we use for bait so where do these clams go?
    Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    they use to sell them to the seafood guy by the highlands bridge(ocean side) he has or had huge tanks that they purged the clams before sale to seafood wholesalers who supplied seafood markets and restaurants
    I think they still do that. There are tanks at Bahrs bayside close to the water is that what you guys are talking about?

Ive seen the tanks at bahrs too. The belford guys don't use them because most of their clams are sold for bait and I believe that part of the industry is exempt. Also remember reading there is a depuration area in barnegat as well.

You folks ever see this movie? About the lives of clammers and the ups and downs.

They definitely have a tough life. I wouldn't do it not worth the $$ to me.

They finalized everything for Ed Broderick the missing clammer. thought some folks might want to know
    www.app.com May he rip.

Body found Friday identified as missing clammer Edward Broderick
    Mar. 24, 2014 1:45 PM |
    Comments

A 2013 file photo shows Edward Broderick, who was missing since Dec. 14, 2013, when his clamming boat sank. Broderick's body was found Friday off Captain's Cove Marina / Courtesy of Monmouth County Police, Fire & EMS

Written by
    Margaret F. Bonafide
    @mfbonafide

HIGHLANDS : The body found pulled from the water at the Captain?s Cove Marina Friday has been positively identified as that of missing clammer Edward Broderick, 39, of Sea Bright, said State Trooper Jeff Flynn.

According to authorities, Broderick was last heard from around 6 p.m. after he told a friend that his vessel was heading to a clamming facility in Highlands.
    OBITUARY: Edward John Broderick Jr.
    The friend reported him missing about four hours later, and Broderick?s submerged vessel was found outside the Captain's Cove Marina, where he originally intended to end his trip.
    Broderick worked off and on for Capt. Scott Hilliard, owner of the Prowler V, a party boat docked in Atlantic Highlands, who was very fond of him, he said in previous interviews.
    "We are really in shock about this. Everyone is saddened," Hilliard said at the time of his disappearance. "I feel horrible for his family. He had a 7-year-old daughter."
    PREVIOUS STORY: Friends of missing fisherman fear the worst
    Flynn said that while the investigation into Broderick' death remains open, there is no foul play suspected

Quote Originally Posted by buckethead View Post
    They definitely have a tough life. I wouldn't do it not worth the $$ to me.

Nor would I. Thought this video was pretty interesting though

"why do you do it if it's so hard?"
    "because I love it"

Very informative thanks for posting. Some clips from the 1970's.