Thread: Minnow Trap Under the ICE!

Thumbs up Minnow Trap Under the ICE!

Hey guys,

I was curious what the fish were doing under the ice so here it is! Pretty neat seeing spearing in the frozen ponds, they are supposed to be offshore lol

Obviously catching bait this time of year is slow lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a75e3E0oca8

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish246 View Post
    Hey guys,

I was curious what the fish were doing under the ice so here it is! Pretty neat seeing spearing in the frozen ponds, they are supposed to be offshore lol

Obviously catching bait this time of year is slow lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a75e3E0oca8

This is one of the coolest videos I have seen in a long time; Thank You!

Good job nice video.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Quote Originally Posted by J Barbosa View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by surfstix1963 View Post
    Good job nice video.
    Thanks guys! It is really neat to see what happens under the ice, let alone under the water!

Quote Originally Posted by J Barbosa View Post

Thank you as well. It's awesome to see someone get out there in the cold and show us that there is still some life despite winters cold grip.

Quote Originally Posted by cowherder View Post
    Thank you as well. It's awesome to see someone get out there in the cold and show us that there is still some life despite winters cold grip.
    ^^^^^
    What he said, cool video, thanks.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Well-done, dogfish.......

I'm sure you have your own ideas for thesis topics as you continue your education....
    However, one thing mentioned over and over by fishermen I know in different areas of NJ and LI has been the lack of estuary forage fish after Sandy, and how that gap in the subsequent months had affected fishing for many of us......

If you wanted to continue your thoughts and research on this, it could be helpful to a lot of us out there....Although a lot has been written on forage fish life cycles, to my knowledge there is no one out there documenting these things on video, to the extent you are, right now......

Please keep up the good work.
    You may not realize how important your research may become someday......and it's great to have someone with your enthusiasm sharing it with others......Best of luck in your continuing education....

Nice work thanks for sharing it.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    Well-done, dogfish.......

I'm sure you have your own ideas for thesis topics as you continue your education....
    However, one thing mentioned over and over by fishermen I know in different areas of NJ and LI has been the lack of estuary forage fish after Sandy, and how that gap in the subsequent months had affected fishing for many of us......

If you wanted to continue your thoughts and research on this, it could be helpful to a lot of us out there....Although a lot has been written on forage fish life cycles, to my knowledge there is no one out there documenting these things on video, to the extent you are, right now......

Please keep up the good work.
    You may not realize how important your research may become someday......and it's great to have someone with your enthusiasm sharing it with others......Best of luck in your continuing education....
    Thanks! And yea, I am looking at estuary forage fish right now. Ironically, our long term otter trawl data and barnegat bay otter trawl data doesnt have anything different that jumps out at us (without numerical analysis) from pre and post sandy... Might just be people's fishing spots are different and arent producing. But at this point, who knows.

^^^ I agree that there was a difference last year. Good to see someone on the ball looking into it. This year should be key to seeing if those bait fish will come back strong.