Thread: New Smyrna beach in florida- any advice?

Default New Smyrna beach in florida- any advice?

I will be heading to new Smyrna beach the first week of july. any tips on what I can catch in the surf (I know spinner sharks for sure!) I also read pompano- anything else?

I would like to fly fish for reds- any tips on where I can wade safely to tailing redfish? I don't want to end up as alligator bait

many thanks!
    Rob

I have been to that area to visit my grandparents. Go to the Smyrna Dunes park area. You can fish the inlet near the ocean or towards the back of it. There are always these small whiting fish in the surf, some pompano, and small jacks. You can buy shrimp from any bait shop they are cheap and fresh. You can throw them out with a 1-3 oz sinker depending on where you are and what stage of the tide. In the ocean or inlet you will need to go heavier. These small fish are a lot of fun to catch and sometimes they catch sharks in the inlet too. As for the flyfishing dont know much about that its a bait game for most of the fishermen there but if you can catch them on bait you might be able to entice them on a fly.
    Good luck and post some pics when you come back!

Quote Originally Posted by robmedina View Post
    I will be heading to new Smyrna beach the first week of july. any tips on what I can catch in the surf (I know spinner sharks for sure!) many thanks!
    Rob

Sometimes the sharks are a little bigger than spinners here is a vid where they target and hook a huge bull shark. Sebastian inlet. Look at the gear they are using and you know its a big one. Smoked them but looked like a blast anyway.

^^^^Dogfish- yeah I saw that video before and looked it up. Sebastian inlet is at least an hour south of me and is a little better for snook and tarpon then where I will be. I am going to hire a guide. A birthday gift from my family. The guide said he should be able to put me on some tarpon and bull reds near shore and then hit the mosquito lagoon for some tailing reds. should be awesome, I can't wait!