Jan. 25 Salmon River Pulaski NY Steelhead Drift Boat Guide Spin Fly Fishing Report Update:
Fresh steelhead and old'r steelhead abound on the Salmon River NY. Steelhead are top to bottom of the Salmon River. 93% are hold'n in the Winter lyes. The other 7% are in a transitional state.
For your BEST opportunities, fish where most of the fish are compressed and concentrated for this water flow.
I wouldn't leave out hitting some of your favorite and most productive transitional holding spot's either, while we havesome steelhead in a transitional stage that have entered the riverrecently with this higher water flow.
This iswhat has worked the best for my guest's during the Winter time.
-
Expect the water to drop further with no rain, no above freezing temp's. or run-off forecasted in the near future.)
-
Pulaski NY 7 Day Weather Forecast

Looks like some snow, wind and cold temp's in the forecast? How unusual - yukyuk
(For all Photo's, Please visit my Profile to Fishing Report link)
(Photo - Hot Chick Fishing!)
Now back to our regularly scheduled programing.............
-
-
Last week Mark fished 2 spots for some fresh chromes. He played w/ a couple older steelhead and found 2 bright fresh steelhead that had just recently arrived due to our last high water period. (As predicted and forecast - such a nice guide)
Played w/ 7-8 total for the day with our biggest landed steelhead weighing in @ 10 lb's. bright Silver Freshie! WOW! What a fight! Before you could blink an eye it was 100 feet into our backing off the fly rod.
Didn't think we would be able to pull it back againstthe current in 1,800 cfs, but we did. Congrats Mark! (All fish released)
It's funny how these exciting steelhead can make you do funny things? Mark is hooked up to a reeeeel burner. He was sooooo excited he backed up 20 feet into the woods with his rod bent and his reeeel drag singing the fishermans national anthem. He was surrounded by trees and bush's?
I excitedly "politely" asked him to come back to the bank to help in fighting and landing his steelhead. Which we did!
I chucked to myself and remembered my first fish here on the Slam'n Salmon River. It's funny who these fish will do that to you.
-
As Usual
Last trip we spent the first hour of the morning learning how to run a proper 100% drift, as usual. No fish were caught during this time period as we had to get thru the ollearning curve first, as usual.
Fish were there, as usual. BUT we wouldn't have a chance in playing with any until we achieved our presentational goals, as usual.
After the first hour, after my last presentationaltip, which they both implemented successfully - ALL HELL Broke Lose w/ one after the other!! We hit 8 steelhead and landed 3, in 1 - 2hr. period! WOW!!
Fished a coupl'a other spots, I accidentally hooked one up while checking the drift out. Nothing after that, looked at my watch, time to hit the ramp. My professional goals were all met, my clients goals were all easily met, jus another day @ the office Randy

(P.S. One fish was kept for the dinner table and allothers released)
-
Unique amazing colorful Steelhead Photo! I've never seen one like that before.
Viewed @ - Im not posting links to my social media pagesas these report's are going all over the net and on some website's (whereIm NOT a paid advertiser) they dont want them, which I tottally understandand can appreciate!
-
Do salmon find their way back home through scents? There's a way to find out!
Marcus Welker is a 4th year PhD student at DartmouthCollege studying salmon migration in the Northeast United Statesand southern Quebec, Canada.
His hypotheses and methods are both surprising and fascinating ? check out his interview @ - Im not posting links to my social media pages as these report's are goingall over the net and on some website's (where Im NOT a paid advertiser) theydont want them, which I tottally understand and can appreciate!
-
-
Todays Dumb Guide Humor:
Today my guest's laughingly suggested that we should call the sweet spot in the run, Randy's G Spot. Today we reached maximum pleasure by fishing some of the finest, most enjoyable, exciting Gspots on the river.
The only trouble we had was finding it. (I know, pretty lame
-
Today's Mail Bag:
Hello, Your site has been just about the onlything keeping me sane over the past 9 months. Missed the salmonand early runs of steelhead, but it looks like I'll be back in thestates around the middle of Feb, providing things don't go too sourdown ---------. My buddy and I, Knowles, are looking to hook upduring the end of Feb. until the end, so what have you got open? If youcould provide me a schedule it would be greatly appreciated. Later. LAV
-
Turns out there are a few military anglers checking my reports from far away! I'm very flattered and hope what I've written has helped you day dream a lil!
-
Randy,
I had a lot of 2's yesterday while fishing on the river, 0 for 2 I was, it was 2 cold, 2 wet (baptized myself in 10 degree weather) and 2 hard to walk cause everything was Ice. Still , Beat the hell out of work. May all your flies get bitten!
-
Hi John, Thanks for the chuckle, you've made the web site again!! Maybe I should just ask you to write them for me! Congrats! Randy
-
(Photo)
An old photo from the archives I ran across. Can't remember where, when, but its a big steelhead from this river. You can tell its big by looking at my left hand and the gap between my thumb andfingers on the tail.
-
Winter Spin Tip for the Day:
When spin fishing in the winter time, being able tosee your line while on your drift and using a mono that is soft becomes critical. Having these two advantages well increase your catch rate.
-
1. Being able to see you line:
Since overcast, dark days are the norm on the riverduring the Winter time. A clear mono is hard to follow. A brightermono will help you visually detect the pauses and hesitations ofthose light biters or snags.
-
2. Using a soft mono:
A stiff mono is almost impossible to use during thewinter time because it maintains to much memory. Coils, knots andtangles are the result and when it's cold, it's no fun to be untanglingknots instead of fishing. It's imperative to find a good soft mono forwinter Steelhead fishing with a spin rod.
-
The mono I use and am very happy with is Ande EnvoyPremium Mono . It is pre tested to assure it won't "over test"its IGFA weight class. It is common knowledge that most folks whoare going for a IGFA record on mono use Ande. It is specifically formulatedto be softer and has super knot strength.
My guest's and I have enjoyed using the "Envy Green"Ande for many years.
-
My guests can see it easily on the worst days. Goodfor low light. If fishing around other anglers in a popular spot,they can see it too. This cuts down on a lot of tangles created whenthey cast over your line or when you have a fish on, they can easilysee where your fish is at.
This normally happens when they can not see your line or are not paying attention. We were all new once.
-
By using a softer mono in the winter time and taking advantage of the visual aspects of a brighter line in the winter time. It will give you many of the advantages needed to consistently increase your productivity. (jus my opionion)
-
-