Welcome Back to Your Salmon River Pulaski NY Fishing Report - Author Randy Jones
MORE steelhead have entered and are running theSalmon River Pulaski NY as I type this. Spreading out and settlinginto all their normal Winter lyes. PLUS all the ones that havealready entered and spread out over the entire length, top to bottomof the Salmon River NY over the last several month's. Some Prime Transitional Holding and ALL Prime Winter Holding spots are all with steelhead.
-
Current forecasted water flow until Sat - 1,800cfs.With colder air temp's and no rain or run-off in the near future.We will - should see the water level start to drop shortly.
FYI - As always, please remember to check the water line forecast, actual flow @ Pineville and weather before making the trip up. We've had a couple of high water periods and some wicked weather this season.
Also, what is forecast for water levels is not always 100% accurate! So please always use caution.
-
Starting shortly, the weather man is forecasting much coooooolder air temp's for around here into next month.
Have heard and seen lately that they hadclosed down Int. 81 due to lake effect snow and Rt. 3 by Sandy Creekdue to massive ice jam's. Saw on the news last night (Wed.) wheresome incredible ice flows had come over the river bank and destroyed numerous mobile homes, camp's and storage sheds. Now there concernedabout fresh water and possible damage to well's. Those folks up that'away have had a tuff Winter! Ton's of snow! The video's on the news reminds me of what it usually looks like around here.
Hopefully, mother nature will re-supply us with amuch larger snow base with a lot of water content. We lost a lotof it in our last 2 thaws and rainy periods. This well help withour Spring Steelhead river flows.
-
-
Guest Guided Fishing Report:
Randy, can you reeeeelly fish in 1,800 cfs plus run off useing a fly rod? This is a pretty normal Q. My guest's concerns were unwarranted, we did and were very successful in doing so. My guest's played with approx. 15 steelhead over the course of our day. I even accidentally (yukyuk) hooked up 4 steelhead while demonstrating proper presentation to my clients. I "jokingly" told them I was the Tiger Woods of steelhead fishing - yukyuk. Fish on and then, eventually off, was a pretty normal phrase for the day among ourselves and other anglers. Whenever your fishing with a higher water flow you'll also have more current. Making it tuffer to land them. We were successful in landing some, came reeeel close on others. All in all, another successful steelhead fishing day of many with my guest's!
-
Want to see the Salmon River NY in 1,800 cfsduring the Winter and what snow we have left after the thaw?Check out this short funny video my guest's made as we floated downthe Salmon River Pulaski NY off the drift boat the other day.
You might just recognize the guy - guide rowingthe drift boat and doing some Impromptu advertising - The Steelhead fishing of your dreams...... ............ we'll make it reeeeeeeeeeeeeel.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huyYx...ature=youtu.be
Family comments after I sent them the video link:
People pay you for that? Looks like too much fun! Mike Jones
OK, Tiger! Some good footage! Beth
That's the same river you took us on and we thought we recognized the scenery of it. Send more video's, Love, Mom
Cool video. So different in the winter. I can?timagine why anyone would want to go when it?s so cold out. Iagree with Mom ? send more videos! Susan
Love it Rand! I've been laughing my butt off. Thanks. They seem like fun people. Mary
-
Thanks again guys! I had a blast! Thanks forthe video! Can't wait to do it allllll over again soon.
Best Fish's,
Randy

-
On another recent guided trip my 2 guest's werePaul and John. The water was 1,800 cfs plus run off and therepreference was to use fly rods.
Hmmm, I wanted to place them on the bank so they could spread out a lil (sometimes its a lil tight fishing from the boat) and keep there feet warmer rather then freezing them in the cold river water. (I had noticed in the dark they were useing pull over lace up boots with breathable waders.) I also wanted to obviously place them in an area that had a large concentration of compressed steelhead in 1,800 cfs. I also had to find a location where we would have this type of habitat where the steelhead would be close to the bank. It's a lil tuff to throw the fly rod 100 feet or more And lastly, in thiswater flow a spot where the current wasn't RIP'N!
Simple enouph! - yukyuk
As we floated down the Salmon River in the drift boat in the dark, came hopes for a good steelhead day on the river.
I pulled the drift boat over to the bank in thedark in a good Winter Lye that full filled my professional goalsfor today. Few bundled up anglers out early that beat me to the spot. I introduced myself and politely asked them where they were fishing (first person on the spot gets it I asked if they would mind if I fished 1 guy from the boat and one guy below on the bank, out of their way. They said SURE! I then offered my portable propane heater to them and also my loooong handled net to help them in landing their fish in this higher flow. We chatted a lil about the current fishing, water levels and exchanged pleasantries.
I thanked them for there hospitality!
My 2 guest's had to "happily" work for all the fish we found. Scattered a lil, concentrated a little, picked awayat them. They played with approx. 7-8 steelhead w/ one coming reeeel close to the net before breaking off. No fish were landed but wesure had fun try'n! The anglers above us landed a beauty of approx.8 lb. female steelhead. (Released) I congratulated the angler onhis success. He was ginning from ear to ear and giddy with the excitementof it all!
-
-
Hears a "clean" joke my sister just sent me:
Men's Minds Just Work Differently
A caring husband sees his wife is busy in the kitchen and offers to help.
(For all Photo's, Please visit my Profile to Fishing Report link)
He: ?My dear, what can I do to help you??
She: ?Take this bag of potatoes, peel half of them, and put them in the big pot to cook.?
-
-