Thread: Pulaski NY steelhead river fish guide spin fly fish report salmon river

Default Pulaski NY steelhead river fish guide spin fly fish report salmon river

Pulaski NY steelhead river fish guide spin fly fish report salmon river.
    On the Salmon River Pulaski NY we continue to see reeeel nice steelhead fishing action. Top to bottom of the Salmon River NY is hold'n some nice fresh and old'r steelhead. Proper Habitat (according to the current water flow and its relationship to the current breaks) Presentation and Rigging become imperative to your success's on these steelhead. Thistip comes w/a $ back guarantee - yukyuk.
    -
    Until 11:59 PM today, Sat, 285 CFS - (Please check for current flows, as thiscould have changed)
    A few lower water flow advantages:
    1. This will compress and concentrate the steelhead more. Giving you greateropportunity!
    2. The water - current breaks - holding pools, will be much easier to read.
    3. Most wade anglers prefer this flow. It's easier to fish, wade, access your spots, safer, most anglers know how to fish this lower flow as they aremore used to it and its a lil easier to land that Trophy Steelhead of a lifetimewith less current.
    4. In some places, you'll be able to cross the river to reach some of your favorite fishing holes. (dependent of current water levels) Holding some steelheadthat have seen very lil angler pressure of late. When the water was @ 1,800cfs (couldn't cross the river) I noticed some folks walking over a mile indeep snow to reach some of these spots. I would always joke with them andask them if they wanted a ride back to there car in my drift boat I'dhave to give them prop's for their efforts as normally they would be theONLY angler fishing a hole that had numerous uneducated, unpressured steelheadin them!
    Warning! - Crossing the river@ this time of the year, no matter the flow, is not recommended for yourpersonal safety. (Please see below in last update - Safety related to Wading Video's - could save your life)
    -
    Advantages of fishing after a loooong wicked cold spell:
    Wicked cold temps have kept many a steelhead angler away, providing you presently with numerous unpressured steelhead. They are alllll here, just waitingfor your perfectly cast (ahemmm) fly, egg sack, jig, worm or bead.
    -
    Warning! - Please be careful standing on any shelf ice while fishing. It could break on you and it COULD be over your head deep. ALWAYS know the depth of water underneath you before standing on it to fish. I know from experince...... but..... THATS.... another story....... yukyuk
    -
    Fish Jokes:
    I just got a new fishing rod and reel for my wife??best trade I evermade.
    -
    Give a man a fish and he has food for a day; teach him how to fish and you can get rid of him for the entire weekend.
    Zenna Schaffer
    -
    I only fish on days that end in ?Y?
    -
    Kids Fish Jokes: (The answers are at the bottom) - See how many you can get without looking. Smarter than a 6th grader? - yukyuk
    -
    1. Who does a fish call when his piano breaks?
    2. Why are fish so clever?

3. Why is a fish easy to weigh?

4. Where does a fish keep his money?

5. What do you call a fish without an eye?

-

Answers:
    1. The piano tuna
    Because they swim in schools
    Because it has its own scales
    In the river bank
    A fsh
    -
    My interpretation of what this 30 mph windy "white out" Lake Effect Snow looks like outside my office window right now. (Minus thumb holding piece of white paper)
    (For all Photo's, Please visit my Profile to Fishing Report link)
    -
    Heard you guys on the East coast got a dusting recently.
    Soooo, this morn'n I head's outside to clean the fresh "Lake Effect"snow off both drift boats. I put's on my snow boot's expecting the 5-8inch's which was forecast. (Jus a dust'n around these here parts I get's 50 feet out into it and realize my boots are no longer visible?
    So....... I head's back in and put's on my deeper snow boots. Therean old pair of neoprene chest waders I cut off at the knees. I get's another150 feet out by the boats and realize the snow is up to my thigh's andmy deep snow boot's are no longer visible?
    So.............. I head's back in a second time and put's on myWinter chest waders, extreme cold Winter parka, arctic mitt'sthat come up to my elbows and full face fleece mask w/gator. All was well in the world............
    -
    -
    Inspiring Fishing Quotes
    Patrick F. McManus
    There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm.
    -
    Henry David Thoreau
    Everyone should believe in something; I believe I?ll go fishing.
    -
    Sparse Grey Hackle
    The trout do not rise in the cemetery, so you better do your fishing while you are still able.
    -
    -
    I'm very lucky, to do what I enjoy and share it with all of you. With the sunrise came hopes for a good day on the river.
    The adrenaline was over flowing at warp speeeeeeeed.
    Mark picks up a 10 lb. approx. freshie that had just made it into this spot over the last few days useing a fly rod in 1,800 cfs. I might add, it was his first steelhead ever! What a beauty! Congrats Mark! (Fish released)
    -
    From the Mail Bag:
    Randy, Nice web pages. What is an Oregon Cheese Egg Fly?
    -
    You roll a pieceof oregon cheese into a ball and place it on a hook and wing it out there. If you don't catch anything on it, then you can always eat the cheese!
    Just kidding. It?s a color that a manufacture of glow bug yarn has used to imitate the natural color of Salmon, steelhead etc.. eggs. We tie small egg flies to imitate the naturals. Its like matching the hatch???
    When the salmon start laying eggs the steelhead come into the river to specifically eat them, so its one of the best flies in the fall. Go get'm! Randy
    -
    -

Todays Humorous FISH TAILS
    Time Out's:
    Randy' Thanksfor the great trip! We have been steelhead fisherman for a number of years, and I might add with some success, but on Wednesday we were students. Thanks fornot giving us a time out! John and Archie
    -
    Thanks Guys, you don't know how close you both came! (Just kidding of course) Randy
    -
    When was the last time YOU had a Time Out? Your never to old.
    Multiple choice:
    Time outs are something I "suggest" to some of my clients -
    -
    1. When you act up or miss behave, but are to old to spank.
    Laughing out loud or smiling to much is probably the number 1 reason for time out's on my boat. This fishing stuff is way to serious to be having fun! -yukyuk
    -
    2. When you don't listen to me. (After I have "politely and professionally"- "politely, repeatedly and professionally" explained the same thing 50 times over with visual aids and suchwhile you continue to not get it?) - (You know who you are)
    -
    3. Casting into the same trees on the far bank more than once, after I've explained that most of the time you'll catch many more fish if your in the water. Hey Ken, been back to Ken's grove lately? In Ken's case, instead of suggesting to himto take a time out, I simply named the an entire row of tree's after him. In his defense, he did really only have about a 2 foot window to cast underneath those tree branch's. To this day,those tree's always make me smile from ear to ear and chuckle when I pass them by. Boy, if my memory is correct, we hit somenice fish that day, didn't we Ken?!
    -
    4. When you get snagged on the same rock 5 cast's in a row when its 20 below zero and I have to re-tie all those knots.
    -
    5. When you put my $700 reels in the water when it's below freezing, causing everything to freeze up rock solid and become totally non-functional. (One day, 10 seconds after suggesting that we try our best to keep the reels out of the water, yup, you guessed it.) I told that guest that I was booked solidfor the next 50 years so I unfortunately would not be able to take him out again. (Just kidding, of course)
    -
    6. When you reach out to chip the ice out of the guides you break the tip off my $500 rod. Making my 2 piece into a 3 piece. (This happens a lot more than you would think. Expensive rods are meant to be flexed fully) Or when reaching out the reel drop's into the water freezing it up rock solid.
    -
    7. When stopping on the trail to re-tie your shoe laces and you set my $500 rod down and break the tip off my rod.
    8. While battling a Salmon you put their hand above the cork and explode my $500.00 rod.
    9. Instead of letting the fish run, you clamp down on the line, palm the reel or hold the handle which breaks the fish off or breaks my $500 rod.
    10. All of the above
    -
    Without all thefrozen reels, bad cast's, poor presentations and broken rods I would have never come up with the above "Time Out -Fish Tail" joking post. Hope you enjoyed it as much as Idid writing it!
    -
    More "Fish Tails" coming thru out the season, so please stop back.
    Countless people have been guided by me and most have gone on to live normal lives.
    Be careful out there or YOU could be the next "Fish Tale". (The above fish tales were written and told with a smile and in fun)
    -
    -

I cant guarantee 20'lb. Steelhead, but here are a couple that we found.
    This could be you! Ye-Haaaa!
    A couple of 20lb. Steelhead Bucks from the Salmon River, N.Y. - Ye-haa! (Released for your future fishing pleasure)
    -
    -
    Creeks, Streams, Rivers - Winter into Spring
    (Client - **** Koelling photo credit)
    Bright fresh Spring Steelhead
    -
    Typically, the other ?best time? to fish for steelhead is just around the corner. End of Feb., March and all of April can be ?prime time? for steelhead as there is not only leftover winter steelhead, but also fresh runs of springtime fish. Winter thaws and early spring rains generate runs of steelhead. The water temperature will rise along with their metabolic rate, so they will be much more apt to move for a fly or bait. Normally, the whole river, creeks and streams are alive because you're fishing transitional areas and holding-resting points. When the Salmon River is running high due to run-off, its prime time to walk the many miles of streams and creeks in the area. Ever try to land a 10-pound Steelie in a small creek? It?s not easy, but lots of fun! Once ice-out has happened in the smaller tributaries that run into Lake Ontario north and south of the Salmon River, it?s a great time to explore! These tribs will all have fresh chromers moving in.

Imagine walking up a small stream 20 feet wide, light colored bottom, crystal clear water, through the forest and seeing 10-20 Steelhead, 8-12 pound average in one to four feet of water and not seeing a single other person all day. Sound like Alaska? Nope, believe it or not there are several areas not far from here where this is possible. Many of the creeks and streams feeding into Lake Ontario have steelies in them, but only a few that I?ve found are hidden away in a beautiful pristine environment without any or many other anglers. Normally the Salmon River will flood at least once during the spring. Knowing the optional creeks and streams in the surrounding area to fish during this flooding can sometimes save your trip. Due to possible increasing angler pressure to these areas, (which they can not handle) names will not be printed. Let?s just call them, "Pucker Brush Creek's.?
    Bottom line: Any month is a good month, providing the fish are there. Which they always are. Just depends on number's. And no one can forecast that.

Happy Hookin,
    Randy Jones
    -
    -
    Anywaaaaays, thats my story for today and Im sticking with it.
    No fish were hurt in the writing of this report.
    Im a trained professional, so please do not try this at home
    Now get back to work before the boss catch's you on here. (Unless of course, you ARE the boss, then stay as long asyou want)
    -
    -
    Hello to all the armed forces that read my reports from around the world. Fishing you a safe stay and returnhome. Thanks for your service!
    -
    Thats it for this week's Rambling's...... I think I covered all the important stuff.
    -
    May all your door knobs smell of "Happy New Year" Steelhead!
    -
    Thank you all for your words of encouragement, kind words and continued support. Ill continue to do my best in sharing what I've learned through experience, experimentation, borrowed ideas and taught techniques.
    Stay tuned for more entertainingly informative and mildly educational reports and articles on this never-ending virtual fishing trip with your host Randy "The Yankee Angler" and friends.
    I sincerely hope that what little I've been able to share with you will help you along the path to more enjoyable, safe and knowledgeable fishing.

Thanks for stopping in and spending your valuable internet fishing time here I'm flattered as usual!
    Hope your all enjoying this great fishing!
    The Steelhead fishing of your dreams...... ............ we'll make it reeeeeeeeeeeeeel.

Randy
    -
    -
    #pulaski #salmonriver #ny #steelhead #fishing #fish #flyfishing #fishingreport #pulaskiny #trout #salmonriverny #fishingsalmonriver #fishingpulaski #fishingpulaskiny #fishingguide #guidesalmonriver

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Jones View Post
    4. When you get snagged on the same rock 5 cast's in a row when its 20 below zero and I have to re-tie all those knots.
    -
    haha Ive done that lol. question, when a person you are taking out breaks your rod, reel or tip, doesn't he have to pay for it? If I did that to someones gear I wouldn't be happy with myself but would pay for it just the same.

Quote Originally Posted by plugcrazy View Post
    haha Ive done that lol. question, when a person you are taking out breaks your rod, reel or tip, doesn't he have to pay for it? If I did that to someones gear I wouldn't be happy with myself but would pay for it just the same.
    Hi Plug,
    In my line of work, I find it critical to have all my gear carry a warranty.
    Here is a partial - editted funny piece thats going up on next weeks fishing report you might enjoy
    Randy
    -

Important things to remember when fishing the Salmon River:
    1. Its better to reel IN a fish than reel OUT a fish.
    2. Treat every rock like a fish. When trying to unsnag yourself off a rock and your rock starts to swim upstream its probably not a ROCK!
    3. Fishing rods are like fine china. When handled correctly they work fine. When you put your hand above the cork on the graphite for extra leverage on a BIG King or Coho Salmon it explodes like a gun going off in your face! This is very similar to dropping your mother's finest china on a hard floor.
    4. Bring a spare rod in case you do number 3.
    5. If you do number 3 and its your guides rod, tip them a little extra for the overnight shipping charges they will incur.