NJ WIR 7-21-08

Well folks we are now settling into the "summer doldrums" pattern.

Fish are around, but the prize that many are looking for, striped bass, has become more difficult to locate and catch a decent one. The seasoned fishermen are still hooking up, but even they have nights in a row without success. Those catching fish right now are truly dedicated, and use their years of experience and flexibility to figure out what works best for that night. This changes depending on time of tide, bait present, and stage of the moon.

Coming off the full moon, fishing should improve this week. The fluke are getting bigger, but people are still upset at all the throwbacks to get through to a legal keeper. Bluefish have not started to attack lures and bait in the surf, and this is a little later than last year, but boaters are pulling them in from 1-5 miles offshore. They should make their presence know to surfcasters within the next week or so, and maybe sooner to night fishermen.

Weakfish are more abundant in the back bays, and cow nosed rays and sharks are becoming more prevalent. Please be very careful if you hook a big ray, folks. Most can be handled and released without freaking out, but some can cause damage, and terrible infections if you get spiked by one. Proceed cautiously.

Offshore, there is a good tuna bite developing, with tuna up to the 250lb class reported by those who can afford the fuel for the long canyon trips. Most tuna caught are smaller than this.

Some smaller bluefin have been taken on the inshore lumps, and these areas should be considered before making the far offshore canyon treks.

The one thing I want to mention in this week's reports is that there are literally thousands of sea robins being caught every day by anglers who really are not happy about it. Combined with the less desirable skates and dogfish, people consider all of these fish trash, and quite often discard them right on the shore line or jetty area. Although they may be a nuisance, they are part of the food chain.

I know dogfish are supposed to be endangered. I disagree with this premise, but it's the law that we are not allowed to keep or discard them. Again, even though many may not agree, I recommend we all follow the laws and regulations. The time to change something like that is when the next assessment hearings come up. Register your protests then.

In the meantime, please consider the enjoyment of others if you really feel you need to kill these fish and just leave them lying around. It's just not respectful, or sportsmanlike. Beyond that, you can actually eat these fish if they are big enough (of course not the dogfish). If anyone can try to post some recipes for sea robins and skates, I would appreciate it.

For the kids, snapper bluefish are getting bigger in the back bays. In a week or 2, you will be able to take your younger children fishing for snappers, a great summertime introductory experience. For those who like good fights for the kids on light tackle, porgies are now available in some back bay areas, and croakers and kingfish are available in some southern surf areas for those using small pieces of clam or fishbites.

NY WIR 7-21-08

The back bays are still producing bass during low light periods. There are now roving schools of bluefish moving around and slashing the developing snappers and peanut bunker.

There are also some very nice sized jumbo porgies to be found in certain back bay areas.

Out front, the inlet areas have again been the best producers, and areas near Montauk and further north giving folks the best chance for a bigger bass, with a record caught a few days ago in Rhode Island.

Although fluking is frustrating, more keepers are being caught, particularly in the LI sound area.

Finally, the distant hurricanes are producing a significant swell out there, and some strong rip currents. Several drownings have recently happened because of this. Please be ever-watchful if you or your children are out there. Don't just leave it up to the lifeguards.

It only takes a few seconds for something to change from "serious" to "tragedy". Please be extra careful out there this week, folks. It always saddens me when I read these drowning and accident reports.