Thread: Doing it on your own

Default Doing it on your own

Thought this was pretty inspirational

Biz Beat: Fort Erie man tackling the lure industry

By Matt Day, Niagara Falls Review
    Wednesday, September 11, 2013 5:39:44 EDT PM

FORT ERIE - Lately Fort Erie's Kyle Johnston is spending more of his free time in the basement than out on the boat.
    That's because when he isn't fishing, or fighting fires with the Fort Erie Fire Department, or supply teaching with the District School Board of Niagara, the 28-year-old angler is managing his own fishing lure business.
    My buddies jokingly say I have a disease, which is kind of true, said Johnston from his sister's Fort Erie house, the basement doubling as the workshop for Johnston Lure Co.

The venture started in February last year, but he said the passion can be traced back to his time spent fishing with his parents along the Niagara River.
    Now, the young entrepreneur has clientele from across southern Ontario and western New York taking the bait for the muskie lures he creates.

Ranging from a couple inches in length to almost a foot in length, Johnston has a "wall of fame" of his own lures he keeps as mementos to a hobby-turned-business.
    "I made my first lure at 14. I made it at my grandma's house on this old, ghetto lathe, he said, pointing to it hanging on the wall. "It was crude, but I've come a long way since then."

He spent years studying professionals and reading and watching videos about lure making : how to seal the wood properly, what patterns fish are attracted to, how to get the lures to move a certain way in the water and is beginning to see it pay off with more than 100 custom-made lures sold and his products being put on the shelves in Niagara-based bait and tackle shops.

It takes about a month-and-a-half to go from a block of cedar wood to a finished lure, but Johnston said his customers don't seem to mind the wait especially when they can go to his website, www.johnstonlurecompany.com, and build their own lure.

Some want lures to dive to a certain depth. Others are looking for a lure with horizontal lines on the front, spots on the back and painted to look like a perch.

There's even a pink lure with the breast cancer ribbon painted on it and, yes, they do work, Johnston said, as he personally gets to try out every type of lure he makes his favourite perk to the business.

It's a niche market for sure. A lot of guys who muskie fish understand the importance behind good tackle and quality lures, he said. It's just as easy to buy a $10 lure at a department store, but every fish in the Niagara River has seen a Rapala. Sometimes they want something more unique.

Johnston keeps a picture of one of his regular customers from St. Clair pinned to the wall behind his work bench for what he said acts as inspiration.
    I want to have that claim to fame that every lure with my name on it I've started and finished, he said. My dream isn't necessarily about money, it's more of a legacy. I want to leave a legacy I made good, good lures.

It's also about not exceeding what he's able to produce. Johnston is adamant he's not about to let his business outgrow him and likes the idea of getting to know his customers and what they're looking for.
    His lures sell for between $12 and $50 and can be purchased on his website or at Peter's Tackle and Bait in St. Catharines and Grimsby Tackle.

http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/2...-lure-industry

Quote Originally Posted by rockhopper View Post
    Biz Beat: Fort Erie man tackling the lure industry
    Johnston keeps a picture of one of his regular customers from St. Clair pinned to the wall behind his work bench for what he said acts as inspiration.
    I want to have that claim to fame that every lure with my name on it I've started and finished, he said. My dream isn't necessarily about money, it's more of a legacy. I want to leave a legacy I made good, good lures.

It's also about not exceeding what he's able to produce. Johnston is adamant he's not about to let his business outgrow him and likes the idea of getting to know his customers and what they're looking for.
    good for him. Nice read thanks for sharing.

It's a tough business nowadays that's good someone is surviving the lure business it is not as easy as one may think.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

so true he says sometimes it takes a couple hours to make one plug he can't be making much money at it has to be a labor of love.