Thread: How Barometric Pressure Affects Fishing

Default How Barometric Pressure Affects Fishing

How Barometric Pressure Affects Fishing

I was asked recently to explain the effect of weather, and especially barometric pressure, on fishing. I certainly knew that changes in the weather had an effect, but I couldn't explain it. So, it was time to do some research. Here is what I learned.

There is definitely a relationship between barometric pressure and fishing results. In a nutshell, the theory is that dropping air pressure brings on feeding activity, rising pressure turns the fish off feeding, high pressure results in the fish moving to shallower water, and low pressure results in fish moving to deeper water. Just to get your bearings, normal air pressure is 30inHg. A reading of 30.5 is considered very high and 28.5 is considered very low.

The basic premise is that changing air pressure affects the swim bladder of fish. A lower pressure will move a fish to deeper water seeking the higher water pressure on their swim bladder. Theory has it that just before a change from high pressure to low pressure, fish will bite like crazy and then stop biting when the pressure gets low. A rising barometer will cause fish rise back to shallower water.

There is also some merit to the fact that changing barometric pressure also affects clouds, wind, and rain which can all affect your fishing. In summary, high pressure (above 30) will bring fish shallower and they will seek cover from structure. Rising pressure means clearing skys so fish shallower and with bright colors. Falling pressure is the best feeding time. Lower pressure usually means it is cloudy and you need to fish with a deeper running lure and at a slower retrieval speed because fish are more sluggish.

Hopefully this information is helpful; however you should keep some notes as you fish to begin drawing your own conclusions about the weather and barometric pressure.

http://www.fishing-news.us/search/label/fishing%20tips

Buckethead--

I suspect the fellow who was asked to "explain the effect of...barometric pressure on fishing" is NOT quite an angler. He's got it all backwards.

High pressure means clear, bright skies. Fish go deep. If they're in shallow water, they hold tight, real tight to structure. I've seen largemouth bass virtually wedged between the stems of lily pads when the pressure is high. You have to drop a lure, oh so slowly, right passed their snouts if you hope for a hook up. They don't chomp, they inhale.

Low pressure generally means low light. What do stripers do in low light? What do almost any fish do? They come up from the deep to prowl the shallows.

(The only time I give barometric pressure much serious consideration is when I'm fishing still water, like ponds, or lakes that have lots of shallows.)

Thanks for pointing that out paumonak. I haven't had the chance to get into barometric pressure yet. I still have a lot to learn.

I have a lot to learn as well. I know a guy who checks the pressure all the time, and times his fishing trips for when the pressure is falling. I guess there are a lot of other factors involved, too.

There is a good book that explains what effect barametric pressure has on fishing. It's called "The Fishermans Ocean" How marine science can help you find and catch more fish by David A. Ross, Ph.D. The basic jist of his explanation is that barametric change does not effect the fish as much as what pressure changes cause. Less air pressure on the water can mean higher water levels, as much as 6" and can infuence current speeds or where fish can go. It is very interesting reading,but it is like a textbook.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
    There is a good book that explains what effect barametric pressure has on fishing. It's called "The Fishermans Ocean" How marine science can help you find and catch more fish by David A. Ross, Ph.D. The basic jist of his explanation is that barametric change does not effect the fish as much as what pressure changes cause. Less air pressure on the water can mean higher water levels, as much as 6" and can infuence current speeds or where fish can go. It is very interesting reading,but it is like a textbook.
    Great advice guys, as I knew nothing about barometric pressure before this.

Paumanok, thanks for noticing that error. I just started to read up on that. That book that Jimbob has suggested seems like a good read. I'll have to do a search for it.

Quote Originally Posted by paumanok View Post
    Low pressure generally means low light. What do stripers do in low light? What do almost any fish do? They come up from the deep to prowl the shallows.
    So by this reasoning anytime a low pressure system comes through, it's time to go fishing? I think that makes sense if you are talking about fishing in front ot storms, or right after.

For bass the best time is the beginning of a northeaster when pressue starts to drop,just before all hell breaks loose with the wind and seas

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Great points thanks for sharing.