Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: NJ Beach replenishment - Pics/Videos before and after

another pallone video. Here hes talking about the seabright and mon beach replenishment. Totally different animal than jetty row. This guys a hero hes not going to listen to fishermen.

Quote Originally Posted by jigfreak View Post
    Sorry to be so negative but pallone and memandez were pushing beach replenishment back in 2011. Do you think there will be alternatives considered at any acoe meeting? not.

Did you see how they looked at the guys protesting this? like they were little children! I think Joe Werner said it best "they provide some access they don't affect adequate access. And the rules that the Christie administration is putting across will reduce the access."
    They then went on to blame the state govt for access problems. If they are involved aren't they responsible too?

Thank God for surfrider. They have been involved in almost every beach access issue. They don't back down. From their site.

Beach Replenishment

Surfrider Foundation has worked on the issue of beach replenishment since the late 1990′s. Along with groups like SEA we have slowly but surely educated the public and decision makers about the problems associated with beach replenishment. The best article on beachfil is on Beachapedia.org, a great source of information on all things coastal. The problems with replenishment are in the ?Costs of Beachfill? section of the article. Many newspaper and other articles are linked there, but often they are in the numbered footnotes. You can click the footnote or go to that section to read the full original article. So go to http://www.beachapedia.org/Beach_Fill

There is more information there about

• More dangerous swimming conditions and injuries to bathers after replenishment

• Poor quality sand impacting the environment, wildlife and aesthetics Negative Impacts on Marine Life

Beach Access and Beach Replenishment
      The New York District of the Army Corps of Engineers is finally considering alternative designs and actually pumping some beaches differently and some beaches differently based on what we have taught them.
      http://jerseyshore.surfrider.org/cam...replenishment/

showing long branch and pier village replenishment from helicopter

ocean city maryland, Halfway through you see the usacoe guy explaining how they do no harm to the environment.

interesting tv overview of dredgers throughout the world

hesco concertainers one alternative

Quote Originally Posted by hookset View Post
    That was interesting. I wonder if the army corps have done that much research on long term affects.

5. Conclusions and management implications
    We showed no negative long-term consequences of beachnourishment on the abundance of the sampled species. However,beach nourishment can alter the community composition, asbecame clear from the elevated abundance of
    Scolelepis squamata
    after nourishment. This also shows that
    S. squamata is an opportunisticspecies and may act as a potential ecological indicator.Morphology and wave characteristics are important to allspecies, but every species has its own specific habitat demands,which should be taken into account when planning nourishments.Moreover, beach slope and sediment characteristicsshould be matched with the original beach (Janssen et al., 2011).Not only grain size distribution is important, but also sorting andskewness should be taken into account, since we found theseto be of importance for Haustorius arenarius and Bathyporeiasarsi. Whether these ?new? parameters are truly of ecologicalsignificance for the species, or merely indicators of morphology,remains unknown to this point and should be investigatedexperimentally.Monitoring pre- and post-nourishment remains of the greatestimportance to gain more insight in survival and recovery of macroinvertebratefauna after impacts. Further extension of ourfundamental knowledge on species-specific survival, recolonisationand settlement behavior, and habitat demands will ensure
    nourishment to be more ecologically based in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by seamonkey View Post
    That was interesting. I wonder if the army corps have done that much research on long term affects.

5. Conclusions and management implications
    We showed no negative long-term consequences of beachnourishment on the abundance of the sampled species. However,beach nourishment can alter the community composition,

Probably not much. Take a look at these videos

Great find buckethead. here's another. Wish someone else besides Nelson had done a study showing the before and after. that's what you need something that shows a dramatic change

Some scientific studies done a while ago
    Can any of you folks with scientific background make sense of this?

http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.230...21103799095777

Another scientific paper about groin notching

http://www.jstor.org/stable/i25736240
    (if the links above are messed up those papers can be found here)

I was walking some of my favorite beaches this morning at low tide. I think the sand replenishment started a series of bad consequences that was the worst possible decision making process. All it did was cause more sand to move North which it does naturally anyway.
    Many of these ACOE folks will retire with 6 figure pensions. This is one of the biggest wastes of taxpayer money that I can remember. For shame that 30 years from now it will be realized that this was a waste. Too late after hundreds of millions of dollars are spent throwing this money out to sea. literally.

Quote Originally Posted by buckethead View Post
    hundreds of millions of dollars are spent throwing this money out to sea. literally.
    This is a breakdown of the spending I found on the net. $65 millionfor sea bright to long branch alone. Despicable.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	390ce9b6_1-0c300e33dd.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	18698

Quote Originally Posted by buckethead View Post
    I was walking some of my favorite beaches this morning at low tide. I think the sand replenishment started a series of bad consequences that was the worst possible decision making process. All it did was cause more sand to move North which it does naturally anyway.
    Many of these ACOE folks will retire with 6 figure pensions. This is one of the biggest wastes of taxpayer money that I can remember. For shame that 30 years from now it will be realized that this was a waste. Too late after hundreds of millions of dollars are spent throwing this money out to sea. literally.
    All that $$ to completely screw up the Jersey coast so that people could basically steal tax payers money.
    Take 1/10th the money, build jails, lock them up and throw away the key.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

You can't fight Mother Nature they will spend this money and one good storm will take it right back happens all the time. They are just Pissing up a rope it happens continually at demo every time they dredge the thumb is just about gone soon to become a small reef and wipe out the beach bye bye Babylon beaches
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Mantoloking sea barriers. "One size does not fit all."

Default Beach Replenishment

The large pipe that passes under RT 36 in Monmouth Beach is setup and being used again. Are they pumping river mud all over Monmouth Beach?

I have also been seeing the US Army Corps of Engineers split hull dredge ship named "CURRITUCK" leave the twin rivers under full load and exit to the ocean.

Here is a picture from yesterday

Here is what the CURRITUCK looks like when empty (4ft difference in draft)

More info about the CURRITUCK:

Port: Wilmington, North Carolina
    This vessel works in the shallow-draft ocean bar channels along the Atlantic coast. However, in addition to removing dredged material from the channel, the CURRITUCK can transport the material to the downdrift beach and deposit it in the surf zone to nourish sand-starved beaches.

Type:
    Seagoing, shallowdraft special purpose dredge, steel construction, full diesel, with twin outboard propulsion units.

Built:
    Barbour Boat Works, New Bern, North Carolina, 1974.

Converted to Dredge:
    US Army Engineer Yard, Eagle Island, North Carolina, 1977.

Vessel Characteristics and Specifications:

Gross Tonnage 484 tons
    Displacement, Light 175 long tons
    Displacement, Loaded 615 long tons
    Length, Overall 150?-0?
    Beam, Molded 30?-7?
    Draft, Light 3?-4?
    Draft, Loaded 7?-6?
    Capacity 315 cubic yards

Propulsion Equipment:

Engines- 2 - CAT 3406E, 450 HP @ 1800 RPM
    Outboard Propelling Units- Holland Roerpropeller, (HRP)
    Model HRP 350 Deckunit

Speed, Loaded Approx:
    7 knots

Speed, Light: 8 knots

Bunker Capacity:
    3600 gal diesel fuel

Potable Water Capacity:
    400 gal

Dredging Equipment:

Primer mover- 2 ea , CAT 3304 DIT 160 HP
    Dredge Pumps- 2 ea HDM-32-12x10, 400 RPM-Dredge Master?s direct coupled
    Drags- Brunswick County Type
    Drag hoisting winches- Braded Series PD 12C

Total Compliment: 24 men split into 4 crews (24 hour dredging)

Filling the hull with sand

Opening the split hull to deposit the sand

Close up of the open split hull

Quote Originally Posted by J Barbosa View Post
    Are they pumping river mud all over Monmouth Beach?
    Yes that's why I stopped fishing there. Used to always be able to pick up a few bass at night. What bass wants to hang out in all that dirty nasty river crap? They are ruining fishing all over nj with that replenishment. Awesome pics jb thanks for sharing.

When you are on a boat and go past MB you can see the dirty water. How things have changed.

^^ This sucks...I was just talking to someone the other day and mentioned how many for sale signs are all over Deal. You rarely ever saw one in that area. Those houses are elevated 20-30ft off the water and except for a few that were right on the water they survived with little damage. You would think they would be happy to have big full private beaches soon...do they know something we don't?

I love how that dredge ship can split itself in half to drop sand quickly to the bottom. It goes against all the rules you think about when it comes to boats and floatation. Powerful tools in the wrong hands unfortunately.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast