Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Jetty Country will be a parking lot - Want to stop it? Get involved!

Quote Originally Posted by jigfreak View Post
    ^^^^^^Oh wow thats peachy. Would you just give up like that. Well if the burglar is coming in your house and he decides to smash your head with the gun and rape your wife do you say you are powerless to do anything about it because he already got in your house or do you try to fight back?
    e-mail sent.
    Cmon be real. Smith and Wesson is my answer to that. Any guy comes in my house other than the mailman or ups guy he's leaving with bullets in him.
    Sorry if I offedned you I was only agreeing with finchaser. The politicians rule and are not really going to listen to some whining isolated groups of fishermen esp when all that federal money is involved. If you gents think the fight is worth it then by al means try. my .02 only

Quote Originally Posted by bababooey View Post
    Cmon dude be real. Smith and Wesson is my answer to that. Any guy comes in my house other than the mailman or ups guy he's leaving with bullets in him.

You never know about the ups guy women in my office have the hots for the one who delivers there. you might come home one day and find he delivered more than a brown package to your wife!

I appreciate all the responses,opinions and support. GREAT job on keeping this in the limelight, people.
    I cannot change your mind if you feel it's not worth fighting for.
    I can only tell the people out there that I will not give up, and will fight to the last minute for this because it means to much to me. It is a key fishing access battle where we can make a difference, if we try, because of the reasons I mentioned in that letter.

This is a response I already posted elsewhere in response to some of the apathy.......

"It kills me to accept what has become our reality. I know every jetty from raritan bay down through ocean county. Some of them I've even taken a quick nap on those nights when I am too tired but know I might find a fish at the next stop. I have spilled my blood and bashed my body parts on others. They are a part of who I am. When I am fishing a jetty on the night tides I feel alive.

I understand the beach replenishment... and the fact that those homeowners with money have precedence over us lowly fishermen. There is no real engineering argument I have heard or could be presented that makes the case for covering those jetties.

I don't have the exact specs.....some of those areas are at least 15 feet above sea level. If you go to the Pier Village area (not the area we're fighting about but the same general area) I think part of that is about 20 feet above sea level. Many parts of long branch and deal went (relatively) untouched by Sandy. If we have another storm that great they will probably be safe again.... by virtue that this is the highest elevation along that area of the county.

It's simply unacceptable to me that while this project doesn't make sense even from an engineering standpoint, there isn't more outrage.
    Every year we lose more fishing access. This year, if I had to guess, I would say that NJ fishing access will be down by 50%.
    How are we gonna cram the amount of guys who want to fish, in 50% less space?

So yes, you're probably right.
    We may not stand a snowball's chance in hell of stopping this.....but at one time not too long ago....fishermen got mad enough to do something, instead of some of the idle chatter and apathy I have seen on some of the internet forums........

The reason we're fighting so hard is this is one of the last untouched pristine stretches of NJ beachfront for land based fishermen. Some of that life in that area has been there for decades and survived catastrophic storms.... and still remains a robust and vibrant marine environment. There used to be fish there 9 months of the year..... that has changed with the shrinking biomass."

** After the Asbury show the other day, I spent some time down among those jetties, taking pics and documenting the height difference from the sea to the street level. In some places it was about 20 feet.

I was sick to my stomach when I saw what they have done so far. If you haven't seen it you owe it to yourself to take a ride down there. It is heart-breaking to see what they are doing. I believe the pictures I will be posting will help to prove our point, that replenishment in this area is not logical or necessary.

Finchaser reached out to some of the fishing clubs. I will be reaching out to others, and have aleady contacted the NJBBA for support. I believe we can make a difference and be heard with the building momentum of support.

Countdown:
    15 days Left.......
    Please try to send those e-mails.....
    and when you have done it, sound off in this thread, to give others the incentive....
    Thanks people!

I emailed them, Thanks for the heads up.

Anyone knows if there is any endangered species living in the jetties?

vpass I don't think there are any endangered species there but that's a smart angle. There have been many a construction project held up for a singular spotted owl or something like a turtle. Have to look for help from any area we can get it.

jetty rats

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Quote Originally Posted by 4135561
    Problem with this is MOST who fish will do nothing and then ***** about the outcome here later..
    Quote Originally Posted by 4139209
    That is correct. All surf locations are crowded and a mess. There is nothing anyone can do to stop the madness all created by the internet. Hopefully the bass disappear again to weed out some of these spoiled fisherman that just started surf fishing 10 years when the bass population started to grow. Get your bluefish and kingfish rigs out boys just like the past, bass are on their way out.

I purposely look the names out of the above quotes. Not trying to criticize anyone here. However, I am grateful to the guys who posted them. I know when some see words like that... they get angry, However, I have heard those words before. Some of my closest friends have made the same statements.

Rather than getting angry, maybe we could look at ourselves as fishermen, and ask what causes some of us to be so selfish...and apathetic....that saltwater fishermen are not taken seriously by many politicians? In many instances there is no cohesiveness among us as a group.

There are millions of us, a few hundred thousand in New Jersey alone.....and yet it is so hard to find some common ground when issues like this arise....
    If we were half as organized, and relentless, as the NRA, we wouldn't have politicians and policy makers walking all over our fishing rights and access rights.

Again, this is just what I have seen trying to fight for access and fishing rights. The same small group of people gets involved, time after time. It was the same for Drag Island....we had to constantly plead for folks to sign that petition.....when there are thousands of us who will benefit from the results.....

I've never begged anyone in my life...that's not who I am...but I am trying to get into your heads, some of ya's who think it's not worth it "to fight city hall"....
    I'm trying to get you to ask yourselves....

** How much freedom are you willing to give away...before you finallly decide to try fighting for it?

I appreciate all the responses,opinions and support. GREAT job on keeping this in the limelight, people.
    I cannot change your mind if you feel it's not worth fighting for.
    It is a key fishing access battle where we can make a difference, if we try, because of the reasons I mentioned in that letter.

Countdown:
    14 days Left.......
    and when you have done it, sound off in this thread, to give others the incentive....
    Thanks people!

^^^^^^dark its always the same small group who get involved. Don't sweat it. I read they will take the public comments seriously this time. Who knows at least we have to give it a shot. Not trying would be like being at the superbowl and forfeiting before you ever played. No point in that.

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    jetty rats
    No way they are endangered. Those suckers are everywhere. At the inlets its even worse.

done thanks!

Update.....
    I have been reaching out to the fishing clubs, the NJBBA, and sending mass e-mails to everyone I know....
    We're starting to see some results from that........building some momentum...

Reached out to Tim Dillingham from the American Littoral Society (ALS). Many of you are familiar with the ALS tagging program they run.

Here's a partial response...I'll keep updating as more progress happens:

"Hi Rich - American Littoral Society (Tim Dillingham). Tim agrees with your assessment and your thoughts are in line with previous ALS comments on this ....you can follow-up with Tim directly if you have more questions on this specific issue."

Countdown:
    13 days Left.......
    Thanks people!

thanks for the updates

This is the outline of the project scope and tentative replenishment. Some has already been done:

Cumulative Impact Placement Projects
    (With Elberon to Loch Arbour)
    Location of Placement Approximate Duration @ Vol Fill (Acre)*
    1 Sea Bright to Monmouth July 2013 - January 2014 2.2 mcy 138
    2 Belmar to Manasquan Oct 2013 - March 2014 1.5 mcy 90
    3 Long Branch November 2013 - June 2014 3.3 mcy 335
    4 Asbury to Avon December 2013 – May 2014 1.2 mcy 55
    5 Eberon Loch Arbour October 2014 – October 2015 4.5 mcy 222
    2013 2014 2015

note that the 4,5 million cubic yards is the biggest amount for any of the replenishment listed.

www.app.com 3-11-14

Jetties from Elberon to Loch Arbour are in jeopardy

The stretch of beach from Elberon to Loch Arbour in Monmouth County is a special place to fishermen. While it attracts its fair share of surfers, swimmers and sunbathers, it?s the anglers who prize it most for the excellent bass fishing from the series of jetties, or groins, located there.

Now they are in danger.

For the last several months, the Army Corp of Engineers has been pumping sand onto beaches from Sandy Hook south to Manasquan as part of the Disaster Appropriations Act of 2013 which is funding the replenishment of New Jersey's beaches.

Work has yet to begin on the stretch between Elberon and Loch Arbour as the contract has yet to be awarded. That section offers a different set of problems for engineers due to the number of outflows located along the section and the Army Corp of Engineers is still accepting public comment on the project until March 26.

Capt. Colin Archer, a fly fishing guide and charter boat captain, spoke to me about the situation at last Sunday's Asbury Park Fishing Club Flea Market. He informed me that this part of the project will involve notching the jetties which means beach replenishment will create areas where the ocean will flow between the beach and the west end of the jetty, reducing structure that would normally hold fish and their prey.

"This is the heart of jetty country," said Archer. "Anglers have fished here before I was born and its a place of lore and is special in peoples' hearts. This is a place where you could be away from the crowd and there's a good chance its going to be destroyed."

Capt. Archer knows he can't stop the project but he also knows there are valid reasons why it shouldn"t be done. In many places, he said, sand pumped onto the beaches is already back in the water. Regardless of the outcome, Archer is determined to be heard, and he hopes others join him.

"If you don't speak out about it, no one knows about it. It's all you can do," he said.

As anyone who has spent time on the beaches in Monmouth and Ocean counties can tell you, beach replenishment is a temporary fix at best. Mother Nature usually gets her way.

The Draft Environmental Assessment (DEA) and Draft Statement of Conformity (DSOC) are available at www.nan.usace.army.mil. Public comments can be submitted by email to Howard.Ruben@usace.army.mil.

John Oswald: joswald@app.com

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post

Reached out to Tim Dillingham from the American Littoral Society (ALS). Many of you are familiar with the ALS tagging program they run.

Here's a partial response...I'll keep updating as more progress happens:

"Hi Rich - American Littoral Society (Tim Dillingham). Tim agrees with your assessment and your thoughts are in line with previous ALS comments on this ....you can follow-up with Tim directly if you have more questions on this specific issue."

Good job on contacting the ALS dark, we need to hit this from every angle.
    We should also be contacting Frank Pallone and Tom Fote of JCAA. They have not done much at all for us or striped bass. We should be giving them a full court press asking them why. Tell Pallone you will vote against him if this project goes through. Try not to be nasty, but state your strong disapproval and why. He needs to see this is important to us.

those contacts and e-mails.
    https://pallone.house.gov/contact-me
    tfote@jcaa.org

full details
    http://pallone.house.gov/
    https://pallone.house.gov/contact-me
    Pallone tips - you can only e-mail him by filling out the form. He cleverly refuses to answer e-mail if you are not a constituent. I have found a way around that. Use the following address and zip code if you do not live in the district:
    100 OCEAN AVE N
    LONG BRANCH NJ 07740-7128

http://www.jcaa.org/
    tfote@jcaa.org
    JCAA
    1201 Rt 37 E Suite 9
    Toms River, NJ 08753
    732-506-6565

Good deal bucket and ds! Nice job figuring out a proxy address bucket. additional e-mails sent.

Pallone screens mail and will not speak to anyone outside his district? What an arrogant prick. I would campaign against the man on that principle alone. Really lame. Don't even get me started on Tom Fote he is one of the pricks who said the striped bass are not in danger. Been saying that for the last 5years and look at the numbers now. F*****G tool.

Thanks guys! I just took the original letter you posted and sent it to the 2 new e-mails. buckethead that is a cool trick with the address lol!

Done and done thank you fellas. Hope there is enough buzz for them to listen it really would be ashame if they covered them up for no reason.

To all those who are mad enough to try and do something about this. Thanks for the research and ingenuity, buckethead, and all others.

Remember if you want to compose your own letter, that would be even better. If you want to C&P the one I drafted, feel free. I'm adding those e-mail addresses to the original post so folks have it easy to find and send. It's encouraging that we now have some momentum and the attention of the press. As was mentioned, we now need to focus on Fote, Pallone, etc. Let's try to keep this momentum going, thanks.

Countdown:
    12 days Left.......
    Thanks people!

Quote Originally Posted by buckethead View Post
    www.app.com 3-11-14

Jetties from Elberon to Loch Arbour are in jeopardy

The stretch of beach from Elberon to Loch Arbour in Monmouth County is a special place to fishermen. While it attracts its fair share of surfers, swimmers and sunbathers, it?s the anglers who prize it most for the excellent bass fishing from the series of jetties, or groins, located there.

Now they are in danger.

For the last several months, the Army Corp of Engineers has been pumping sand onto beaches from Sandy Hook south to Manasquan as part of the Disaster Appropriations Act of 2013 which is funding the replenishment of New Jersey's beaches.

Work has yet to begin on the stretch between Elberon and Loch Arbour as the contract has yet to be awarded. That section offers a different set of problems for engineers due to the number of outflows located along the section and the Army Corp of Engineers is still accepting public comment on the project until March 26.

Capt. Colin Archer, a fly fishing guide and charter boat captain, spoke to me about the situation at last Sunday's Asbury Park Fishing Club Flea Market. He informed me that this part of the project will involve notching the jetties which means beach replenishment will create areas where the ocean will flow between the beach and the west end of the jetty, reducing structure that would normally hold fish and their prey.

"This is the heart of jetty country," said Archer. "Anglers have fished here before I was born and its a place of lore and is special in peoples' hearts. This is a place where you could be away from the crowd and there's a good chance its going to be destroyed."

Capt. Archer knows he can't stop the project but he also knows there are valid reasons why it shouldn"t be done. In many places, he said, sand pumped onto the beaches is already back in the water. Regardless of the outcome, Archer is determined to be heard, and he hopes others join him.

"If you don't speak out about it, no one knows about it. It's all you can do," he said.

As anyone who has spent time on the beaches in Monmouth and Ocean counties can tell you, beach replenishment is a temporary fix at best. Mother Nature usually gets her way.

The Draft Environmental Assessment (DEA) and Draft Statement of Conformity (DSOC) are available at www.nan.usace.army.mil. Public comments can be submitted by email to Howard.Ruben@usace.army.mil.

John Oswald: joswald@app.com
    I know Colin.........he's down on those jetties almost daily. He has a good understanding of what makes sense in that area. Good to see we're finally getting some press relating to the fishermen's perspective.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast