Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kayak Trips and Fishing Reports 2014

Hybrid View

Default Kayak Trips and Fishing Reports 2014

It's that time of year again, people.....although the weather and water is too cold for bass in most of our waters yet, if you think creatively and use your yak you can find more than the average fisherman because of the greater access you have.....
    Anyone who wants to post a kayak report or any intel that can benefit the yakkers..feel free to post up....

^^^^^ could always fish the wwds

That's part of what I was getting at Crosseyed bass.
    A kayak gives you access away from all the other folks. With the shrinking of fishing access we face in NJ and LI, I see kayak sales as being ever higher in the next 5 years.

Cheech was out on the 18th..... his first trip of the year. A little early but he enjoyed the exercise. Report and pics courtesy of cheech.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0318141331.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	14.1 KB 
ID:	18089Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0318141132.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	14.1 KB 
ID:	18090
    "Beautiful out there! Not a tug, but got some great exercise."

Cheech was out again in the Hudson today. Pics and report courtesy of Cheech.

Name:	3-27-14 cheech1.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	18092

"Fished around the point, the trestle, Crawbuckie and back to ossining without a tap.Caught on this day last year, though we're probably a week or two behind with the winter we've had."

Name:	3-27-14 cheech2.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	18093

Report and video courtesy of Eli....

"Quick video I took during my last trip. All fish caught on shad bodies with lead heads either vertically jigged or trolled off the bottom in about 15 feet of water. Simple fishing and very effective."

Took my kayak out for a 6 hour trip this morning targeting big bluefish, wind was blowing pretty strong which can blow a light kayak around.

My brother and I had bluefish throughout the day ranging anywhere from 1-10lbs. Most blues averaging only 4-6lbs today. Managed about 4-5 of the bigger 8-10lb size on one of my homemade bucktails before a bluefish stole it.

We had to work hard for every fish as they were not stacked up in any one area. Five hours of trolling in strong wind and 2ft of chop in the bay...sometimes you get what you put into it. Soar legs and soar arms and as always a good time

Pictures from Fridays kayak trip.

Rui with a double header.
    Attachment 18357
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by J Barbosa View Post
    We had to work hard for every fish as they were not stacked up in any one area. Five hours of trolling in strong wind and 2ft of chop in the bay...sometimes you get what you put into it. Soar legs and soar arms and as always a good time
    Awesome report on the bluefish jb. Were you trolling anything else besides bucktails? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cowherder View Post
    Awesome report on the bluefish jb. Were you trolling anything else besides bucktails? thanks
    For bluefish I usually troll bombers as I get them used for $2-3 now that everybody wants sp minnows. I usually troll until we find a good concentration of fish and then I'll stop to cast top water plugs to them. Unfortunately yesterday's conditions were not conducive to top water so I used a bucktail.

That's what me and my brother trolled yesterday...bombers. I cast the bucktails when we managed to stay on one of the small schools but like I said the wind quickly pushes you off them when in a kayak.

I also troll the sp minnow when the action is slow. I find the rattles do a good job of attracting fish.

Way to go JB

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

nice I may have to come out with you guys one day after I get my motor

Default Kayak Trips and Fishing Reports 2014

I know there is a pretty strong interest in this tourney.

I usually fish outside the tourney as they're not my thing.....

I do have a few friends who fish it every year.........
    I always try to keep up with how they're doing, and am rooting for one of them to place in the top this year.....
    (I believe Eli won it in 2012)

Eli's doing OK so far..... despite tough catching conditions.....
    Reports and pics courtesy of Eli....

Attachment 18327

Attachment 18328

Attachment 18329

"Yesterday was very tough with the bass with me landing just one in the back of the bay. Seems like the rain didn't help the bite one bit. It was a grind for most anglers maybe edging out two fish at most.

Today was much better with more bass although the size wasn't that big the action was good at sunrise with a mix of gigantic bluefish. I also caught a 22.5" fluke to qualify for Hobie Worlds in Amsterdam. I am going to try and go this year!!"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 144.jpg   145.jpg  

146.jpg  

I hope Elias wins it. I read his reports every week. Have never met him but he seems like a real nice guy. Good luck to everyone.

Fished with Rui and my brother yesterday off the kayaks looking for big bluefish.

We covered a lot of water and kept picking away at the bluefish throughout the day but never really found any concentration of them until we were on our way back home.

Trolling on our way back about 100 yards from where we launched all three of us hook up

One of the bluefish we kept had a fluke in his belly. The blue was about 6#s.

Attachment 18469
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20140601_151345-1.jpg  

Nice going dude. Seems like every time you are out there on a kayak you catch at least one thing. way to go

Shark nice fish!

I fished off the kayak yesterday targeting bluefish.

We got a bunch of them all in 3-6ft of water.

Seen more bait yesterday than I have seen all season. Adult bunker, shrimp and small rain fish/spearing type bait. The bunker were in deeper water and unmolested.

Small plugs like a Surfstix egglet swimmer were key to catching these bluefish. I did catch a few on a 2oz pencil but I had way more blowup and miss on it (single rear swish only).

My buddy Rui got a nice weakfish he released.

We probably fished closer to shore than Darkskies did.

One of my bluefish from yesterday...not really sure if this is from disease or a shark/dolphin bite. Marks were on both sides but much worse on this side.

Wow great catches on the kayaks rob and john! john that is one scarey looking bluefish!

Hey you can't bat 1000 every day shark. rob that is an awesome video like how you show the teeth of the blue before you put it back. Fished island beach all morning. One blue on metal at 6am otherwise no takers. Jbarbosa that is one nasty looking bluefish what do you suppose did that to it?

John B- is that a trolling motor in your buddies hobie?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast