Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kayak Trips and Fishing Reports 2014

Great report jbarbosa and steve.
    JB do you feel the kayak lets you get to places where larger fluke are sitting? All I have been getting lately are shorts. I fished moco twice in the last week and got shorts each time. I was using 2 pieces of gulp swimming mullet white and chartreuse. I did catch but the south wind was terrible. I don't know how you guys deal with it?

Lostatsea,

I have a love/hate relationship with the kayak. It definitely has it's advantages but at the same time it's not any easier to pick through all the short fluke and seaweed on the kayak. I think it's just a numbers game...catch 20-25 shorts for every keeper. I hate carrying the dam heavy thing around and once you unstrap it from the roof your kind of limited to fishing within 6-8 miles of the launch point.

When I first bought the kayak I had a hard time even finding the fluke in numbers. There is a lot of water to cover and not all of it holds fluke.

Once the water warms up some more and we get more bait into the surf I'll leave the kayak at home.

Peanuts...yesterday they were all mostly in the 3-5" range. This size is very hard to keep alive but can be done with some work. I threw the cast net two weeks ago and all I could find was lots of 1" peanuts so a new school must have moved in.

Fished on the kayak yesterday targeting fluke. Caught a few shorts but not that many.

Did find the croakers however most were pretty small. Kept 3 that were around 12-16" and went back to fluke fishing. The croakers are too bony to bother with the small ones IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    Same as Kayak unless your on terra firm it's a boat fish
    I think we can both agree that both kayak and boat fluke taste delicious even if they don't count.

Quote Originally Posted by J Barbosa View Post
    I think we can both agree that both kayak and boat fluke taste delicious even if they don't count.

I'm with you pal

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Lots of bunker in the bay yesterday. Small pods all over the place...too me that means having a hard time getting your offering to stand out so good job.

Eli has been yakking JBay almost every day. He got his personal best fluke yesterday, 11.1 lbs.
    Pics and report courtesy of Eli. Outstanding job.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8-1-14 jb 11,1lbs.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	18708 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8-1-14 jb2 11,1lbs.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	27.6 KB 
ID:	18709

[Some days it's your lucky day. Today was mine. Did my usual fishing tricks and hit one that had some serious bend to the pole! What a fish indeed. Rounded out the catch for another 4 or 5 keepers up to 23" and some stripes to 28".]

Wow that is a real doormat. Nice catch Eli!

Quote Originally Posted by cowherder View Post
    Wow that is a real doormat. Nice catch Eli!
    A true doormat...congrats Eli.

Kayaked the RB yesterday with my brother and Rui. We launched around 5:30am. There was a steady rain and it was blowing 15-25mph out of the North East. Seas were 3-4+ ft in the bay...anyone who has fished the RB knows it gets down right nasty with a North/East wind.

We fished 20-35ft of water and had non stop fluke action. I must have caught over 100 fish but only managed two keepers, one 18.5 and one 19. My brother caught one keeper at 25" and Rui caught a keeper as well.

Only saw a few boats out there yesterday...about 3 party boats sailed and less than a handful of private boats. Again, where is everyone?

Also to the boat out of the RB that posts reports on a few different sites...where is your report from yesterday? I saw you out there I guess you didn't put enough meat on the deck to put up winning numbers for this tournament? A real fisherman posts all the reports or none not just the good but I guess that would be bad for future business.

Quote Originally Posted by J Barbosa View Post
    There was a steady rain and it was blowing 15-25mph out of the North East. Seas were 3-4+ ft in the bay...anyone who has fished the RB knows it gets down right nasty with a North/East wind.
    Thats interesting because in cape may a northeast wind is sometimes good for the back side. Turns the fish on big time. You were out in 3-4ft waves? You are a madman kudos to you dude! What did you catch that bluefish on were you using gulp?

Dude you could wipe 2 pairs of feet on that doormat. Awesome catch congrats!

...So finally got out on the kayak yesterday afternoon and found some decent action once the tide switched...Landed 18 total with 1 nice 20in keeper lost another decent fish at the yak about the same size*..Had 3 or 4 others that were last season keepers all in all a good day on the water...Lots of bunker swimming around with a couple good sprays in them..Most action was in 18-20ft of water FF read the water temp @ 76 deg....

Nice going Blaze, I wouldn't mind seeing the 17.5" size limits again either!

Blaze were you out front or in the bay?

Quote Originally Posted by robmedina View Post
    Blaze were you out front or in the bay?
    I was in the Sandy hook bay...And i agree John i wanna go back to the 17.5 regs threw a bunch back this year even from the beach that would have been in the cooler last year..

I fished yesterday afternoon after work for two hours on a friends boat. Like Blaze reported there is big adult bunker all over the bay. Also saw lots of those luminous (at night) jellyfish all over the place.

Managed one keeper fluke, some shorts and another one that would have been a keeper last year.

Seems like more croakers may have moved in as my gulp was really getting attacked and I managed three bigger ones.

Croakers and keeper fluke came out of 30-40ft of water.

Got this awesome double sided fluke. I can't remember the proper name for them?

Nice going B420 and JB. Like the coloring on that fluke. Fished moco early morning before sunrise. One stargazer on bucktail and gulp.

Good going fellas. have to be in it to win it. jb you are prob one of the best advertisements out there for buying a kayak.

Eli did it again. Pics and report courtesy of Eli.

"Although the bite seemed very slow for bay fluking I had favorable conditions for a shot at them early in the morning on Sunday.I had been fishing other areas for striped bass and the ocean side a bit with good results. But I wanted to get a feel for the bay myself. I made quick work with my Spro and Gulp combo and after a very solid, a pole that was pretzeled over I gently slipped this giant into the net.

Name:	8-10-14 Eli  12 lb fluke1.jpg 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	18734

Name:	8-10-14 Eli  12 lb fluke2.jpg 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	18735

All I needed for a morning of fishing. Fish was 31" long and weighed into Bernie's B&T at 12.0 lbs. A phenomenal August!"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast