Thread: Arctic Plunge to Save Striped Bass

Default Arctic Plunge to Save Striped Bass

From NJ, but Fishing up in the Providence River RI because of College I've been catching holdover stripers all winter. Caught 3 schoolies on Lunker City FinSfish and then way upriver noticed a snagged striped bass that was wrapped around a buoy and was stuck yesterday. I went back today determined to save that striped bass that so many of us love today and was successful nothing but a bathing suit and a shirt jumped into 32 degree water (at the expense of loosing my balls for a couple hours, haha) but well worth it.

click the link below to view my YouTube channel (Fish Aholic) and subscribe for more great videos.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaB...fyzugrFd69jvIA
    Enjoy the Video shortclip

Thanks Guys

Welcome aboard, heck of a release, will check out your other videos.
    Not many others would go into that water like that, nice job!!
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Nice going, very impressive, thanks for your concern about the Striper . Welcome to the site.

Welcome and great job
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    Not many others would go into that water like that, nice job!!
    I didn't realize how certifiably nuts you were until I saw this video.
    I mean that in a good way....
    It's very rare that someone comes along with that kind of passion for fishing, and striped bass.
    I was just talking about fishermen apathy and selfishness the other day.

I could see the tide was still moving, but you had sense enough to plan that mission around slack tide. Good thinking.

Outstanding job. Thanks for sharing that with the folks here....

Wow you are CRAZY to be jumping in water that cold your balls could of fallen off! Nice work on saveing that striper!

That's What I was afraid of haha, Im up here at college so I did not have my boots or yak or anything.

Ready to do anything to save a striped bass. That was sick kudos to you guy!

Great "catch" KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.

I'm sorry but if no one else has said it I will. You jumped into 32 degree water with only a bathing suit to save a rat striped bass? What about the fact you put your life in jeopardy. Did you have a rescue plan if anything happened. You could have drowned in that cold water. A little sketchy to save one striper don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by bababooey View Post
    What about the fact you put your life in jeopardy. Did you have a rescue plan if anything happened. You could have drowned in that cold water.
    Give him a break. watch the whole video? Notice the rope on the side? Maybe not the best plan but at least he was thinking. How about giving him a break for going out of his way to do something good. nice job kid

Well I was in water up to my waste. I have swam in water that cold before over a dozen times. Also knowing how to slow my heart rate is a big factor. As well as tested the bottom before I jumped in to know I would not get stuck and planning it on slack dead tide. Also with little to no current I know I would survive. If it was 20 degrees out, snowing, and fast current I probably would not have jumped in. I planned and prepared before I did it. Just Like Bear Grill's trained and prepares before he jumps into a frozen water on a lake.

Good job fishing 247. Ignore the trolls.

Fantastic video dude thanks for sharing. You catch bass all winter?

Wow, I'm impressed. I know I would have never junmped in. My balls are very important to me. . Hopefully that bass gets to grow old because of you. Thanks for sharing, and stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishing247 View Post
    That's What I was afraid of haha, Im up here at college so I did not have my boots or yak or anything.

Pretty cool that you can catch stripers all year up there. No closed season? I watched that video again and it looked cold!!!!!!!