Thread: Gar fishing in catskills ny

Default Gar fishing in catskills ny

hi, writing to ask if any one knows any lakes or ponds in the catskills ny that has gar. I know it msound like a strnge question butthey are one hell of a fish to fight. I heard you cancatch gar way upstate, i dont want to travel too far. There must be a body of water in the catskills that has gar. If any one nows of any lakes or ponds in the catskills withgar please let me know, you can email me at lefty5895@sn.com or post here in the forum. Thank you very much, really hope to hear rom some onesoon. Jeff costigan.

Haven't fished for gar up there. I did take a trip to Lake Chataqua with my girlfriend in 2011. The trip is in the Freshwater forum here. Where do you fish out of?
    Some of our members who fish freshwater more than I do may have some answers for ya. Welcome aboard Jeff.
    Look forward to your contributions.

Hey welcome doubleninepatch. Cool name whats it mean? I caught some gar down in fla they get real big down south. Cant help you up north tho. When I was a kid I got one in lake hopatcong but it was small like 6". Good luck

You should try Lake Champlain in the South Bay area. My uncle used to get them there all the time. Welcome aboard do you fish the salt too?

Weclome Jeff! There are lots of gar in the south jersey back bays. Dont know how far you are willing to travel to catch.

welcome aboard

Quote Originally Posted by darkskies View Post
    haven't fished for gar up there. I did take a trip to lake chataqua with my girlfriend in 2011. The trip is in the freshwater forum here. Where do you fish out of?
    Some of our members who fish freshwater more than i do may have some answers for ya. Welcome aboard jeff. :happywave:
    hey guys, thanx a million for all the replys. I really thought there would be a few ponds or lakes with gar in the catskills. I know lake champlain has some, as a few other lakes in that area. But i really dont plan on going up that far just for gar. Guess i have to contact the dec with this question, again. There has to be a few bodies of water in the catskills with gar. Have to ask a few other forums about this. Well, thanx a million guys, jeff c.

The biggest I have seen are those youtube videos with the chesty blonde girl catching the gars with the soda bottles. Those might be different gar than the ones you are looking for. Hey Jeff, would love to see some pics if you do get some big gar. Good luck let us know how you do!

Quote Originally Posted by DOUBLENINEPATCH View Post
    hey guys, thanx a million for all the replys. I really thought there would be a few ponds or lakes with gar in the catskills. I know lake champlain has some, as a few other lakes in that area. But i really dont plan on going up that far just for gar. Guess i have to contact the dec with this question, again. There has to be a few bodies of water in the catskills with gar. jeff c.
    I was glad to read this as I wanted to learn how to catch some gar. I have never seen any as big as the ones you guys are talking about. double nine patch if you do catch some please report it. I would love to see a pic of one. Thanks and good luck!

Default Gar in the catskills

Quote Originally Posted by darkskies View Post
    haven't fished for gar up there. I did take a trip to lake chataqua with my girlfriend in 2011. The trip is in the freshwater forum here. Where do you fish out of?
    Some of our members who fish freshwater more than i do may have some answers for ya. Welcome aboard jeff. :happywave:
    Look forward to your contributions.
    hi, thanks for your reply. So ya used to fish for gar up at chataqua?? Heard there & lake champlain has gar, but for now, thats a little too far away. Still lookin around & asking different people this question. I caught them in florida, ton of fun!! Love the fight, like freshwater bluefish. There has to be a few bodies of water in the catskills that have gar. Guess i should email the nysdec & ask them, they should know. Also gonna ask on other forums after signing up. Well, thanx a million for responding, sorry it took so long to write back. Have a great day, will post soon, jeff.

hi, writing to say thanx for answering my post about gar in the catskills. Sorry it took so long to reply. I heard champlain has gar & chataqua also. Little too far right now, not heading up that way soon. I know there has to be a few bodies of water in the catskills with gar, lakes or ponds, just a matter of finding them. I saw in the fisherman magazine, ny edition, how people were catching gar in the catskills. I should email nysdec & ask them. Gonna go on other forums & ask around, something will turn up. Well, thanx for your reply, yes i do go saltwater fishing also, stripers, blues, bonita fluke blacks. Well thanx once again, have a great day, jeff.

Where do you fish saltwater, Jeff. Do you ever fish the flats at Cape Cod?