Thread: First Keeper striper of 2014?

Default First Keeper striper of 2014?

So other than the power plant fish when do you think the first NJ keeper striper will be caught this year after mar 1? Do you think the cold and deep freeze will put off the catching for a bit? thanks

March 19. The power plant stripers are cheating anyway. You know they have to be fishing before 3/1 to know the fish are there. No one will ever convince me they fish for a half hour at midnight and catch a 20 pounder lol. I think the rivers will be very cold with the ice and snow. Especially the Hudson. This is just guessing anyway but it could be fun. Wondering what some of the sr members like finchaser and monty think.

It's over and the power plant was shut down so fish left as cold set in. I know guy's that fish there illegally because the back is closed now and there are no fish. I was with a friend of mine yesterday who works there and he said he only knows of 1 fish which was 20". they are changing cooling towers and it will be shut down within 5 years for ever

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    they are changing cooling towers and it will be shut down within 5 years for ever
    Well that means that the hotshots will have to actually work for the fish and when it does close the winning contest fish will be closer to 29" rather than those big slobs they have been weighing in each march. my guess- the first keeper is officially weighed in march 12

I think we're going to have a late starting season because of all the snow forecast and the ice flowing down the rivers. It's too early to tell but I would say it might take a week before someone finds water warm enough to pull a keeper from. The water temps will prob be in the low 40's if that. Bass are very sluggish at those temps. They may be there but are hard to catch even if you toss snot or tapeworms.

Agree with bucket, and I'll guess march 13.

heard of some at the wwd/power plant but I'm not starting till Mar 15 too dam cold!

Quote Originally Posted by seamonkey View Post
    heard of some at the wwd/power plant but I'm not starting till Mar 15 too dam cold!
    Still no warmer weather in site.....its got to be brutal out there.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

That's ok all you lily livered sissies can rest easy now. I got the first keeper of 2014, See my report in the fishing reports.

Quote Originally Posted by storminsteve View Post
    That's ok all you lily livered sissies can rest easy now. I got the first keeper of 2014, See my report in the fishing reports.

Congratulations on the first fictional Striper of 2014 SS

And an honorable mention to Bababooey for the first strippers of 2014
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

First real keeper from raritan bay - monday or tuesday at the latest. power plant fish dont count
    I was out and about yesterday. Temp in the back of the bay was 40. Its cold, the stripers dont care its all about those temps. fri, sat, sun air temps will be 45-60. By monday or tues we should be into some nice fish.