Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: NJ Fishing Reports for April 2014...www.StripersAndAnglers.com

Bucket and Rob, I agree with what you said as well.
    We have further discussions on that here:

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...re-they-saying

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...e-Striped-Bass

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...are-in-TROUBLE

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...t-striped-bass

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...rvation-Corner

ASMFC stats
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ross-the-board

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...n-70-from-2006

No disrepect to Russ Allen. I wish I could have been there to meet him and see his presentation. I would have had some questions that he would have struggled to answer.
    Again, no disrespect meant, and he certainly has impressive credentials.

Without getting into a full-page answer, what the scientists are claiming, has consistently been around 3 years behind what most fishermen are seeing and reporting.

The ASMFC claim that striped bass are not overfished, is technically accurate, but somewhat misleading for the following reasons:
    1. Striped bass biomass, the SSB part of it (Spawing striped bass is a smaller component of the entire biomass), is within 1 million lbs of the point where they are mandated to declare overfishing.
    2. This is accurate and provable by reviewing ASMFC stats.
    3. They have been counting on the strength of the 2010 and 2011 YOY class to carry the whole fishery. It's becoming more apparent each year, that this is not possible. Hence the claim of mortality reduction as being the new agenda.

4. One of the reasons given for the future reduction in size limits is to "reduce mortality". I don't know how to say this any less diplomatically, other than that is misleading as hell.
    5. Would the ASMFC be cutting the bag limit in half, just to reduce mortality?
    (If you fish a lot and see the reality out there, you would know this is said for political reasons)

6. The ASMFC has been aware of a decline for the last 5 years, and has discussed it each time, putting it off. Much of this "putting off till tomorrow" in the decision making process has come from political pressure, charter and party boat factions pressuring politicians behind the scenes that they will suffer if such a drastic reduction is taken.
    And make no mistake about it, a reduction to one fish is a drastic reduction...they could have changed size limits, etc...and other options if they were solely concerned about mortality.......

** To understand this better, you have to read between the lines, and have enough sophistication to understand that sometimes these decisions are more driven by politics, than science......
    Most folks would not realize the pressuring and lobbying that goes on behind the scenes, even before these meetings take place....
    Even a state like PA, (as Finchaser has pointed out many times)...has a big say in the outcome of these meetings. People assuming it's all about the coastal states, are inaccurate in their assumptions.

**In sum, it's the fishermen who fish regularly, who notice the changes in the population, long before the scientists do. Anyone who would dispute that really doesn't fish that much, or doesn't have a clear understanding of the political process that sometimes drives these meetings.

As always, differences of opinion are welcome here, but please back up your statements with some data or your own personal logs if you are going to say the striped bass are not overfished. Thanks.

Rich I agree with you 100%. I don't have the words to say it like you do but the striper population is in trouble. Every year me and the guys catch between 2-500 stripers before they move out for the summer. I know you can back me up on this, some might think I'm bragging. Most of these fish are the holdover fish that winter in the arthur kill. We did not see those fish this year or last year. If you ask me where they went, I think they are all dead. They have been there every year in the sprng without fail. Last 2 years only dribs and drabs.
    2 nights ago I fished and got all dinks, last night we got fish to 15pounds. There is no rhyme or reason because there are less fish. Plain and simple. Fishing report, got em last night under the bunker schools to 15 lbs. Back bay. Fresh bunker strips were the ticket.

Fished RB outgoing managed 2 bass with bunker chunks ...one 13 lbs didn't have time to measure it ...wasted to much time walking it to the beach ...just weight it and released it ...had to spend so time to revive it ...swam off ....took surf stick out with me and it work as design ....second fish I unhooked in the water and took a pic then released ...no stress to the bass Click image for larger version. 

Name:	price less.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	18205

and no stress for me ....I grab the line and then place the rod in the surf stick ...this now give me both hands to work with .....easy unhook ...camera is right there ...fish was out of the water less than 3 min

I haven't water proof my scale yet ..so It stayed on the beach ....but it has a spot on the surf stick

The nw wind was a little nasty and cold tonight so I went to the back in moco. Picked up 4 bass to 31" on bucktail and pork. Released

Nice going hookset and madcaster. I hope to be able to fish bucktails with confidence by the end of the year. From what I read here they are good for when the water is colder. I guess its all about technique, though, have to keep trying till I get it right. I fished raritan bay last night from 7-10. Got some bunker from keyport and fished clams and bunker. I got 3 stripers to 23 inches on clams. They were a lot of fun. Next time maybe a keeper for me. Good luck out there guys.

way to go on the catching fellas. dark I agree 100% too. What happend to all the 40 and 50 lb bass? Dead

Nice catching guys!!! I had a real solid night of catchin myself!!! Fished 4-1130pm.... I was kept busy with the shorts on the incoming and my bud was high hook with 4 nice keepers he had 2 durning the incoming 29.5 and a 28in but the 2 biggest went 34in and 35in on clams once the tide switched... the fish got bigger on the outgoing...I finally managed a real nice fish that went 35.5in on a freshly snagged bunker chunk dropped another that was easy 30in+..had 2 other misses that hit like a mack truck!! Total for the night was 13!! Had 8 that were micros 15-18in..4 that were 24-27 and the keeper!! Great fishing with great company what more could you ask for
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2014-04-28 01.16.55.jpg  

Awesome catching guys congrats! madcaster looks like you were pretty far out with your surfstick invention must have been cool not to walk back to shore to unhook the fish.

Thanks, it seems the fish are a little thicker now. Bunker all over.

Nice catching everyone

Madcaster, I love where you store your bunker chunks

Quote Originally Posted by J Barbosa View Post
    Nice catching everyone

Madcaster, I love where you store your bunker chunks

x2 nice going guys. Madcaster are you in a competition with dark? Bunker in the wader pocket? I heard he has the smelliest waders around but with that bunker in there you might take the lead. That must really smell after a night of fishing? Or do you have another pair of breathables. Nice fish mad and blaze btw!

I put them in a plastic bag normally..but these new wades where leaking like crazy ...so I just threw them in the pouch ...I returned them the next day ....yes they did smell like fish....

Quote Originally Posted by madcaster View Post
    ...so I just threw them in the pouch ...I returned them the next day ....yes they did smell like fish....
    You returned waders after you had bunker in them all night and they were stinking like fish? Man you have got some balls! I like it! When you returned them did this happen?

haha that is so funny lol lol! madcaster did you really fill waders with bloody bunker and bring them back? Nice reports guys thanks

^^^^^^^^^^^^^dude that chik is hot I don't care if she pukes blood I wud eat the peanuts out of her ****. fished da bay last nite an got 5 bass to 33" kept one. chunked bunkaaaaaaaaa

there was no bunker in the waders when I returned them .......hell the foot was till wet after I pour all the water out ...they where just going to throw them out ...it was sport authorities ...they stop carrying fishing gear ...I got two pairs for 40 each ...75% off normal price was $159

Quote Originally Posted by storminsteve View Post
    x2 nice going guys. Madcaster are you in a competition with dark? Bunker in the wader pocket? I heard he has the smelliest waders around but with that bunker in there you might take the lead.
    Et tu, Brutus? This is what I get for letting finchaser spread the rumors.....

Come on dark your smelly wader exploits are legendary. The stories go back for years so they must be true. Embrace the smelly wader legend!!!!!
    Fished last night. Got one keeper bass 34" in the bay. 3 other ones close to keeper size. All in the 2 hours of outgoing tide. The 34" was the first of the year for me so I released it for good karma. Got them on bunker that were swimming around and I snagged and cut up.

madcaster great report and stinky waders cred. blazin nice catching. dark what can I say if the legend (or smelly waders) fit, wear it.fished the back in moco last night. managed two bass to 13lbs released. Buck and pork. Fish hit hard.

Nice catching guys. cowherder that was one nasty video some of you guys need help. Long time ago we use to carry fresh bait in bags in contractors aprons when wading. Good for eels too but you have to keep them in the bags they're squirmy little devils. Not so good when sharks are around though.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast