Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 LI Fishing Reports

This was a report I read for both the SS and back bay. Where are the stripers?

"Got out last evening and hit the backside. Dead, no bait, not a touch- threw the bag. The other evening same thing out front and inlet side. Since the Blues came through it's been dead. Really not many bass in the reports"

Ocean side this morning, 1:30-9:00.
    Couple bumps and that was it. Saw no bait, covered mile of beach couple times, nice night out, saw a bright shooting star.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

I'm hearing from some others day break at the inlet the blues are around, but that hasn't proven itself to me just yet bass just plain sucks and the boats are going after seabass rather then fluke pretty sad Spring action our arms should be sore as hell at this point but not so.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

^ Rich....same over this side of the pond... I took Monty to hell and back again last night....and we couldn't even raise a fish.......

the inconsistency is disappointing......
    This morning he and I ran into another friend who fishes every day.......
    He got a 25# bass on artificials 2 weeks ago and hasn't had one since that...

So I told Monty I guess the key is to fish every day.....to give some more consistently.....
    Shortly after that, I got a text from another friend...who DOES fish every day.......he texted me this is the worst fishing he's seen, in terms of consistency, in 30 years of fishing the salt......

I have no answers at this point, other that many would be in agreement, that the biomass numbers are down....
    Good to see you're able to get out some......

fished the ss tonight 7-9pm. Bucktail and pork. Surf a little churned up. One 8lb bluefish and a sea robin.

Fished a good spot in the ss 7-9. Probably a bad part of the tide as it was low water. Zippo

Report- SS fishing sucks this year where are the BASS!!!!!!! fished yesterday and today 7-9pm, nothing except slipgut and weeds.

This might give you an idea how bad it's been here.
    "all the Captree PB are fishing state channel to the west. No reports mean no fish !"

I've already packed up for the Spring run here it just didn't happen the fish were out deep where I fish anyways couple of blues.No fluke seabass(RSA) is not great it's ok but a lot of shorts to cull through and a long ride to the reef on most PB's.Rods are washed up and put away it is just not worth the time period(unless you want exercise) I thought I would never hear those words again after the first moratorium but here we go again.If you want fish hit a boat and hope for the best.Welcome to NY...
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Quote Originally Posted by rockhopper View Post
    Report- SS fishing sucks this year where are the BASS!!!!!!! fished yesterday and today 7-9pm, nothing except slipgut and weeds.
    Fished SS this morning, 2:00 to 8:00.
    El-Skunkaroo.
    Couple light hits and two Hogys wrecked by blues was all the action I could get and could not seal the deal......
    Beautiful night and morning.
    Traffic was a bit of a pain, 11:30-1:40 on the road for a normal hour 20 minute trip. Got off track and the GPS was recalculating for a solid 10 minutes, ended up driving around the city a bit. Atrocious drivers, part of this fishing experience fishing on LI is the trip there, a bit of an adventure at times with traffic, slow cars in left lane, cars drifting through lanes, someone backing up on 95 in the right lane last night, frieking bright camera lights going off at intersections for no reason, construction.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    Fished SS this morning, 2:00 to 8:00.
    El-Skunkaroo.
    Couple light hits and two Hogys wrecked by blues was all the action I could get and could not seal the deal......
    Beautiful night and morning.
    Traffic was a bit of a pain, 11:30-1:40 on the road for a normal hour 20 minute trip. Got off track and the GPS was recalculating for a solid 10 minutes, ended up driving around the city a bit. Atrocious drivers, part of this fishing experience fishing on LI is the trip there, a bit of an adventure at times with traffic, slow cars in left lane, cars drifting through lanes, someone backing up on 95 in the right lane last night, frieking bright camera lights going off at intersections for no reason, construction.
    For god sakes man you'll be doing the porta jon thing next like master googan (SBG) does

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    For god sakes man you'll be doing the porta jon thing next like master googan (SBG) does
    Not to worry, I don't nap or sleep while fishing.
    These were around and I think were being slurped.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014_6_22_hooked.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	31.0 KB 
ID:	18574

sand crabs or sand fleas what ever you want to call them excellent bass and blackfish bait

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

^^^^^ what Fin said really tight to the beach fluke like them too.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Fished the ss yesterday from 7pm to sunset it was high tide. Great water but the southeast wind made it tough to throw out. Was tossing big pencil poppers and got 2 bluefish. One 6lbs one 9lbs. Good fight and fun. Good time out there.

Boat report went on my uncles boat yesterday. We fluked and got some up to 18". Heard about bunker on the radio so we cruised all the way to moriches. Found a lot of bunker and some with activity so we started livelining. Well no stripers but we got covered up with blues big ones too. Up to 16 pounds. Hell of an exercise reeling those big brutes in. All fish released. I think big bluefish taste terrible and wouldn't feed them to a cat. Still a great time.

Quote Originally Posted by lostatsea View Post
    I think big bluefish taste terrible and wouldn't feed them to a cat.

Fished ocean side out east this morning 2:30-7:30.
    Skunk.
    Was really dark and foggy at times , my first time out that way, was fun, nice night. Don't think I ever fished in so much dark, much darker than Jersey.

Was like a frieking lake

At least you caught a nice sunrise. Man you are all over the world this year looking for fish. I have to respect your drive to find them. Maybe we should all get kayaks.

Quote Originally Posted by storminsteve View Post
    At least you caught a nice sunrise. Man you are all over the world this year looking for fish. I have to respect your drive to find them. Maybe we should all get kayaks.
    I'm anti boat and anti kayaks. It's the challenge of catching from the surf that's fun.
    Its fun fishing (even if its not catching), the new water. Learning....
    Jersey sun rises are much better than LI (lands in the way).

Well fished from 2:30-7:30 this morning and believe it or not I caught a fish.

My push further east continued. Lots of walking this trip.
    Was a beautiful night, still I spent the first 2 hours acting like a banana head, so that fishing was relatively not early on.
    So really started fishing around 4:30.
    Around 5:15 I lost a fish on a 5 1/2" loaded Red Fin, things were back to normal.
    A little while later I caught around a 24 inch Striper on a yellow Bernzy....

Then between then and 7:30 I caught 4 Blues between 4-6 pounds, easily lost 10 or more, 5 of which were on for over 30 seconds (I am in mid-season form). Plus missed a few hits. Lots of fun, all the Blue action was top water on Superstrike poppers and assorted Spooks (Awesome Strikes on the plugs). Had to really make a commotion to get their attention.
    Great fun time fishing a new location for me.

Even found a sunrise.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014_7_6_SR.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	18619

First time I used a Boga on a Blue.

Nice looking blue. Heard of some on the south shore but mostly hitting bunker schools. Were any bunker around?

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast