Thread: Big bass bash

Default Big bass bash

With all the stories about death and destruction out there I thought this was a good positive one. His son has cancer. Instead of letting him worry his son told him to go out and fish. 8.46 lbs nice bass.

POSTED: Monday, April 14, 2014 - 7:23pm

LAKE PALESTINE Tx (KETK) ? Lake Palestine hosted the 2nd annual "Big Bass Bash" held April 12th and 13th, the two-day event is organized by Townsquare Media, KNUE Radio was out there for the big event. General Manager Johnny Lathrop says the attendance was double what it was last year. He tells us there were a lot of winners, it was a fun and packed weekend.

They had weigh-ins each hour and payouts each hour for the two-day event. The winner of the overall payout is a father of five from Kilgore. We sat down with the Big Bass Bash winner Bobby Curnutt on Monday, he says he wasn't planning on going fishing because of a work injury last week. His son who's battling cancer told him that he needed to go and catch a fish.

Curnutt says it was God's plan for him to take his boat out to Lake Palestine at 4 a.m. Saturday morning for the Big Bass Bash.
    "The interesting story about Bobby is he wasn't planning on fishing this weekend so the weather held out just long enough for us to complete the tournament and Bobby ironically won in the 8 a.m. hour Saturday morning, he has a 8.46 and that record held the entire two days of the tournament," said Lathrop, General Manager & Organizer, Townsquare Media.

"Leading up to this tournament Thursday I got sick in an oil-field location," said Curnett. He was sent to the hospital and was released Friday, the day before the tournament.

"My youngest son has cancer, he told me I needed to go so I went," said Curnett. It was just him on his boat just waiting and thinking about his family and son Kyle, 24, who has been battling a rare cancer for the past year. In the second hour of fishing he caught the big one. He tells us that he's still in shock and overwhelmed, and feels it was meant for him to win the tournament.

The big payout for the overall winner was $10,000 and Curnutt says he feels blessed to have received that check. It sits above his fireplace mantel. He believes it was a shirt that he wore while fishing which gave him extra luck. A shirt was made for his son while he was in the hospital for cancer treatment. He calls it his lucky shirt. The shirt reads 'Kyle Curnutt' with a yellow tied-ribbon symbolizing cancer.

Curnutt describes what it was like to be sitting in his boat for the weekend. He was just listening to the radio and couldn't believe he was still in the lead. "I'm just sitting in this boat crying, couldn't fish, it's been a long two days for me."

The father of five tells us it wasn't about the tournament he just wanted to fish for Kyle. He believes God held that fish up for him and he couldn't wait to tell his son. We asked Bobby Curnutt what Kyle's reaction was when he came home, "I won that tournament Kyle I won it for you, I won't that for you, he smiled," said Curnutt.

If you would like to learn more about the Big Bass Bash and to view results of all the winners, click below:
    http://bigbassbashtexas.com/2014-big-bass-bash-results/
    CONGRATULATIONS TO EVERYONE!
    PRAYERS GOT OUT TO THE CURNUTT FAMILY OF KILGORE.
    Thank you Bobby Curnutt for sharing your story.

http://www.ketknbc.com/news/big-bass...in-the-big-one

Great story thanks for sharing.