Thread: Jackson Kayak BIGRIG

Default Jackson Kayak BIGRIG

I just ordered my Jackson BIGRIG kayak. Should be here around Tuesday. Just in time for some warmer weather. I know it isn't a speed demon but I wanted something I could stand and fish. Should be good for the flats and lakes.

Sorry if this sounds stupid but what exactly is a Jackson bigrig and what makes it different from others? Have never even seen pics of one. Do you have pics? thanks

Well admittedly kayaking , more specifically kayak fishing has evolved quite dramatically. I think a better term would be personal fishing craft. The jackson bigrig kayak us a wide kayak that is stable and designed specifically for stand up fishing. It is almost specifically designed for fly fisherman. It has troughs on both sides that a full fly rod sits in protected. It comes with many features that include a stand assist bar and comfortable seating with lumbar support. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7105.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	18159

Very nice. Should be a lot of fun.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Nice rig rob. Good luck with it. When does it arrive?

Quote Originally Posted by storminsteve View Post
    Nice rig rob. Good luck with it. When does it arrive?
    I elected to pick it up at the trucking terminal as opposed to home delivery as I was worried that it would come when I wasn't home and the guy might damage it getting it off the truck. Anyway- It has been sitting 3 miles from my house since Friday night I have to wait until Monday to go get it. I am excited. I finally got what I wanted. Sand color with a rudder!

A review of the Jackson Kayak Big Rig:

I took the kayak out for its maiden voyage yesterday. Fished a local lake for about 3 hours. In spite of the forecasted 2mph wind there was a steady 10mph wind blowing. With the rudder deployed the wind was no issue whatsoever. I never had a ruddered kayak before so it took me some time to get used to it.
    The seating has 2 positions, high and low. Obviously low is a lower center of gravity but I had the seat in the high position the whole time. The kayak felt very stable at this level and only when I severely leaned over the side did it give way.
    The boat is wide, hence the stability, but I found it to paddle well. No slower than my old kayak. Admittedly when I first started paddling it felt like a tank and I wasn't going anywhere- but it was just a matter of getting used to where to put my strokes. I am normally a low angle paddler- this boat lends itself to a high angle stroke- Keep that in mind when you purchase a paddle- get a high angle stroke blade- You will need a 250CM paddle at minimum (260CM if you plan on doing low angle)
    Standup fishing- The yak comes with a standup assist bar in the front that you can raise to use or keep it folded out of the way when not in use. Initially I used this bar to assist me in standing but after trying it a few times and feeling comfortable I lowered the assist bar out of the way and did not use it. I was able to spincast and fly fish from the yak in a standing position without any issues at all. The ability to stand is cool for beaching the kayak too. As I roll into for a landing I stand and as the kayak touches ground I just step off. nice!

The yak comes with 5 gear tracks, 2 rod tubes and a ball and rod holder to make for easy attachments of electronics and gadgets. There are 2 hatches for in the boat storage, a water bottle, stand assist bar and elite seating with lumbar pad. Speaking of the seat- It is very comfortable and just wide enough to give you support and also allowing to get a normal paddle stroke.

The kayak is called BIG RIG for a reason. It is big and it is heavy. I could not imagine car topping this sucker. But then again it is a personal fishing craft- it gets the job done on the water. If you want to cruise the seven seas with a light agile craft- then get a real kayak. If you want a fishing machine- get a big rig.

The kayak comes in a bunch of different camo colors, but I like a clean look. I opted for the sand color. It almost looks white in full sun- which should be a little more visible to other boaters while in the bay or large lakes with motor boats present.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140421_144839.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	42.3 KB 
ID:	18177
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20140421_144800.jpg  

Very nice best of luck with it catch em up

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Nice review rob good luck with it.

Awesome review rob. If I got a kayak it would be like that one. I want stability not speed. I would use it to hit the coves in the back bays and the sedges. Total stealth machine to get away from the crowds. Best of luck with it.

I can definitely see all the positives Rob.

My concern with any of these big kayaks being used in open waters is the wind and their surface area.

There are documented cases where guys got in trouble with big kayaks such as the pro angler because they couldn't peddle or paddle against the wind.

I have a Hobie Outback which is a fairly big kayak. Against a strong wind my speed gets drastically reduced as the wind catches the bow and creates heavy resistance. My brother in the Revo 13 can travel 2x faster than me against a strong wind.

As with any kayak or other small watercraft watch those winds guys!

agreed JB. To add to the big kayak part- I am sitting up higher and that causes some wind problems as well. My intentions for this yak are to not paddle far- I am actually going to get a trolling motor installed later this year for any longer voyages and perhaps even go to a small 2-3hp outboard on the back...eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by robmedina View Post
    The ability to stand is cool for beaching the kayak too. As I roll into for a landing I stand and as the kayak touches ground I just step off. nice!

The kayak is called BIG RIG for a reason. It is big and it is heavy. I could not imagine car topping this sucker. But then again it is a personal fishing craft- it gets the job done on the water. If you want to cruise the seven seas with a light agile craft- then get a real kayak. If you want a fishing machine- get a big rig.

I like that you can stand in it that seems like a good feature on calm days. You have had this kayak for about a year now. You initially said it was heavy. Has that been a factor in how often you use it or have you gotten used to it? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seamonkey View Post
    I like that you can stand in it that seems like a good feature on calm days. You have had this kayak for about a year now. You initially said it was heavy. Has that been a factor in how often you use it or have you gotten used to it? thanks

Hey Seamonkey- It has gotten heavier with all the crap I put on it. It has not deterred me but you have to know that I am a beast. I drag this thing about 1/2 mile through the sand fully loaded LOL! I use it as often as I can brother even with the now additional weight of an outboard.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20150425_142236.jpg