Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: NJ Fishing Reports for May 2014.....www.StripersAndAnglers.com

Hey nice catch is it tough to throw that mambo minnow when it is windy?

Quote Originally Posted by basshunter View Post
    Hey nice catch is it tough to throw that mambo minnow when it is windy?
    They can be tuff to cast on a strong wind but sometimes ya just need to get it in the wash...I LOVE the mambo 1 of my best catchers!

Thu report 5-29
    Fished the new moon tides too many hours from deep in the night into the morning for 4 cocktail bluefish. There were some nicer high teen bass and bluefish that I saw caught. These fish would only take bunker heads and chunks and were very tight to the bunker. Managed one missed fish on bucktail but these fish were specifically keyed in on the bunker.

Ended the trip with the 4 small blues on bucktail and rubber right around sunrise as the tide began to flood. Conditions were gray and overcast, very raw throughout the night, steady 20mph E/NE winds, higher gusts. I was limited in the places I could fish and had to prioritize fishing where I found a lee from it.

There's nothing wrong with that, or fishing bunker chunks and heads....thanks to all those who offered me bunker to fish with....but it's not a challenge for me to do that, so I generally try to fish artificials now. In the past, when there were more bass, I was able to pick bass off in almost any condition, with the exception being when the forage is exclusively rainfish or during a cinder worm spawn.

There has been a slight cinder worm spawn in the last few days in some areas...but that's not my assessment for why the bite has been poor for a lot of us out there......I'll finish the rest of these thoughts in the Turd Ferguson thread....

The other thing I'm seeing regularly is that this year....the fish are so thin in the bay, river, and inlet areas...that I'm noticing a difference...
    1. In the past, on a night when there were a lot of bunker, I would wait till the largest numbers of bunker thinned out....and then the bass action on artificials would seem to get a little better ......
    2. This year, the concentrations of fish feeding on the bunker seems to be less. As soon as the bulk of the bunker move or start to thin out......the catching level stops.....even for the guys using bait........this was not my experience in the past........
    Someone waiting long enough.......with a bunker head.....could count on a 20# or better bass coming along and catching that fish.....

Now, the level of catching, seems much more random........which to me is another indicator of less fish....

Thanks for reading.....comments welcome....

Fished cape may this morning. 5-7:15. It was a little rough waves and needed 6 oz to hold bottom. Using fresh bunker. Got one dogfish and then had to leave for work.

nomoco today on the incoming tide 6-8am. I got one small blue and short fluke. A few others caught around me and some small fluke on metal. There were about 10 of us there and not that great. I was reading betty and nicks report and he said they are doing great down there. A bluefish on every cast or something to that effect. what gives where are the bass?

^^^^^ Offshore?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	136614.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	18384

bababooey roflmao!!!!!!! im not finding em neither. we were catching sum nice bass about 32, 33, 34 inches like that. once these big blufish came around they took over! latly its not even the big ones dont kno where they went but its like the biggest ones r 10 pounds. they still bite thru the leaders we dont use wire. last nite it was like the big ones left too we got bothered by the 4 pounders all night until the tide started going out.
    dark if u want bunker hit us up bro!! we got fresh every day. i kno u kno where to find them just snag one and catch! eff the lures too much work!

Fished moco early am with bucktail. Nothing for me save a stubborn stargazer

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    [B]There were some nicer high teen bass and bluefish that I saw caught. These fish would only take bunker heads and chunks and were very tight to the bunker.
    There's nothing wrong with that, or fishing bunker chunks and heads....thanks to all those who offered me bunker to fish with....but it's not a challenge for me to do that, so I generally try to fish artificials now.
    Thanks for reading.....comments welcome..
    Comments? OK.
    Its not called fishing when using bunker. Its called Bunkering. When these guys leave their house to try to catch a bass they tell their wife, family, dog or cat, "see ya's I'm going Bunkering to try to catch a Big Bass".
    Throw your plugs and enjoy the fishing

Just kidding

Seriously to many bass have been killed in the last few years. Better enjoy the.fishing because the catching is getting worse.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    Its not called fishing when using bunker. Its called Bunkering. Seriously to many bass have been killed in the last few years. Better enjoy the.fishing because the catching is getting worse.
    If you stopped people from using bunker 90% of the bass charters would be out of business in a year.

^^ lol Check this out gents. live bunker loser boy lol!

Fished moco this morning. Lots of white water and ne wind not that great for fishing. Picked up a few little bass, 3 bass and 2 bluefish. Bucktail and grub.

Tried fishing this morning for some bluefish and came up empty...should of used the kayak and fought the wind we would have caught some for sure.

Went crabbing after with my brother and we caught about 75. Only 20 keepers and most were females that had not laid eggs yet so we released them. The other keepers were not very big...probably only had a few over 5". We usually don't even keep them unless they are over 5-5.5".

A few more weeks of warming temps and they will become much more active.

Fished up at the hook today for fluke. The middle of the outgoing tide seemed to be the ticket. Picked at them with a lot of casts. Got 4 fluke and 3 sea robins. The sea robins up there are giant and damn aggressive they must be spawning? used a double gulp rig with nuclear chicken. Most fish on the bottom gulp. The one nice fluke was 18 1/2" and I kept for dinner. The rest were real small. I am surprised they thought they would eat that piece of giant gulp. Happy to report I had only one bluefish biteoff. Wonder where the blues went?

Quote Originally Posted by J Barbosa View Post
    Went crabbing after with my brother and we caught about 75. Only 20 keepers and most were females that had not laid eggs yet so we released them. The other keepers were not very big...probably only had a few over 5".
    jb awesome catching on the crabs i didn't know that people went crabbing this early way to go.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910