Thread: Paul Lindner of Cyclone lures

Default Paul Lindner of Cyclone lures

APP did an article on him. Thought it was interesting.

Atom Stasher
    Written by John Oswald @oswaldapp
    May 8, 2014 | app.com

The Atom Striper Swiper was my version of the Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Range Model Air Rifle
    ? much desired, but forever out of reach.

Back in the day when I whined incessantly for one, they were a luxury item, about $5 apiece. That kind of
    expenditure would mean a meatless week for my family. While my father had one, he knew better than to
    invest such a sum in a lure that most certainly would be snapped off on a first cast or permanently stuck
    on a Sea Bright jetty.

My surf skills were too untested for me to be trusted with such a plug. Suspecting larceny in my heart, he
    kept his hidden away.
    ?Next year,? was the familiar refrain.

Paul Lindner, the builder of Cyclone Lures, also came from a family that prized the plugs, created by Bob
    Pond of Attleboro, Massachusetts. ?My father and grandfather both fished with them,? said Lindner at
    home last Monday. There he has collected more than 250 of the classic lures, most in their original
    packaging.

Lindner, who is no slouch himself when it comes to crafting quality lures, already had an impressive
    collection of Atom Lures when he became serious about it eight years ago. When I asked him exactly how
    many lures he had, he replied that if you asked his wife, the answer would be too many. He said he didn?t
    have enough.

Atom Lures hold a special place in the hearts of saltwater fishermen everywhere. Everybody fished them.
    The story of the lure?s beginnings goes that Pond was fishing the Cape Cod Canal when he noticed a
    fellow fisherman was landing big stripers while he was having no success. The bass were feeding on top
    and the prevailing wisdom of the day was that they couldn?t be caught when that was happening. Yet this
    one angler was having no trouble hooking trophy fish.

Pond was back at the canal when he came upon a beat up old lure that he guessed had been lost or
    discarded by the other angler who was catching the big bass. Pond gave it a try and had similar success.
    Working with wood and materials he had around his house, Pond created the first versions of his now
    famous plug. This being the dawn of the nuclear age, Pond named his new company Atom Lures.
    He first started selling his swimmers wrapped in newspapers to fellow anglers along the canal. Then they
    became available to the general public in 1945. Atom Lures sold in stores from $1.50 to $2.25, a princely
    sum at the time.

They were also available through the postal service in their own mailing boxes. The Striper Atom 40s
    came in three colors: herring blue, whiting gold and silver and blue.

The plugs quickly caught on with saltwater fishermen not only because they caught fish, but also for their durability. They could withstand the beating delivered by the fish and the weather.

Lindner said it?s so hard to find lures in good condition now because guys fished them. ?They?re a lot of
    Atoms around, but not in the best of shape,? he said.

www.app.com

Good read thanks for posting