Thread: Took my son fly fishing today

Default Took my son fly fishing today

Well I finally got my son to go fishing. I would say go fishing with me but the goal was for him to fish and me help. I tied on a dry fly so he could catch sunnies. Well he caught about a dozen sunnies and was having fun. The highlight was when his fly sank and I told him to pick it up and falsr cast it to dry the fly off and when he went to pick the rod up it just bent. He had a 13" largemouth on the other end! I tried to get him to lip the bass so I could get a picture but as soon as he felt the sandpaper mouth it grossed him out LOL, so I just released it.
    Hopefully the passion for fishing will grow in him. At least we are making the strides in the right direction. He did admit that it was fun when he was hooked up!

very nice

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Nice work Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by robmedina View Post
    He had a 13" largemouth on the other end! I tried to get him to lip the bass so I could get a picture but as soon as he felt the sandpaper mouth it grossed him out LOL, so I just released it.
    Hopefully the passion for fishing will grow in him. At least we are making the strides in the right direction. He did admit that it was fun when he was hooked up!

That's the best you can do with children. One small step at a time. At least you got him out there to spend quality time with Dad. Nice report

Thats a great report like CT said. Real nice he got that bass too.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Quote Originally Posted by robmedina View Post
    Well I finally got my son to go fishing. I would say go fishing with me but the goal was for him to fish and me help. .......At least we are making the strides in the right direction. He did admit that it was fun when he was hooked up!

That's the right way to go about it, Rob. I like to fish by myself because then it's all about the solitude, what I want to do, and the numbers. It's a personal contest each time to catch as many as I can, or find them when it appears they are not around.

When I take someone else, like Pebbles, etc, it becomes all about them, and their happiness. Everything is geared toward making sure they will have the best experience and want to come back again.

You seem to have it down. Quality time with father and son.
    Here's a little story....when Pebbles children were younger, I would take them fishing. They liked it but grew out of it. They saw the large bluefish their Mom brought home the other night (we had to kill one) and their eyes bulged out looking at it. It may have sparked an interest and we may take one of them on a fishing trip with us.

The interest of children comes and goes when it comes to the outdoors. If you can ignite even the smallest spark, and spend some quality time with your son, those are precious memories that will last forever.

Good times, good Dad.

Thanks! I am glad to hear that one of Pebbles kids may get back into fishing. That's awesome! Now you have the pressure of putting them on fish! LOL! Enjoy my friend!

Great report thank you for sharing