Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weakfish, bass- I've seen this before, its happening again

This thread brings back memories of fishing for them in Fortescue where there were so many we could catch them by the garbage pail full. That was a long time ago.
    There is a NJFGW piece by Russ Allen that does a pretty good job on the overview. "What happened to Weakfish?"
    http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/2010/digmar6-10.pdf

I haven't seen weak fish in the rivers of connecticut in about 5 years.

Great thread gents. As you said it definitely brings back memories. I used to fish for them at dawn and dusk in low light hours on a sandy bank near a bridge by an inlet.

Last night I had a dream about weakfish! I dreamed I was down somewhere in the chesapeake bay and they came in mid spring like they used to. when I got there there was a guy fishing just with sandworms, tossing near the bridge. Every few minutes he would catch one. One time the pole was hit hard, and it was bent in half as he reeled it in. The weakfish was a beauty, around 10 lbs. A Dad and his kids watched along with me as he brought it in, and carefully released it. The kids asked him why, and he said so there would be enough for the future.

Great read thanks for the posts. Not looking for spots, just wondering if anyone is seeing any weakfish right now?

Got one last night. pink fin-s and light jig head. Change of tide in the back. It was smalll, only 20 inches. Two small bass as well.

Eye opening thread thank you for sharing.

They're getting some nice ones in the Sound on the bluefish boats at night. I'm still looking for my first of 2018.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12