Thread: Why is the water brown in Raritan Bay?

Hybrid View

Read this today
    The Lower Raritan Watershed Partnership, NY/NJ Baykeeper and Raritan Riverkeeper Bill Schultz were out on the Raritan River / Raritan Bay yesterday (8/1/2016) to capture water samples for pathogens testing after all the rain.

We just got the test results back: All sites in South Amboy and Perth Amboy came back positive for bacteria.

The Perth Amboy sites were off the charts. To be considered swimmable the test must come back at 35 MPN/100mls or less.

Rt. 35 Bridge was 3,448 MPN/100MLS

The 2nd Street and the Yacht Club sites were each in the 400s.

We had much better/safer results during the drought! Please stay out of the waters!

Sewage
    Cheaper for NY to pump raw than treat during periods of heavy rain been going on for over 40 years that I can remember

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

They could also have a combination of high water temperatures and people being a little lax this time of year.
    I agree with fin Chaser about the sewage, but people and their littering, and throwing fish carcasses in the water and marinas doesn't help the situation. They just closed two beaches in the Beachwood area down due to high bacterial content.
    http://www.nj.com/ocean/index.ssf/20...lantic_article

I have heard so many people talk about Raritan Bay this year that it blows my mind. That bay runs water from sewer systems when it rains a lot. I don't know how you guys could eat fish out of there. You all deserve the Mad pooper!
    http://denver.cbslocal.com/2017/09/1...gs-mad-pooper/

Rb has the brownest water I have ever seen.

Finally have the scientific answer. Raritan bay water cleaned up because some of the poopers were pooping on running tracks!

Gross!