Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is the water brown in Raritan Bay?

Default Why is the water brown in Raritan Bay?

I am pretty sure the last two years the majority of the time I fished bayside of the hook I thought the water was stained brown.

http://www.app.com/story/news/local/...bloom/9884263/

A nontoxic bloom of algae was confirmed in Raritan Bay Monday, and the water may look brown as a result.

A state aircraft's remote sensor detected elevated levels of chlorophyll in Raritan Bay, which is typically associated with algal blooms, according to the Department of Environmental Protection's njbeaches.org website.

Chlorophyll, a green pigment present in algae and plants, absorbs light energy and plays a vital role in photosynthesis, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

The DEP Bureau of Marine Water Monitoring collected five samples in the Raritan Bay area and found that the bloom was dominated by two nontoxic species of algae, according to the DEP website. Algae cell levels ranged from 2,200 to 3,300 cells per milliliter.

One of the species will cause "a brown water discoloration," but it is not linked to the "brown tide," the website says.

The brown tide algae ? Aureococcus anophageffrens ? has plagued Barnegat and other bays over the years.

The Bureau of Marine Water Monitoring will continue to monitor coastal waters with surveillance flights, according to the DEP website.

Todd B. Bates: 732-643-4237; tbates@app.com
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

I think I can answer that. It's a little involved so work with me.
    (I hope you guys don't think this is racist as I have a chinese girlfriend on the side, and we employ a chinese gardener who does very good work) On monty's last trip to china he aggravated a lot of chinese people. They had been wiping their du-pa's with their hands for centuries. Then monty comes along and asks for toilet paper. All of a sudden the CEO of the company had a secretary he was banging. Since she was banging him she thought she deserved the same priveleges monty did. so she demanded toilet paper as well. He gave her some but stockpiled it in the executive washroom in his office (i stole this from seinfeld) He swore her to secrecy about the toilet paper. To keep names straight, let's call her Lin.

Even though Lin was banging the CEO, her heart belonged to a worker on the factory floor named Hu-Chen. He was a handsome fella and stole her heart. Their romance was forbidden in Chinese custom because her parents wanted her to marry someone above her status. However she couldn't marry her boss because he was already married. So she was stuck in a culture wormhole. She did mention to her true live Hu-Chen that monty was being given some toilet paper, and she as well. She tried to sneak some in to him and his friends but it caused a grave uproar in the factory. Pretty soon all the workers heard about the luxury of using toilet paper to clean their rectums to sparkling shiny condition. They all wanted some. When the bosses found out, they calculated it would cost the factory an extra $1.07 per month per worker if they were to supply them with toilet paper. This was unacceptable as it would cut into the profit margin.

Since it is important in Chinese culture to save face and avoid confrontation,. the bosses could not confront monty or his superiors over this grave indiscretion. instead, they knew china is a country of 8 billion people. They found out monty lived in nj and liked to fish the bays. I don't know if monty fishes the raritan bay exclusively or fishes the barnegat bay as well,. so lets use the raritan bay as an example. The bosses told all their relatives that every time someone visited new jersey, it would be a sign of respect to monty if they would go down to the shoreline and poop in the raritan bay. This only seemed to happen in the summer because the chinese embassy extended so many visas and summer season was the most visas. The town authorities thought it was algae or bunker crap but they didn't want to let the real reason get out - that for some reason an untold # of asian tourists were coming down to the bay and pooping in the water.

This went on for the whole summer of 2013 and part of 2014 before some fishermen reported it and the authorities were alerted. The rogue chinese tourists were rounded up and sent back to china post haste. To this day whenever it gets over 75 degrees the accumulated waste comes out from the back creeks and turns the water there brown.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

roflmao!!!!!!!! bababooey that was one of the funniest stories I have ever read! You are sick!! Get help, but please keep writing these stories. lololol!

Quote Originally Posted by cowherder View Post
    roflmao!!!!!!!! bababooey that was one of the funniest stories I have ever read! You are sick!! Get help, but please keep writing these stories. lololol!
    While I will agree its one of the funniest stories, its nothing less than expected from Bababooey. He is out there, waaaay out there.

Thank you Bababooey, and its Raritan bay, never Barnegat, so the story holds true

The water is always brown in the Raritan Bay when the temps get hot. It's usually brown more often than it is clear.

They are also extending the sand/dirt into the bay at the port Monmouth pier and that is muddying the waters near there.

NY

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Awesome story bababooey! I like that explanation better than any of the rational ones. finchaser what do you mean by "NY"?

I don't know the area but remember reading something about the sewage treatment plants up there. I think they had to close down swimming a few years ago because some sewage got out? Sounds nasty, feel bad for you guys that have to fish it.

What he said and how they always overflow in bad storms so they have to release raw sewage

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Quote Originally Posted by bababooey View Post
    Even though Lin was banging the CEO, her heart belonged to a worker on the factory floor named Hu-Chen. He was a handsome fella and stole her heart. Their romance was forbidden in Chinese custom because her parents wanted her to marry someone above her status. However she couldn't marry her boss because he was already married. So she was stuck in a culture wormhole. She did mention to her true live Hu-Chen that monty was being given some toilet paper, and she as well. She tried to sneak some in to him and his friends but it caused a grave uproar in the factory. Pretty soon all the workers heard about the luxury of using toilet paper to clean their rectums to sparkling shiny condition. They all wanted some. When the bosses found out, they calculated it would cost the factory an extra $1.07 per month per worker if they were to supply them with toilet paper. This was unacceptable as it would cut into the profit margin.

haha an extra $1.07 a month so workers can wipe there heineys! Dude this reads like a soap opera drama did you ever think about writing scripts for TV. That was funny right there!

I think I can answer that. It's a little involved so work with me.
    (I hope you guys don't think this is racist as I have a chinese girlfriend on the side, and we employ a chinese gardener who does very good work) On monty's last trip to china he aggravated a lot of chinese people. They had been wiping their du-pa's with their hands for centuries. Then monty comes along and asks for toilet paper. All of a sudden the CEO of the company had a secretary he was banging. Since she was banging him she thought she deserved the same priveleges monty did. so she demanded toilet paper as well. He gave her some but stockpiled it in the executive washroom in his office (i stole this from seinfeld) He swore her to secrecy about the toilet paper. To keep names straight, let's call her Lin.

Since it is important in Chinese culture to save face and avoid confrontation,. the bosses could not confront monty or his superiors over this grave indiscretion. instead, they knew china is a country of 8 billion people. They found out monty lived in nj and liked to fish the bays. I don't know if monty fishes the raritan bay exclusively or fishes the barnegat bay as well,. so lets use the raritan bay as an example. The bosses told all their relatives that every time someone visited new jersey, it would be a sign of respect to monty if they would go down to the shoreline and poop in the raritan bay. This only seemed to happen in the summer because the chinese embassy extended so many visas and summer season was the most visas. The town authorities thought it was algae or bunker crap but they didn't want to let the real reason get out - that for some reason an untold # of asian tourists were coming down to the bay and pooping in the water.

This went on for the whole summer of 2013 and part of 2014 before some fishermen reported it and the authorities were alerted. The rogue chinese tourists were rounded up and sent back to china post haste. To this day whenever it gets over 75 degrees the accumulated waste comes out from the back creeks and turns the water there brown.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
    Dude I agree you should be a writer. Funniest post of the month.

X2!

Pretty soon all the workers heard about the luxury of using toilet paper to clean their rectums to sparkling shiny condition.

OMG bababooey that was hilarious! roflmao

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    What he said and how they always overflow in bad storms so they have to release raw sewage

Thank you fellas. I really haven't fished in raritan bay a lot but heard it was kind of dirty and had a lot of sewage runoff. It fit in with the story when ad-libbiing about monty and his toilet paper adventures in china. So I rolled with it. Do not mean to offend any folks who do fish the raritan. This is just what I heard. And the times when I have driven across the parkway bridge during low tide, the place did smell like a sewer. Just reporting what it smelt like. I would not eat a striped bass from there because I feel it would be a bass that had eaten poop at one time.

With the August days of Summer upon is, Raritan Bay full of algae and possibly higher fecal content.....
    I thought it was time to resurrect this thread for some laughs and Monty's benefit....nice job on the story, people.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    With the August days of Summer upon is, Raritan Bay full of algae and possibly higher fecal content.....
    I thought it was time to resurrect this thread for some laughs and Monty's benefit....nice job on the story, people.
    Its crystal clear on parts of LI Shamski.

I don't know how folks could fish water that brown. The water here is so clear you can see the bottom in some places. One place you can't is Boston Harbor. Still sounds a heck of a lot cleaner than that bay of yours. Disgusting.

No offense but I dont think the fish really care! I stopped by a rb inlet on the way home and baitfish all over. No big fish seemed like lots of small ones.

Good point. They call stripers saltwater carp. and you know a lot of carp live in dirty or muddy water. Funny thread though.

Yep and sometimes striped bass will eat bread and such. They could be cousins to carp.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast