U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Breaking North Carolina Law
    US FWS Caught Releasing Coyotes Onto Private Land in Eastern NC

This just in from Jett Ferrebee:

NCWRC Officer Robert Wayne
    31820 US 64
    Englehard, NC 27824
    via certified letter 6/10/14

Officer Wayne,

I would like to report the following alleged wildlife violations in your region.

1. 31 counts of sterilization of coyotes without a permit.

This activity apparently involves USFWS biologists and the veterinary clinics that performed the sterilizations.

Evidence:

From USFWS January - March 2013 Quarterly Report -

http://www.fws.gov/redwolf/Images/20...rt_FY13-02.pdf

"Thirty-one coyotes were captured and released during the quarter, 29 of which were first-time captures. All captured coyotes were sterilized before being radio-collared and released, and consisted of eight males and 23 females."

USFWS had no sterilization permit during this time period.

It is my strong belief that this activity was repeated again from January through May of 2014. The USFWS reports for this period have not been published. USFWS keeps a "canid book" which will have the information you need.

There was no sterilization permit in place for this period either.

In addition, I believe USFWS has been sterilizing coyotes in our State for almost 15 years. Please cross-reference the trapping and sterilization documentation in their quarterly reports with the issuance of the required permits during this time period. There are likely hundreds of violations.

2. Trapping out of season without a permit.

Evidence:

See the above referenced evidence.

Additionally, this USFWS presentation documents their trapping schedule is daily September through April.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4hb...FPakRWSXM/edit

"?  Trapping (Sept-April) ?  Daily"

3. Trapping on the land of another without written permission.

Evidence:

I have requested information regarding this activity from USFWS and have not yet received it. Since 90% of the red wolf packs and the vast majority of coyotes occur on private land, I suspect this activity to be rampant. Again, the USFWS "canid book" information and lack of written permission from landowners should suffice as evidence. I have additional first hand information if you need it.

4. Releasing coyotes on the land of another without permission.

Evidence:

"FWS biologists have also tried bringing in sterilized coyotes to the area. The idea is those sterile animals will keep other coyotes out of the wolf territory and lower the risk of hybridization."

http://www.timberwolfinformation.org...n-controversy/

I suspect coyotes were trapped, sterilized and released on my farm in Tyrrell Co. in the Spring and Summer of 2013 by USFWS biologists. I never granted permission for anyone to release coyotes on my property. USFWS while at the office of the NCWRC Director was specifically directed by me to euthanize any trapped coyotes on my property. The USFWS should have this data. Again, the "canid book" should have this data.

It is well documented that USFWS regularly purchases coyotes from trappers. I can only assume these purchased coyotes are later released and likely released on private property without permission.

Purchase of live coyotes, entrapment, misrepresentation.

In the State of NC, it is illegal for wildlife to be bought and sold. One exception is that a coyote or fox may be sold only to a fox pen. Now, if special conditions that I am unaware of allow USFWS to purchase wildlife, will you confirm that these conditions were fully met at all times. It will be a real shame if local trappers (selling live coyotes to non fox pen buyer) and veterinarians (sterilization of wildlife) have jeopardized their livelihoods because they were led to believe that they were participating in a legal activity as it was represented to them by the USFWS. I will also copy Roy Cooper, as if my suspicions are correct, he will need to get involved in this matter.

Evidence:

?This year, we had 8 trappers participate and we paid out $5,200 for 32 coyotes and 10 red wolves.? 4/4/13 letter USFWS to RWC

I can provide this letter when necessary.

Officer Wayne, I take these alleged violations seriously and request to be updated regularly on their status.
    Also, are you comfortable that the deer used to feed the wolves in the acclimation pens and also the deer that are laced with medications and wormers for the "wild" wolves are taken legally (all required permits and landowner permissions)? Thank you for your help.

Sincerely,

Jett Ferebee
    701 Treybrooke Circle
    Greenville, NC 27834
    (252) 714-2774
    jettferebee@aol.com

cc:
    Gordon Myers, Director, North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission

Roy Cooper, NC Attorney General
    http://www.nchuntandfish.com/forums/...y-Jett-Ferebee

http://www.nchuntandfish.com/forums/...ration-scandal

Quote Originally Posted by jonthepain View Post
    Evidence:
    "FWS biologists have also tried bringing in sterilized coyotes to the area. The idea is those sterile animals will keep other coyotes out of the wolf territory and lower the risk of hybridization."

In the State of NC, it is illegal for wildlife to be bought and sold. One exception is that a coyote or fox may be sold only to a fox pen. Now, if special conditions that I am unaware of allow USFWS to purchase wildlife, will you confirm that these conditions were fully met at all times. It will be a real shame if local trappers (selling live coyotes to non fox pen buyer) and veterinarians (sterilization of wildlife) have jeopardized their livelihoods because they were led to believe that they were participating in a legal activity as it was represented to them by the USFWS. l

It never surprises me what the gov't is capable of.
    Just so I'm understanding this better. is the sterilization the issue, or is it that they are using them differently than they are upheld to do? thanks

This issue is that the coyotes that they are releasing (and "super coyotes" - wolf/coyote hybrids,) are decimating the livestock of NC farmers. So yes, using them contrary to how they were upheld to do. They were not supposed to deal with coyotes at all. Only red wolves. But instead of admitting that the experiment failed, they started releasing sterilized coyotes as "placeholders." Which might work if they could sterilize thousands of coyotes, but obviously that ain't happenin.

I used to wonder why the State's Rights movement was big enough to start a civil war. Now I am starting to see it.

Here's a synopsis of the issue that I sent to Jett Ferrebee:

The way I see it, and I have not had time to read all the articles
    (much less all 50 pages of posts on huntnfish,) is:

The red wolf program has failed, largely because of the unforeseen
    introduction of thousands of non-native, invasive coyotes into North
    Carolina, which cross breed with red wolves. According to the NC FWS,
    "this hybridization is the major cause of the near extinction of the
    red wolf."

The US FWS and others involved will not admit failure, because of the
    entirely human reticence to admit failure, the loss of millions of
    dollars in funding, the loss of their jobs, and in some cases their
    fanatical anti-hunting environmentalism.

While there are only 6 pure red wolves left, there are now hundreds of
    coyote-wolf hybrids, "super coyotes" if you will, that are quickly
    spreading across North Carolina, compounding the problems that
    landowners and even homeowners in Cary are having with invasive
    coyotes.

Coyotes are already decimating the native fox, deer, turkey, duck,
    quail, and rabbit populations. How much worse it will be when
    wolf-coyote hybrids are added to the mix can be seen on your farm.

The much touted, sterilized placeholder solution is "not sustainable"
    according to the US FWS, which is self-evident considering the
    thousands of coyotes that would need to be sterilized for success.

The public has wasted $28 Million so far on this program, including
    $3,901,500 in 2012.

The media has been predictably one sided in reporting the red wolf issue.

Quote Originally Posted by jonthepain View Post
    While there are only 6 pure red wolves left, there are now hundreds of
    coyote-wolf hybrids, "super coyotes" if you will, that are quickly
    spreading across North Carolina, compounding the problems that
    landowners and even homeowners in Cary are having with invasive
    coyotes.

Coyotes are already decimating the native fox, deer, turkey, duck,
    quail, and rabbit populations. How much worse it will be when
    wolf-coyote hybrids are added to the mix can be seen on your farm.

The much touted, sterilized placeholder solution is "not sustainable"
    according to the US FWS, which is self-evident considering the
    thousands of coyotes that would need to be sterilized for success.

The public has wasted $28 Million so far on this program, including
    $3,901,500 in 2012.

28 million for some coyotes. And they can't even control them. Give me a million dollars some bait, traps and a gun. In a year I bet I will do better than they have!