View Poll Results: Do you carry a Boga or other lip tool?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I carry a Boga or other lipping tool

7 87.50%
  • No

1 12.50%

Thread: Who carries a Boga or other lip tool

Default Who carries a Boga or other lip tool

Who carries a Boga or other lipping tool to either help handle a fish or weigh one?
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

I been using a boga for the last few years. Had hooks through the finger twice and went to the ER once. I self removed my last hook by pushing the hook thru. then crushing the barb for removal. I feel safer using the Boga. also lot less stress on the fish and a quicker release.

boga is the silver ghost- I have a cheap china (no offense) version. I have used it on a 40#ish stingray and that 4' brown shark and have had no issues. Of course the scale never did work.

^^^^^ rob I used to have that china one too but it didn't last me too long. So I bit the bullet and bought a boga 30. One of the best fishing investments I ever made. At $125-130 they are a little pricey but mine has held up for 3 years now no worries. They really help you to be honest when you are reporting the weight of fish you release. vpass hooks through your finger ouch! Have to try to stay away from that but it does happen. I have seen it happen the most when fishing is good so if you're the guy it happens to you lose out to take the ER trip.

Quote Originally Posted by vpass View Post
    I feel safer using the Boga. also lot less stress on the fish and a quicker release.
    Good point

yes sir lippa-4-life land weighs 3 ounces and boga for boat

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Quote Originally Posted by storminsteve View Post
    ^^^^^ rob I used to have that china one too but it didn't last me too long. So I bit the bullet and bought a boga 30. One of the best fishing investments I ever made. At $125-130 they are a little pricey but mine has held up for 3 years now no worries. They really help you to be honest when you are reporting the weight of fish you release. vpass hooks through your finger ouch! Have to try to stay away from that but it does happen. I have seen it happen the most when fishing is good so if you're the guy it happens to you lose out to take the ER trip.
    SS- I am one cheap sob! LOL! I actually don't care about the weight to be honest. If they have teeth it is automatic they get the lip gripper. If they don't have teeth and I am using a single hook I lip them.

Quote Originally Posted by storminsteve View Post
    At $125-130 they are a little pricey but mine has held up for 3 years now no worries. They really help you to be honest when you are reporting the weight of fish you release. vpass hooks through your finger ouch! Have to try to stay away from that but it does happen. I have seen it happen the most when fishing is good so if you're the guy it happens to you lose out to take the ER trip.
    I have mine maybe 5 years now maybe alittle longer, just don't remember, and it still like new. I do amost no maint. on it.

The ER trip for hook removal was 500 dollars back around 1992. Steve, you right it was all out blitz. through excitment I fumbled and hooked my self with a bomber's treblehook. Then again in 2003 last week Oct. Had a blitz that last a week. The smalliest fish I caught that day maybe 28 inches slipped out of my hands and again a bomber followed it and a treble hook got set passed the barb on my index finger. due to the cold air that morning my fingers were near numb, so I just pushed it thru chrushed the barb and pulled it out. I just wanted to get back to fish. It took a half hour to stop bleeding. I'm still gun shy with plugs and overly cautious . I use the boga when I'm plugging and I remove the hook with pliers almost never touch the fish most times. I'm much braver with bucktails and Jigs will not use the boga unless i wamt to know the weight.

Cool

I use mine always,feel naked without it.
    no doubt it has saved me from them vmc's more than a few times.
    mine is a cheap mustad branded one and it has served me about 8-10 years now.the foam knob on top just tore and I simply ripped it off the end,will replace it with something when I find something that will work.
    my wife has one also and we have 2 more that are new hanging up.
    for 15 smacks across the lips they are well worth it.

R-P
    Takes a Big Man to sling Big Wood,,,,boys sling plastic,,,,,,,

I love my Boga gripper so much. I use the cheap grippers on the kayak because I'm afraid of losing the boga. They work really good too but they don't swivel. The swivel action really helps with angry bluefish. It's also easier to stick the boga grip into a mouth of an angry blue than it is the plastic grippers as they never seem to open their mouth. Time to buy a really good leash.