View Poll Results: Do you crush the hooks on your plugs?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I crush most of my plugs hook's barbs

3 37.50%
  • I crush some of my plugs hook's barbs

2 25.00%
  • I don't crush my plugs hook's barbs

3 37.50%

Thread: Do you crush barbs on hooks?

Default Do you crush barbs on hooks?

Who crushes barbs on there hooks.
    Its been discussed here a bunch, wondering what the ratio is on who actually crushes them to not crushing them.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

every treble all the time

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

You did not have my option- I crush most of my flies barbs- only reason is if stick my self on a cast- I want to be able to pull the hook out, lol! on my plugs- nope I don't crush em down.

I crush every barb on every treble hook on all my plugs. I don't on bucktails, Jigs, and flies. if I could get my hand around the lure and feel safe, I may not crush the barbs

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    Fish seemed to be focused on the Surfstix teasers as the tail hook.

Most of my rear hooks have been changed to singles for ease of release and minimal injury.....

Just a reminder to crush your barbs if you know the fish to be active at night....or if fishing by yourself....
    A few weeks ago, Monty asked me if all the barbs on my hooks were crushed....
    I kind of half-heartedly answered......"Well a lot of them are...."

About a week and half ago...had some bigger blues at night...previously not all my tail hooks had the barbs crushed...
    Before I went out....for some reason I had the foresight to take a few extra minutes with tackle maintainance .......and crushed down a few more barbs on plugs I would be using......

This was fortunate....because one of the first fish I caught was close to 7#. Once hooked it got real angry...tail walking, jumping out of the water like a tarpon.....
    I really should have played that fish a little longer....the bite is limited at that location and I was only thinking of getting the fish released and back on to plugging again....the fish thrashed enough to put a hook through my thumb....
    Once I released the fish, the reality of my situation crept in....

I was far out there.....isolated area...far from any kind of help or assistance....
    Walking back to shore and returning would have taken 15 minutes out of the night's fishing....with the way the tide was that night....
    The feeding window might be over when I got back.....
    (post #38)
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ionary%2Fpage2
    I was grateful I had crushed that barb on the tail siwash....
    Without thinking twice, quickly ripped it back out, the way it came in.....
    It started to bleed a lot....hurt a bit as well....

I was all alone on the flats.....
    Blood dripping from my thumb into the water...
    Some sharks with teeth being caught out that far.....
    I quickly ripped up a bandana I bring along, applied the strip as a tourniquet....band-aids I carry were not enough to stop the bleeding....
    And I went back to fishing.

This is a pic I took of it at home....a few days after it started to heal......peroxide applied daily....

Attachment 18654

Monty wanted me to post a pic of the bloody thumb... at the time, it was a littlle hectic....no time or thoughts for a pic...
    I can't get in the way of Monty's Quest to win Googan of the Year again....
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...the-year-award

Be careful out there, people....
    Especially if you fish isolated areas by yourself at night....like I do.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMGP5656.jpg  

I have tried crushing my barbs 2 different times over 5 years (for a few trips each time).
    Both times I lost a lot more fish to head shakes and initial runs. Tried tighter and looser drag, different hook sets. The line is not slack and the hooks pull out.
    I had some success on some trips, not loosing fish, but the overall results for me (the googan that I am), is to many lost fish. I do carry cutters that cut through hooks easy, if I m having difficulty unhooking a fish, bass or blue, I will cut the hook (I even carry a couple spare hooks on my walks).

Nice thumb Darkskies.....

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    I

1. I had some success on some trips, not loosing fish, but the overall results for me (the googan that I am), is to many lost fish.

2. Nice thumb Darkskies.....

1. I just got off the phone with Bill Wetzel.
    He tells me all the hardcore sharpies at Montauk crush their barbs.
    He also said real men don't need barbs to catch fish.
    Straight from the horse's mouth.

2. If ya don't want to listen to my advice gained from painful experience, that's fine.....but I predict you're gonna be the next one to post a pic of a hooked thumb.

1. I just got off the phone with Bill Wetzel.
    He tells me all the hardcore sharpies at Montauk crush their barbs.
    He also said real men don't need barbs to catch fish.
    Straight from the horse's mouth.

2. If ya don't want to listen to my advice gained from painful experience, that's fine.....but I predict you're gonna be the next one to post a pic of a hooked thumb.
    Aren't you supposed to be sleeping?
    Barbs!!!!
    Anyway, made up my mind, I bury one in my hand or finger I have the tools with me to cut the hook. I don't fish around fences, so they shouldn't complicate things.
    Actually Bill Wetzel crushes his rear hooks. His thought process is that the rear hook provides leverage for big bass to dislodge the front hook, since most bass are hooked on the front hook.

^ Nope, up at 5...most guys would try to get an hour of fishing in.....me????.....I have to go lay tile in 15 minutes.........but had to come on here and throw some of the jabs back at you mooks......

BTW...great ball busting.....keep em coming....and especially on Monty.....he needs some ball-busting to get his head straight...

Anyway, made up my mind, I bury one in my hand or finger I have the tools with me to cut the hook.
    Looking forward to the bloody pics.....

Looking forward to the bloody pics.....
    Going to have to wait until next year unless I sink one at home.....like that will ever happen.

Well since I put the barbs back on my plugs I have landed the last 6 fish I have hooked. That's after loosing 5 in a row that were hooked.
    I like Barbs and Pork!!!

I have tried crushing my barbs 2 different times over 5 years (for a few trips each time).
    Both times I lost a lot more fish to head shakes and initial runs. Tried tighter and looser drag, different hook sets. The line is not slack and the hooks pull out.
    I seem to lose fish when I crush the barbs as well. Some times I do put a single hook on the rear to make unhooking easier. I feel bad when the hook has 2 trebles and the fish gets 2 of them buried in it as it's thrashing around when you're bringing it in. btw what the heck is that reference to pork, please explain

^Aah....you 2 are girly men!
    Just got off the phone with Wetzel, Monty......

He said you're now banished from the "we at Montauk" club for not crushing your barbs.....

To be re-instated.....
    He said you have to go out there in July....in a wetsuit covered in bunker oil.....swim to a rock without being mistaken for a seal snack by a shark.......climb up on a rock......
    And catch at least one 10lb bass....
    With crushed barbs..........

Anyone else want to join the "We at Montauk regulars" club?...
    Bill tells me there is one opening,,,until Monty mans up and fulfills the challenge in the wetsuit....

^Aah....you 2 are girly men!
    Just got off the phone with Wetzel, Monty......

He said you're now banished from the "we at Montauk" club for not crushing your barbs.....
    Wetzel only crushes the barbs on the rear hooks. Never the front ones. The back ones because if they get stuck into the side of the fish the fish has leverage in dislodging the front hook.
    Pretty sure he doesn't crush the front ones is because he DOESN"T WANT TO LOOSE THE FISH!!!
    Next time I see you out there fishing you better have all the barbs on your plugs crushed or I am throwing you and them in the ocean you barb crushing tree hugger!

I don't crush barbs a lot but when there are tons of blues around I do it.