Thread: Spruce run reservoir- an educational post

Default Spruce run reservoir- an educational post

Well the education is purely for me I would suspect. I started the day off right. I woke at 3am. Checked the weather, everything looked promising. In the wee hours of the morning I struggled with the decision on the destination. Should I go to Spruce run.....or Merrill Creek??? Merrill Creek looked promising with an abundant small mouth population and a smaller lake (250 acres) I would easily cover all the ground I wanted to from the yak. There are also trout in the lake- rainbows and browns- that would be nice to catch. Yet, I was really after a larger prey- the Northern Pike.

In the end, my prey convinced me to settle on Spruce run. Now I have fished Spruce run before with the HOW event. I did not really get to fish that much as I was chaperone to a vet. I found the water stained and fishing tuff for what little I did fish and it was a concern as I contemplated my return to this lake.

I arrived at 6:00 to flat, calm waters.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0024.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	18598Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0025.jpg 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	18599Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0026.jpg 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	18600

I met an older gent who was preparing to launch his yak. I asked if he might help me with some insight on where to find pike. He told me it would be tough but my best chances were to go back right of the lake. as we were talking I noticed a lot of activity in the lake to our right. The Gent said , oh those are carp. Hmm, Carp is another species I have never caught. Maybe I will give them a try on the fly. A backstabber fly to be exact.

Carp were jumping everywhere. I tried stalking them but the stained water made it difficult. I stood in the yak and used my paddle to push through the water as silently as I could only to see the puffs in the mud where a Carp was. I would blind cast and re cast to where a fish would jump but my efforts were un rewarded.

The water temp was 80 degrees. The shorelines consisted of mostly rock but some mud/ rock flats were also present. This looked like a mecca for smallmouth bass (another species I have not yet caught) I worked my way around the lake covering maybe 6 miles or so. I met up with the older gent from the launch- he said he was into a half dozen smallies by this particular spot- I went there and came up empty.

I worked my way back towards the launch and met up with another yakker- he said he caught some smallies on a spinner bait right at this point that I met him at. I tried throwing my spinner but not even a bump.

Admittedly I had doubts that the older gent was telling the truth, but after I met the other yakker and he had the same story of catching smallies I started to think about why they caught fish and I did not.

I could rule out that the Spruce Run Reservoir was completely devoid of life, other than the carp. So what was it? Why did I not catch any fish? I came the only conclusion that was reasonable.

I did not have confidence that I would catch fish. I reflected on my attitude the whole time I was on the water. I remember saying to myself- there are no fish in the lake. This place is barren. I had no confidence I could catch anything in this lake and I succeeded in that goal!

In the end, besides the great workout, I learned a valuable lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by robmedina View Post
    I arrived at 6:00 to flat, calm waters.I started to think about why they caught fish and I did not.

I could rule out that the Spruce Run Reservoir was completely devoid of life, other than the carp. So what was it? Why did I not catch any fish? I came the only conclusion that was reasonable.

I did not have confidence that I would catch fish. I reflected on my attitude the whole time I was on the water. I remember saying to myself- there are no fish in the lake. This place is barren. I had no confidence I could catch anything in this lake and I succeeded in that goal!

Great story and narrative even though you didn't catch any fish. I heard spruce run is huge and merrill is smaller so you might have better luck learning merrill.
    Thanks for sharing. Did you know you can't open the video you posted? It's marked as private.

Quote Originally Posted by hookedonbass View Post
    Did you know you can't open the video you posted? It's marked as private.
    Thanks HOB, I set it to private so I could just post it here and not necessarily have it public, but did not realize it would not work. I changed it to public- it really is not an interesting piece at all more of an illustrative clip of the conditions.

Nicely done. Those guys who said they caught the smallmouths, did you ask them what time of day?

Quote Originally Posted by williehookem View Post
    Nicely done. Those guys who said they caught the smallmouths, did you ask them what time of day?
    it was the same time I was there.

Quote Originally Posted by robmedina View Post
    In the end, my prey convinced me to settle on Spruce run. Now I have fished Spruce run before with the HOW event. I did not really get to fish that much as I was chaperone to a vet. I did not have confidence that I would catch fish. I reflected on my attitude the whole time I was on the water.I remember saying to myself- there are no fish in the lake. This place is barren. I had no confidence I could catch anything in this lake and I succeeded in that goal!

Nice job on taking the vet out on the water. I have read about that program online. Good for you and may it bring you good karma.
    As for the confidence part I am fishing places in MA this year that always held fish and they are empty of bass. Others have some fish and are good. Confidence is good but if the fish are not in one area they just might be not there. The fw fishing is different in the summer. Looks like you gave it a good effort. Enjoyed the report keep em coming.

Nicely done and kudos for helping our Veterans.

Nice report. I fish freshwater lakes mostly in LI and sometimes go to the Adirondacks but have never fished Spruce Run. Will have to give it a go sometime.