Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gulp bait favorites does color really matter?

Default gulp bait favorites does color really matter?

I like the white gulp minnow. What is your fav gulp bait color?

I have a lot of success with the 3" new penny shrimp for fluke.

The gulp newpenny shrimp is magic for fluke. I don't bother with killies that much ever since it came out. Shrimp on one hook, squid strip on the other.

New penny shrimp and pearl jerk bait are my favs. and like bababooey said the new penny is deadly for fluke.

Another vote for new penny shrimp. The NY fluke season opens back up again July3, and I'll be trying to catch 100 fish for 1 keeper again.

Your good just a hundred stay out all day you might get 2 keepers.

Default does color matter when using gulp?

I have been using those white gulp shads jigging for fluke. I'm still learning, only a few small ones here and there. But I was wondering does color matter? I mean in the daytime they can see white and chartreuse equally, no? thanks guys.

I like the chartreuse, it seems to stand out better. This is good when you have a few days of rain, or the bottom is a little muddy. Chartreuse seems to me to the the best color that fish will hit underwater, you can't go wrong with it.

clean water=white
    stained or dirty water= chartreuse
    I use them for teasers on bucktail rig for fluke

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

What finchaser said, and they make great teasers as well.

Default Gulp - does Color really matter?

It seems like different areas along the shore guys are partial to different colors of gulp. I read a lot of the raritan bay reports and they say chartreuse and white is good for them. When I fish in south jersey the guys seem to like white and pink. Also off the bridges at night they have been getting some keeper fluke using gulp. My favorite is chartreuse because I was taught that way when I started using it.
    So my question is 2 parts-
    Does color matter for you, what is your favorite?
    Do you think it matters for the water clarity, example lots of folks say raritan bay is dirty so thats why chartreuse works best? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hookedonbass View Post
    My favorite is chartreuse because I was taught that way when I started using it.
    So my question is 2 parts-
    I remember the same thing growing up, these 2 phrases stuck in my head:
    "If it ain't chartreuse, it's no use"
    "You can use any color you like as long as it's chartreuse" I agree that the water clarity prob has a lot to do with it. I don't really know the raritan bay that well but the barnegat bay can get murky some times and I have had better success fluking using chartreuse for some reason. Out on the ocean lumps the water is clean and I like white or pink. Just my .02. someone should do a scientific study to see which color works best.

I think it's the scent that does the trick. The different shapes and styles, and colors, are all money makers for Berkley. I don't use it that often but when I do chartruese is my first pick.

I primarily fish the Raritan Bay and MoCO both by surf and kayak.

I always have white and chartreuse with me along with a few new penny shrimp (got the shrimp idea from Blaze420).

I tend to use chartreuse more in stained water and white in clear water but I always mix it up to see what the fish like better that day. If the snappers are biting the tails off the mullets I use the shrimp.

I treat gulp like bait...in fact over half of my keepers on gulp this year came from just drifting around with the rod in the holder (fishing two rods on the kayak at once). It seems like the less aggressive just drifting off the bottom doesn't attract as many shorts and micro fluke.

Almost done with this stash and then its time to try excite-a-bite.

Jesus that is a gulp mega stash! You went through all that this year? Hope you got some on discount. btw ***** is still having a buy one get one half price sale in case you need to buy more.

Im with ya i have a few colors but i ALWAYS have chartruse,white and the shrimp on me...I will say this year i have 90% of the time caught on white...And a few on the penny shrimp which like you said are great when those damn snappers are chomping at the tails.....I did try the squidos for the 1st time this year i caught with them in the new penny color only thing about the squido is with the longer "tenticles" you got to let the fluke nibble at it longer or else you just pull it right out of there mouth..

Quote Originally Posted by storminsteve View Post
    Jesus that is a gulp mega stash! You went through all that this year? Hope you got some on discount. btw ***** is still having a buy one get one half price sale in case you need to buy more.
    That was two years ago when the D1CKS near Ramsey Outdoors in Paramus ran a buy one get one free so I loaded up on the $35 quarts sized packs. On top of that they accepted the Ramsey Outdoor coupons for $10 off $50 or more with the gulp promo.

They were looking to put that Ramsey store out of business and the Paramus store did close its shop once the lease was up. Foolish to not have a non-compete clause in your lease when your in a small strip mall like that.

Quote Originally Posted by J Barbosa View Post
    They were looking to put that Ramsey store out of business and the Paramus store did close its shop once the lease was up. Foolish to not have a non-compete clause in your lease when your in a small strip mall like that.
    Thats a sad thing to see another small B&T store go out of business. I visited Ramsey outdoors a few times and made some purchases. They were knowledgeable and helpful. Not trying to bash the big box stores, but when you walk into D-I-C-K-S you are more likely to be serviced by a kid who the only thing he knows about the outdoors is that chicks hang on the beach wearing thongs. When you walk into a smaller B&T they seem more geared to service orientatated and actually fish the salt or freshwater. Every time a Cabelas or Basspro or D-I-C-K-S opens we all lose a little if a smaller store closes because of it. Sorry for the rant. Even sorrier that the big box stores practice this kind of cutthroat business. The little guys can't compete.

Quote Originally Posted by Blazin420 View Post
    Im with ya i have a few colors but i ALWAYS have chartruse,white and the shrimp on me...I will say this year i have 90% of the time caught on white.....
    I like white too. What are the squidos you are talking about? do you have a pic

They do work i fished them on a plain jig head and just bounced them in the wash...The tenticles dont last real long if the snappers are around...I believe they are about 6in long..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails squido.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast