Thread: Scientific Angler Mastery textured series fly line

Default Scientific Angler Mastery textured series fly line

I got this line for my florida trip. It is a brother to the infamous sharkskin line that SA puts out. Sharkskin has diamond shape texture which gives it that abrasive feel and sound through the guides. The mastery texture line uses round textured finish that has a dimple pattern similar to a golf ball that has a smoother feel while enhancing casting.

The line has a 42' head. I got the floating line, but for a floater is has a smaller diameter line than traditional floaters. There is still some noise through the guides but it is very low- I actually like hearing the line go through the guide. The line is not rough on the fingers either.

I think I will be replacing all my lines with the textured series. I love it.

I'm trying to understand the differences in fly line. What is the benefit of having line that is abrasive or textured? Wouldn't that offer more resistance on the cast? Also I see it is a floating line. Would you also use that texture for sinking line or no go. Thanks

Me too stormchaser ^^

This is the first time I have even heard of a textured line.

Actually the textured line is designed to be LESS resistant. I think they do make a sinking version but I was fishing the flats and need a floating line.