Thread: Tomorrow target species- Carp.

Default Tomorrow target species- Carp.

Wish me luck- any tips? I plan on hitting a local mud flat that I know has held carp in the past. This will be the first time I am going to this location in about 2-3 years. I have some carp flies- plan on stalking them from the kayak just like one would for redfish or bonefish.

I heard they would take flys...but have never seen it done...it's still pretty challenging to present to them. The overcast conditions should be perfect today......good luck Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by robmedina View Post
    Wish me luck- any tips? .
    Hey Rob I don't know a lot about carp fly fishing. I found this on youtube. Seems pretty awesome to do that. Let us know how you make out and good luck!

Wow that was cool how they stalk them. Just sitting there on the flats. Good luck rob.

well the carp were exactly where I thought they would be. The wind and overcast made it a difficult to fish. I needed bright sun to see the fish. However, I did spot some tailing carp and was able to cast to them. I did pretty good getting the fly to the fish but they wouldn't take. I did spook a couple which is fine- it's all part of the game.
    In the end I did not catch any but had a great time stalking my prey, finding them where I thought they would be, casting to them and presenting right to them. The only thing I missed was an actual catch, lol!
    It was great experience. I also saw a small fox combing the shoreline for food and quite a few herons and a kingfisher. pretty cool morning.

I've spent a lot of time sight fishing for carp from above them in 1/2ft to 2ft of water. My observations are that they usually key in on the bottom like you see in the videos posted above. General consensus is that they are rooting for insects or worms. I've noticed they like to suck everything in and spit it back out sometimes several times before they commit to eating it. We experience this a lot when we use bread balls to catch them (almost too easy).

They tend to spook easily when the water is that shallow. Worst of all if there is 10 carp in that area all it takes is one to spook and they all dart away.

My suggestion for next time is a long and light leader. We usually use 4-6lb mono but I've caught plenty on 20lb mono. The key is to use a light hook so they can suck it up effortlessly.

Nice job and report rob thanks for sharing.