Thread: Hats off to TD bank!

Default Hats off to TD bank!

So last week I had to go back down to florida to get my truck. My buddy mike was supposed to go with me but bailed last minute. So I decided to turn the rental car in up here in nj and fly down.
    I look up flights and find one for the next day through priceline. I put my cc info in and hit purchase and nothing happens.
    I call priceline and they say there isnt any transactions for my name. I told my wife that I think that I just put my cc in a scam website.
    She says no way. Youre being paranoid yadda yadda yafda.
    Well last night the crooks tried charging several thousand dollars worth of stuff but TD bank flagged each one as suspicious and froze my card.
    They said it will take a few days for it to all get worked out but no money will be lost.

Great job TD bank!!!!

Priceline is a legit company so you must have got redirected by an ad or mistyped the address.

You are definitely having some bad luck recently.

I revoke any prior invitation to come kayaking with us...at least until your luck changes.

Tell your wife to increase the life insurance policy on you before you go down to Florida and maybe avoid airplanes for a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by J Barbosa View Post
    You are definitely having some bad luck recently.

I revoke any prior invitation to come kayaking with us...at least until your luck changes.
    Poor Rob...your life is starting to mirror Charlie Brown's.
    I really do feel for ya every time another crisis develops....

Look at the bright side....ya don't miss much by not kayaking with JB...he's a little odd... ...known to get pleasure from horseshoe crabs trying to mate with his bare feet......(post 11)
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...shoe-crabs-yet

If it seems like we bust on ya a lot here...we wouldn't do it if we didn't care....
    Glad this worked out for ya.......

Default How to avoid Internet Scams

While we're on the subject of the internet.....

How to avoid Internet Scams

1. Spoof sites....

There are many sites that "spoof" legitimate sites....
    for example....if you wanted to go to www.tdbank.com

If you were somehow directed to "www.tdbank.au.com"
    It's not the same site....though at first glance it may look the same....
    This is how those scammers get to many of us....
    They prey on the familiarity, and purposely set up names that may appear similar to the ones we want to go to.

I have to deal with scammers and spammers who try to join this site every day....it has become second nature to me, to learn to recognize the signs....

2. Pop up Window Scams offering free Virus Checks, etc...

A. Many have the ability to set software switches to Dis-allow Pop-ups...which is probably preferred...
    B. However, sometimes pop-ups are connected with the content you want to view.....
    C. When you get an unwanted Pop-up.....it will often give you an option to say "No". This often happens with a claim that your computer is infected, and there is a free anti-virus program or scan that is being offered......be very aware of these.....they are dangerous...
    D. Don't choose that option.....because it's a trap either way...
    E. When you run into something like that....simply press your "Control, Alt, and Delete" buttons simultaneously, which will bring up your Task Manager.
    F. When that opens up, choose "End Program" and end the program or pop-up that way....
    You will save yourself a lot of grief...
    G. If you follow this advice, and can learn from Rob's misfortune...you will thank us in the long run.....

**Many of these scammers are out to do you or your computer serious harm..
    Most folks are not prepared to do registry search and removal tasks for the various insidious programs and viruses out there.....
    They can be quite harmful....even something like a browser re-direct or similar hijack....

3. E-mail Scams...

Last but not least, NEVER open e-mail from someone unknown to you.....mine goes straight to the spam file....if it doesn't it gets deleted immediately...
    The latest is where these scammers will hijack the e-mail of someone you know...on your e-mail list...
    You get a seemingly innocuous e-mail from them...with no text...just a link which they want you to click on.....
    Don't click on the link....
    And if possible, notify the person it came from, that their e-mail list has been hijacked.....

**Learn to recognize some of the above for the traps they are, and future major headaches they could be for you.....
    And avoid all of them, when possible...

Thanks for sharing your experience, Rob....
    You probably helped countless others today, by doing so.......
    I'm so very glad it worked out for ya....and thanks to TD Bank and their diligence as well......

If anyone wants to offer advice about other scams here....feel free....

Thank you for posting that gents. I was on a similar web site and didn't know it. Lucky my bank caught it in time. They did the same thing with the phone call notification because the purchases were red flagged. I have also been victimized by that pop up window scam. Cost me $200 to have my PC cleaned and re-formatted. I never knew you could get rid of it with the task manager. I am always getting helpful information here. Thank you kindly.

Wow I thought that was giod luck.....

I thought so too but its summer and the fishing has been slow. Guess teasing rob was the order of the day.
    No worries I have enjoyed your reports and harrowing escapes from death. If you ever venture up to nomoco I would not be afraid to fish with you.

^^^^^^lol thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by robmedina View Post
    Wow I thought that was giod luck.....
    Lol, glass half full kind of thinking!!!

Getting your credit card stolen falls under bad luck in my book.

Don't feel bad credit card theft is pretty common. I had a CC stolen that I never used online and it barley had any use (backup card). Visa caught it and froze it when they tried to ship something to California.