I had the chance to meet Robin Williams back around 1981. I was in a small bodega store in upper Manhattan. He came in to pick up a few things. I waited until he was done, and on the way out. I went up and introduced myself. I said I admired his work and shook his hand.

Some others said they were not aware of his depression, or alcohol and drug struggles. Neither was I.
Alcohol and drugs can be hidden, until they eventually manifest themselves in greater problems in our lives when excesses cause illness, legal troubles, or death.
Depression is even more easy to hide.
Someone asks "How are you?"
The answer is always "Fine", "OK"

Those with depression tend not to talk about it, and hide it well.
IMO those are the people who end up dead. I'm not judging here, as this is exactly what happened to one of my relatives, who killed himself. I still miss him and the few times we went fishing together. I still wish he did not kill himself.

Quote Originally Posted by surfstix1963 View Post
Mixing alcohol and anti-depressants put him over the edge,very dangerous disease depression.
You said it well, Rich.
Some of us may never know depression. If so.....you are lucky.
Some of us battle with it throughout our lives. It comes and goes like a Summer or Winter fog, bringing sadness and a feeling of being stuck, or paralyzed.
I have struggled with depression at various stages of my life, and still struggle with it.

Some of the things I have learned, is that to survive, we have to talk about it...with others we trust.
Therapy is helpful.
Trying to keep busy can also help one to get over the low spots.
Isolation is definitely not helpful.
Sometimes it's also helpful to join a 12 step group that might be related to our issue, or help us deal with those around us, who are going through this.

It can take all the energy out of you, all desires to move forward, and sap any positive strength away....... like being encased in ice, in a frozen lake.
I personally know what this is like.

My deepest condolences and sympathies for the family and friends of Robin Williams.
Even more of a regret, that for some reason, he felt his problems were too great to overcome. RIP, and may God watch over his family and those of us who are still here, struggling with this illness.