Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NJ Fishing Reports for Sept 2014...www.StripersAndAnglers.com

Default NJ Fishing Reports for Sept 2014...www.StripersAndAnglers.com

NJ Fishing Reports for September 2014.....www.StripersAndAnglers.com

**Important when registering on our site -- use an active email address so you can activate your account to be able to post. If you began to register and can't post, check your spam folder for your activation instructions.

Please post fishing reports here.......as little or as much detail as you want to give.

Since Sandy and the rebuilding/Beach replenishment, a substantial amount of Fishing Access has been lost. The ones who want to fish, are now crowded into less places, particularly the popular ones.
    Please use common sense, when describing where you were fishing.

1. Fishing an area that is NOT residential? Being vague is less critical. For example, (Any)Park, or (Any)Bay, or mention a specific state park that has loads of parking and can handle the crowds.

2. For some areas, it would be wiser to say:
    Out Front (Ocean) OR -- Out Back (Bay) -- if you feel too many people will figure out what you are talking about. Remember that thousands of people could potentially read these posts. You don't want to be fishing next to ALL of them at the same time

3. If I name this place on the internet, will it be too crowded for me to enjoy tomorrow when people hear I got 30 fish there today?
    If the answer is "Yes", then you should probably not be so specific.
    More discussion on this:
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ead.php?t=3763

**If you have any
    additional details you would like to share - weather conditions, tide (incoming, outgoing, ebb, flood) water temps, wind, bait present, or other mention of techniques or bait/plugs used - feel free.
    Thanks, and good luck.

Some acronyms -

SH - Sandy Hook
    NoMoCo - Northern Monmouth County (below the Hook to Shark River Inlet SRI)
    SoMoCo - Southern Monmouth County (below SRI to Manasquan Inlet)
    OC - Ocean County

IBSP - Island Beach State Park
    LBI - Long Beach Island
    AC - Atlantic County
    CMC - Cape May County

RB - Raritan Bay
    BB - Barnegat Bay
    CB - Chesapeake Bay
    DB - Delaware Bay

Mecca.....Montauk

August recap and some observations going forward -

1. Mullet run may be early
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ker-tips/page2

Early fall run?

2. Some interesting things happening on the back bay bait build-up
    (post 33)
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...he-water/page2

September can mean different things to different people.

a. It can mean a month where some folks post the same yearly questions on internet message boards, asking...... "When will the fall run begin? Are the bass here yet?"
    b. Or it can mean a month where some of the people who love fishing, for the sake of fishing....and are happy fishing in the dark, even if it's just bigger bluefish....are out there at night, putting their time in.....scouting the inlets, back bays, rivers, creek mouths, and harbors for those rare opportunities..... when it all comes together, in the deep privacy of the night....long before the fish move out to the ocean and start their televised and well-announced Fall Migration.

The type of fisherman you are, and the fish you will catch, depends on which of the above statements you personally identify with.
    All I know is...I can't catch fish, when I'm sitting on a couch....
    Best of luck to all......

I can't wait till tuesday. All the vacationers and bennies will be home and we will have the beaches back.

storminsteve - technically anyone who crosses a bridge to go fishing is a benny. So unless you live in Point, Toms River, or the bayshore, you would be a benny too. Just saying.

Oh, fishing report. Snap, almost forgot. I fished the park today. 2 short fluke in the wash. Not that much fun, some weeds still around and there were big swells. The swells were a lot worse than yesterday when I fished and got nothing but wet. Sucked. Should you be thinking of fishing the park this weekend realize that about 10,000 other fair weather fishermen will be heading down here too. Most of them will have 4-5 rods in front of them but will not be fishing. I agree with Steve's point that after Tuesday it will be a lot less hassles to find some good fishing. You have been warned.

Fished moco this morning in the white water. As fishingmission was alluding to the surf has calmed down a lot though there is some chop out there. Managed one short bass on bucktail and gulp and one micro fluke. Wishing everyone a great holiday weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by fishinmission78 View Post
    storminsteve - technically anyone who crosses a bridge to go fishing is a benny. So unless you live in Point, Toms River, or the bayshore, you would be a benny too. Just saying.
    I agree. It's like arguing who is native to America, those of European or Spanish descent. We're immigrants to America unless you were born and descended from the Eskimos or Indian tribes.

^^^^ The definition used to be that if you were born anywhere else but in Point or Manahawkin hospital you were a benny. Guess that has changed now, idk.

Hey we were all bennies at one time unless you never moved from the house you were born in.
    took a ride to the ocean today didn't have my rod. The surf doesn't look that bad.

2 dozen crabs today...action was slow.

^^^ Someone said after the new or full moon it slows down. We are about a week away from that so does that make any difference when you go out crabbing or did you ever pay attention to that. thanks.
    I fished the surf in moco today. 6-7:30am incoming tide. The waves aren't bad. Started near MB but it is a whole span of dirty water from the dredging. Moved further south to get away from that. Got one stargazer on bucktail with gulp. The water looks real fishy.

Quote Originally Posted by hookset View Post
    The water looks real fishy.
    Yessir but someone may have forgotten to tell the fish.
    This has been the worst august I can remember in quite awhile. The water temperatures in the ocean have not been that bad. I remember one year the medium and larger bluefish showed up in august for a week in ocean county near the MI. Does anyone else remember that? Even with warmer water of this week we should have had triggers near the inlets and banded rudderfish and jacks from sandy hook to island beach. No one I know has caught any of those species from the surf yet. A strange year indeed. My fish to hours fished ratio is very poor for this year. Hoping for a better september.

Quote Originally Posted by hookset View Post
    ^^^ Someone said after the new or full moon it slows down. We are about a week away from that so does that make any difference when you go out crabbing or did you ever pay attention to that. thanks.
    Never paid attention; we never really needed to. We usually only keep 2-3 dozen for us unless we are having company over. We haven't been able to be selective on some days...usually prefer to only keep 5"+. My dad says this is the worst year for crabbing he has ever experienced in the RB. He's been doing it for 35 years now.

Guys in the northern rivers are complaining there are no crabs there also...seems to be a decent amount in the southern/central part of the state.

JB thats strange. Do you think because we had a cold winter and more of the crabs died while hibernating in the mud? But if that was true it should have happened through the whole state, no?

Got a mess o croakers tonight in between the rain. Best time was close to high tide and one hour after. Best bait was fresh clams.

Quote Originally Posted by ledhead36 View Post
    Got a mess o croakers tonight in between the rain. Best time was close to high tide and one hour after. Best bait was fresh clams.
    Nice.

Going to give it a try if I can get out one night this week.

Changed it up this morning and went south...around 7am saw what I am pretty sure was Albies on spearing but they never came close enough to throw at them. Got my gulp and soft plastics torn up by big snappers.

More fluke around but it's certainly slow for September...no keepers.

blame the beach replenishment?

Quote Originally Posted by J Barbosa View Post
    More fluke around but it's certainly slow for September...no keepers.

blame the beach replenishment?
    Has anyone been around the monmouth beach to long branch stretch lately? The sand they are pumping is dark brown. Looks like a cross between cocoa puffs and a bad case of diarrhea. Where is it coming from?

Thanks jb.
    jf some of that sand is coming from the bottom of the shrewsbury and the back side of sandy hook. It's sand mixed with river mud etc.
    I wonder how come they're not testing that for contaminants. There has to be some kind of heavy metals buried in the muck over the years there. I would think the EPA should have to test it first. How come the ACOE gets away with things like this?
    There are at least 2 dredgers in the river every night sucking up that stuff. This may sound stupid but I thought they were done with the replenishment at mb? I guess they will never be done.

Well the ocean looks like a lake today. Guys who were looking for calm water got their wish. But where are the fish? I took a ride along ocean city yesterday and didn't see any birds working or bait busting.

Fished moco for 2 hours of the incoming tide this morning. Picked up 2 short bass on bucktail and grub and one short fluke.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast