Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: NJ Fishing Reports for Sept 2014...www.StripersAndAnglers.com

Nice job on the bass BH!

Got out today for a bit of a marathon trip...Started out at 6am in MoCo on some rocks focusing on trying to catch some stripes...Hit my favorite rock pile first and there was a bit of weed on the S side and couldnt find a spot i liked on the N side so i moved to another jetty..Much cleaner there but couldnt seem to find any bass did manage 6 fluke 14-16in from 6-9am..And shockingly none came on GULP..3 on 1 of my sandeel teasers and 3 on white Zooms...Action slowed and i decided to move N into NoMoCo and start looking for some bigger fluke..Stopped for some breakfast and a java...Got back to fishing by 10...Walked alot and casted my way to my most recent spot for a keeper...Setup there for the rest of the day from 11-6pm..Bite was good on the incoming and slowed at slack but picked back up when it started moving again..From 11-6pm i landed 22 fluke from 13-17.5in...Most were in the 14-16in range but did have 4 that i looked at closer between 17-17.5..also managed 1 double on a GULP/BT Gulp setup thought for sure it was a keeper..15in on the teaser and the 17.5 on the BT...Missed a few,dropped a few,got an even better tan and enjoyed a great beach day with NO CROWDS ..From after Labor day on is my favorite time of year .....
    Also had a bunch of robins which since this trip have been non exsistent for me ...Had 1 fish on in the wash that NAILED the rig and made some drag pull and then spit the hook...Never saw it but i was telling myself it was a big robin...Hope it wasnt a big flattie Total for the day was 28 fluke..

^^^^^ Wow 28 fluke what an awesome day that was blazin! I feel the same way after Labor Day fishing rules whether you catch or not!
    Too bad no keeps for you still sounds like you had a barrel of fun. Hey how was the water temperature today? Would you say its still warm or starting to cool down? And did you see or catch any hickory shad? thanks and congrats.

Quote Originally Posted by cowherder View Post
    ^^^^^ Wow 28 fluke what an awesome day that was blazin! I feel the same way after Labor Day fishing rules whether you catch or not!
    Too bad no keeps for you still sounds like you had a barrel of fun. Hey how was the water temperature today? Would you say its still warm or starting to cool down? And did you see or catch any hickory shad? thanks and congrats.
    Thanks CH! Water didnt seem much cooler than last week..Id say about the same maybe in the 74-75 range but it was gin clear...And with how hot it was yesterday i had to take a swim...No hickorys lots of spearing/snappers in the wash...I did get REAL excited twice when i saw some splashes out far and they moved quick was thinking Albiesbut never got close enuff for me to see...I may head out to the rocks tonight looking for that striper

Nice going blazin. 2 more short bass this morning, around sunrise. Bucktail and grub, moco.

Good to hear there are some bass around fellas. The back has been hit and miss. Haven't seen or heard of bass in weeks. Last night we picked away at croakers. I didn't want to sit out there till high tide at 2:30am so we cashed in our chips early. Got a few but it wasn't that great. What a difference from last year.

Nice to see you picking at those bass still BH...Got out last night and worked some jettys looking for some bass...Fished from 730-1130 all i could find was 1 small blue about 3lbs that destroyed my Zoom right next to the jetty...Water was like a lake out there with basically no wind at all...Was glad i didnt hit another spot ive been fishing cause with NO WIND the bugs there will eat you alive!

Nice going blazin you are really putting in your time. I fished somoco for a change this morning. Ocean was like a lake. Fishing for bass -Got the skunk. We need a bit more chop. Monty please pray for some white water in new jersey.

Went fluke fishing in the park this morning before work it was good to be back sans tourists. Picked up 3 short and almost legal fluke with chartreuse gulp and teaser. The ocean was a little too flat as bucket mentioned and there were some bugs. I like NE and NW winds the best conditions here.

Quote Originally Posted by buckethead View Post
    Monty please pray for some white water in new jersey.
    Thanks for the conditions report buckethead. I think finchaser said that monty has abandoned nj and now only fishes montauk. Miss your nj reports monty!

Fished yesterday from 3 to 9:30pm.

First spot out front...no signs of bait but that south wind was blowing pretty good. No sign of the snappers either so the goop was safe. Picked at some short fluke and snapped off one of my bucktails on a cast...got mad and left. Plenty of eye candy still left on the beach; never should have left this spot.

Spot #2...Lots of good sized spearing and big snappers chasing them but couldn't even raise one fluke in the channel or the flats.

Spot #3...after dark trying to get a bass or bluefish but all I found were more spearing and an all out snapper blitz.

What's missing from this picture?

Quote Originally Posted by buckethead View Post
    Nice going blazin you are really putting in your time. I fished somoco for a change this morning. Ocean was like a lake. Fishing for bass -Got the skunk. We need a bit more chop. Monty please pray for some white water in new jersey.

Not much white water this year. Least on LI there seems to be some most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by cowherder View Post
    Thanks for the conditions report buckethead. I think finchaser said that monty has abandoned nj and now only fishes montauk. Miss your nj reports monty!

The more I fish LI the less I miss fishing the broken jettys that I loved fishing in Jersey.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Yeah monty kind of miss your jerzey reports as well. You know what they say a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. Tight lines.
    jb whats missing from that pic? looks pretty clear and I cant see bait in there. There should be a few pieces there. Am I right?

Quote Originally Posted by jigfreak View Post
    Yeah monty kind of miss your jerzey reports as well. You know what they say a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. Tight lines.
    jb whats missing from that pic? looks pretty clear and I cant see bait in there. There should be a few pieces there. Am I right?

I am enjoying the LI trips more and more as I start learning the different areas.
    Really is some great water with structure that attracts fish. Incredible water, fun to fish.
    I will always say I loved fishing all the jersey broken jettys, was fun going from one to another.
    If they didn't have that replenishment I would still be fishing them, would be great spending a couple of those hours I spend driving instead throwing plugs from the sand.
    But like you said "a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do".

JB, I see the crabs on the pilings. Whats missing?
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Missing a net to scoop them up and a third crab on the middle piling.

Hey when is the jb crab fest or did you decide to bag it and eat all the crabs yourself?
    Bad night fishing in the back in OC. Water was warm and bait jumping all over. targeting weakies couldn't find one. did find some small blues they bit my pink zooms to shreds. Lots of these little buggers around right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    But like you said "a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do".
    Amen, dude.

I got out last night in search of the striped ones again..Worked a long stretch of sand in NoMoCo and threw it all...1st time in a while i came up completely empty...Not a tap..Im sure if i had tossed some GULP or worked the bottom some more i may have found a fluke or 2 but that was not what i was looking for...Fished from 730-1130 water was still a bit to calm for me..Light breeze was nice but we need a wind change to NNE or NW to get a bump in the water which looks like it may happen Mon-Tues...(MONTY bring us some white water PLEASE!!!!!!!)..Hopefully soon the water temps will drop a little and get some fish in the zone...Still have not heard much about weakies..I hope they show up this year like the past few..

Hey guys you can't catch them from the couch, right?
    Fished ocean city area this morning. I think I missed the bite. Fished from 9-10:30 and caught one kingfish on bloods. It was nice to be on a beach with hardly any people though.

Island beach this morning, incoming tide. Used a combo of small dead snappers. When I ran out of them I used gulp on bottom and top. Jerk shad to keep the tail biting to a minimum. Picked up 17 fluke and 2 keepers. Pretty decent action tho it did slow down close to high tide.

Nice job fishinmission.

I had too much coffee yesterday and couldn't get to sleep. Went out late last night with the 5wt fly rod and some small spearing flies I tied. Wind was not as bad as they predicted and I managed to hide from it anyway.

Decent action under the lights but not as effective as using a snapper popper for sure. So much spearing everywhere I looked but only a few signs of mullet or peanuts though.

Was hoping for some kind of bass or bluefish surprise but it never happened.

Met up with my dad and brother this morning to do some crabbing and it was the best crabbing we have seen all year...I managed to scoop 3 soft shell and 5 hard crabs from one downed tree alone. Filled a 5 gallon bucket of 5"+ crabs in a few hours. Cleaned a bunch of them up and stuck them in the freezer for the winter.

Going to try to get some sleep and head out in the AM for some fluke.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast