Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surfcasters and Boaters, Same old Battles

Default Surfcasters and Boaters, Same old Battles

I started this thread to try to quell some of the mis-perceptions surfcasters and boaters have about each other. You can rant, rave, yell, scream here within reason, either with or without an agenda, but please keep the insults to a minimum so I don't have to edit.

Just put out your rants, OR raves, and hopefully someone who can relate to it will address it. Maybe we can all come to an understanding that the true reason we are out there is that we all love fishing.

Maybe not, : but it's something that needed to be addressed, and I wanted to give it a shot.

If a guy is surfcasting a jetty first, and a boater sees he's into fish, the boater should give him courtesy and go to another jetty. yeah right.:

The boaters have the ability to go all over, but us surfcasters can only go so far on the beach. The boaters should move out further.

"Bunker makes everyone a bass fisherman."
    "Surfcasters have it easy. How hard is it to go to a beach, open a chair, and chuck clams?"

Can't tell you how many times I have heard this from people who have no idea what they are talking about.

You're probably the guy on the boat who drinks the beers, while everyone else does the work.

seamonkey, bad karma for the drunk boaters Many times I have been fishing a rocky or sandy point, and drunk boaters almost crash the shore.

Quote Originally Posted by cowherder View Post
    "Bunker makes everyone a bass fisherman."
    "Surfcasters have it easy. How hard is it to go to a beach, open a chair, and chuck clams?"

Can't tell you how many times I have heard this from people who have no idea what they are talking about.

Right you are, man. So many times this spring I was livelining bunker from shore, so sure I would hook up, and nothing. Ain't always as easy as people think it is.

pinhead44 Guest

How about the boaters who violate no wake zones because you're the only one fishing the point, or the inlet, and you don't matter to them.

Quote Originally Posted by pinhead44 View Post
    How about the boaters who violate no wake zones because you're the only one fishing the point, or the inlet, and you don't matter to them.
    Had that happen to me this weekend. Some guy came so close to shore at high speed, the waves almost washed my gear out to the water. If the Coast guard isn't around, not much you can do. Have to remember to bring some extra 6 oz sinkers next time.

What about the boaters who can't navigate and end up on the beach at Sandy Hook?

How about the boaters who are the guide boats with the paid guides. They see you catching fish on a set of rocks or an inlet, and come in to crowd out your action. Is it fair if you were there first that they can try to push you out?

No, its not fair.
    Its also inconsiderate of the boaters when they pass within casting distance of the shore.
    Fishing by myself last Sunday morning 9:30 bayside, just landed 2 bass 30" and 32", released and a boat pulls into area where I hooked last fish. There is no one else in sight (boat or fisherman) and this one guy in a boat pulls this. Instances like this and the constant boat traffic within casting distance has skewed my opinion on boat fisherman.

Quote Originally Posted by albiealert View Post
    How about the boaters who are the guide boats with the paid guides. They see you catching fish on a set of rocks or an inlet, and come in to crowd out your action. Is it fair if you were there first that they can try to push you out?
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

That's when you bring a few old sinkers with you. A few words of reason with the guy, try that one first. If that doessn't get you anywhere, one goes across the bow.

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    That's when you bring a few old sinkers with you. A few words of reason with the guy, try that one first. If that doessn't get you anywhere, one goes across the bow.
    You could really hurt a guy with a sinker, maybe end up in jail over it. But, if at first you try to talk it out, and he tells you to go eff yourself.....maybe he needs gelcoat sinker practice

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    No, its not fair.
    Its also inconsiderate of the boaters when they pass within casting distance of the shore.
    Fishing by myself last Sunday morning 9:30 bayside, just landed 2 bass 30" and 32", released and a boat pulls into area where I hooked last fish. There is no one else in sight (boat or fisherman) and this one guy in a boat pulls this. Instances like this and the constant boat traffic within casting distance has skewed my opinion on boat fisherman.

They have the whole ocean and can fish 10 places to our one. Getting mugged by a boat is worse than getting mugged from the surf.

Quote Originally Posted by cowherder View Post
    They have the whole ocean and can fish 10 places to our one. Getting mugged by a boat is worse than getting mugged from the surf.
    What if you're on a boat into some nice fish, and a guy mugs you with his boat? You can find idiots everywhere if you look long enough.

Maybe this is too simple, but a rule I try to follow is this - whoever gets there first should have prime choice, boat guy, surf guy, or bait guy. That doesn't mean it's cool to take over the whole spot if space is limited.

A lot of this stuff could be solved by better communication. Sometimes the only thing that stands between a great night fishing and an argument are a few respectful words of courtesy. I was trying to fish a small key spot a while ago. When I got there a few guys were set up in the zone. I asked them how much room they thought they needed, and they said it was cool to fish near them, no problem. I still set up away from them, and moved over onlt when it got crowded and other people started tangling up with us. I didn't realize that I knew that guy from another site until I started talking to them for a bit.

Small world out there, pays to be respectful, treat others like you would want to be treated. The problem is that realistically, there seem to be less guys that go about it this way than there are guys who will walk all over you.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    Small world out there, pays to be respectful, treat others like you would want to be treated. The problem is that realistically, there seem to be less guys that go about it this way than there are guys who will walk all over you.
    Dark, The surf guys can usually work this out. I rarely have trouble and will usually go out of my way to make room for a newcomer; her, were gonna end up talking if our lines keep getting crossed, why not try to get ahead of the curve and manage it up front. Boater's are another thing. I've seen some very brazen actions, especially on the part of PB's. I try not to get too excited about it. I'm a believer in karma. That and fishing at dark....

I saw a concentration of boats off the Ortley/Lavalette area yesterday like I have never seen. It looked like the 4th of July when the boats all gather in the Harbor. I hope this isn't spot burning, as I didn't see any of the boats catching anything but bunker. Here's a quote a guy posted on another site. I agree with him 110%!

"then some tool drove right through the school and broke up the action.

Thanks for that!

It amazes me how many guys go flying through fishing areas...right next to boats - making huge wakes etc.

a little common courtesy goes a long way...

otherwise you are just another jacka$$ in a boat."

^That's nothng, you should see how it gets at Montauk in the fall, boats right up to the beach making the same casts as the surfcasters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast