Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Time to speak up or shut up on Bass - ASMFC Sept Meetings

I sent an e-mail. Also told them that status quo is what they have been doing and it is not working. thanks fellas.

Quote Originally Posted by SharkHart View Post
    in the last 2 days many NJ charter and Party boats in what appears to be a coordinated mission took to facebook, asking their loyal customers to write asking for favorable to keeping options or status quo. Write your letters please
    Sent one as well. They need to hear from us gents. Keep those e-mails coming.

in the last 2 days many NJ charter and Party boats in what appears to be a coordinated mission took to facebook, asking their loyal customers to write asking for favorable to keeping options or status quo. Write your letters please
    Honestly, what shocked me the most at the last ASFMC meeting was the lack of people there who have financial interests in the striped bass fishery.

Two shop owners and two party boat captains from what I could tell/recognize.

Dave from Reel Seat
    John from Betty & Nicks
    David from Queen Mary
    Bogan from Gambler

I thought there would be more people who cared about which way the regulations go (weather they want 2 fish or 1 fish...).

^^^^^That's all that went? You would think tackle shops and party boats have the most to lose. What about the Charter Captains where were they?

Seamonkey and John...., Some have described the turnouts statewide as "encouraging". I'm known for my candid opinions and would never say that. The usual public attendance for many fisheries management meetings is disappointing. Here, with the most historic cuts proposed in the last 10 years, which could significantly affect the income of Charter and Party Boats and their futures, there was relatively little attendance by them, and the Recs.....

It's puzzling why so little are participating, especially when they have so much to lose....You almost wonder if there haven't already been back room meetings where deals have been made as to provide a specific outcome for the Party and Charter boats.....

That's one of the reasons, why, against my better judgement I voted for B7. I would much more prefer a 1 fish at 28" limit which the RFA is currently lobbying for. This fishery is in far greater trouble than most folks realize. I strongly believe that current biomass figures are optimistic. We are harvesting them faster than they can reproduce....this is the very definition of "overfishing".
    So while they are not "overfished" on paper, I contend it's quite possible that they are....fisheries managers, and a small % of Charter and Party Boat Capts... don't want to admit it.....but the proposed cuts tell of a far more drastic reality then is being stated.

However, I don't want to see anyone go out of business, and that includes the Charter Capts and folks who I have been battling on the internet. That's why we all tried to come together to find a solution that might work for everyone.

That, people, whether you like it or not...is how things get done with the political process....and why we sometimes have to compromise and get half of what we want...if we are to get anything at all......

What is....
    Tom Fote's Position on the Striped bass and Commercial Quotas..

Someone at the meeting said that Tom Fote would be voting for Status Quo, when he votes at the official meeting slated in October.
    As I understand it.....
    There are 3 Commissioners statewide representing NJ...
    http://www.asmfc.org/about-us/commissioners
    Dave Chanda
    Tom Fote
    Assemblyman Sgt. Robert Andrzejczak

and Adam Nowalski, (representing the Recreational fishermen)

Mr Fote's comments, to the best of my recollection, during the meeting led us to believe he may be voting for Status Quo.
    When I asked him directly how he would be voting, he would not answer that question on the record.
    I can't predict how he will vote, but here are some of his comments......

"1. EEZ Zone - Sometimes the fish are in the EEZ, which makes it an underutilized quota for states like North Carolina.
    2. Commercial Quota transfer - Commercial Quotas should be allowed to be transferred from State to State..Therefore, a state like Maryland should get North Carolina's commercial quota....."

I can't draw conclusions of conflict of interest from the statements above. Only Mr Fote can explain what he means exactly by the above statements. As many folks know, the EEZ was established by President Bush. Bass cannot be taken, either for harvest or C&R.
    I feel strongly that it should continue this way. It's the only break bass get from the Coast-wide hammering they get during the season.

There are some out there who continue to advocate opening up the EEZ, or want regs relaxed. Whenever I hear someone talking about harvest, and EEZ, in the same sentence, it appears to me that they are not thinking about the long-term health of this fishery.

However, this is enough for me to consider that Mr Fote may again vote for Status Quo, as he has done in the past.

Therefore, it's important for all folks reading this, to get off their butts, and spend a few minutes sending a simple e-mail to Mike Waine, as suggested in this thread....Comment period ends Sept 30, people...please send those e-mails simply stating what choice you support and why.
    It would only take a few minutes, and posting the address here makes it very easy to do.....
    mwaine@asmfc.org

Thanks for reading......

He's more useless now and a bigger threat to the fishery then when he was with the JCAA

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

I sent another one talking about how status quo is a fail. Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    I can't predict how he will vote, but here are some of his comments......

"1. EEZ Zone - Sometimes the fish are in the EEZ, which makes it an underutilized quota for states like North Carolina.
    2. Commercial Quota transfer - Commercial Quotas should be allowed to be transferred from State to State..Therefore, a state like Maryland should get North Carolina's commercial quota....."

I can't draw conclusions of conflict of interest from the statements above. Only Mr Fote can explain what he means exactly by the above statements. As many folks know, the EEZ was established by President Bush. Bass cannot be taken, either for harvest or C&R.
    I feel strongly that it should continue this way. It's the only break bass get from the Coast-wide hammering they get during the season.

There are some out there who continue to advocate opening up the EEZ, or want regs relaxed. Whenever I hear someone talking about harvest, and EEZ, in the same sentence, it appears to me that they are not thinking about the long-term health of this fishery.
    Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    He's more useless now and a bigger threat to the fishery then when he was with the JCAA

It almost sounds like this guy Fote is all for the commercial fishermen?

^ Yes Steve, to some sane folks reading the comments and behavior it might seem that way. I've met the man, and JB and I tried to have a reasonable discussion with him. His knowledge of the past fishery's problems is impressive, and he can dance around subjects like the best of politicians.
    From my perspective, he seems to be out of touch with what is happening right here, right now.

I wanted other folks out there to make their own assessments without being influenced by mine.
    I encourage all those out there who want to learn, to review Mr Fote's past comments and develop your own opinion whether he represents the views and experiences of most fishermen out there.

Thanks for reading.

in the last 2 days many NJ charter and Party boats in what appears to be a coordinated mission took to facebook, asking their loyal customers to write asking for favorable to keeping options or status quo.
    Write your letters please
    Thanks Shark....Keeping things at status quo is not sustainable and will result in the eventual shut-down in this fishery. Should that happen, the selfish ones trying to manipulate this push will just fish for another species, but the rest of us will be out of luck and time.

Please remember that tomorrow is the last day to submit your e-mails to the ASMFC's Mike Waine.

mwaine@asmfc.org

How you can get involved and weigh in with your choice for the new regulations........
    (Today is the last day....)

Send e-mail to:
    Mike Waine at the ASMFC
    mwaine@asmfc.org
    Subject line: Draft Addendum IV.

E mails have to be in by Sept 30, 2014.....

Another e-mail sent, thank you.

This was in the Atlantic City Press
    http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/n...20f3b15fd.html

It gets a little confusing here to me. If the ASMFC is doing the voting, then the NJMFC gets involved, who is the organization that has the final say?

Not sure but I think from the way it reads that the asmfc is the top body for the east coast? The njmfc is voting on nj and if it votes different from the rest of the states they have to come up with some kind of conservation equivalence. Beyond that I have no clue.

Things still seem unsettled. From Ristori's blog-

"There was no agreement among the ASMFC Striped Bass Advisers from all along the coast during Wednesday's meeting in Baltimore. Since there are more recreational advisers than commercials, we never take a vote -- but rather have the chairman present the consensus from both groups to the ASMFC Striped Bass Management Board which will be meeting at the end of this month in Mystic, Ct.The commercials didn't want any further cuts or restrictions, while the recreational representatives were primarily in favor of reducing to a single bass at 28 inches or 32 inches -- along with comparable commercial reductions. Though this might be a problem for party boats and some charters, it should be noted that the bonus bass that comes from the old N.J. commercial fishery remains. Thus, anyone who feels they need a second bass could still obtain the permit from the state to do so.

I noted that the credibility of the ASMFC is at stake on this issue since the biological reference points for the species have been reached. Failing to take some action under these circumstances would be a serious failure."

Quote Originally Posted by hookset View Post
    Things still seem unsettled. From Ristori's blog-

Though this might be a problem for party boats and some charters, it should be noted that the bonus bass that comes from the old N.J. commercial fishery remains. Thus, anyone who feels they need a second bass could still obtain the permit from the state to do so.
    I noted that the credibility of the ASMFC is at stake on this issue since the biological reference points for the species have been reached. Failing to take some action under these circumstances would be a serious failure."
    If I read that correctly the bonus tag would still exist.
    Credibility of the ASMFC????? . Seriously?????

Tom Fote and his corrupt gang. Take them seriously?
    If Fote believes what he says he should be in a looney bin. Instead he is supposed to represent this jetty wrecking, beach burring corrupt state of nj.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    If I read that correctly the bonus tag would still exist.
    Credibility of the ASMFC????? . Seriously?????

Good point Monty.....
    Over the years, the ASMFC has been very slow to act.....resulting in what we face today....the biggest cuts in years....

Capt Al was similar in his beliefs....but has since has changed his stance....
    When I first contacted him 6 years ago about the possibility of a declining biomass, he sort of rebuffed me, saying he didn't think it was an issue at that time.....

Since then, he has come full circle....
    There are many posts in his NJ.Com blog about Conservation, and talking about a decline in the fishery.
    He has daily access to some of the most wise Old Salts (Old Farts ) in the area....the Old Farts from Castaways bust him daily and offer him valuable feedback....and he fishes regularly with some of the best Capts.....so you know he has to be seeing this with his own eyes........

He is on the Committee....for him to publically express some doubts, and mention the choices that need to be made, with the consequences if they aren't.....suggest a bigger picture of disagreement behind the scenes......

We are all concerned about jobs and loss of income for those connected to Striped Bass fishing....
    The biggest issue here...IMO...is if the fishery reaches a point where it is completely shut down for a while....that will be more devastating economically than a temporary quota reduction........

I hope folks out there are able to see that......
    Thanks for reading.....

Bonus Tags....
    Monty commented about this, so I thought I would address it......

At the meeting the Bonus Tag program was admitted to be a failure....
    Some of the Capts there said they don't use that many....but the ones that push bonus tags as a marketing tool were strangely absent to tell their side of things.....

Just focusing on poor data collection and abuses alone, that program has not provided the intended results.
    The problem has been discussed before. If you eliminate them, the NJ allocation has to go somewhere......it was originally the Comm allotment, so it can't just be given to the Recs....as mentioned there are strong forces fighting behind the scenes over this......

As I understand it........It was hoped by some that with the SB quota set at one, the Party and Charter Boats still using bonus tags...would protect them from the "economic disadvantage" they are claiming would result in only being allowed to target one bass.

This argument is questionable at best. (Montauk Capts encouraging fares to only keep one bass have not claimed any loss of business since they started to do that)...

However, you want to try to do something that all parties can live with...
    This is why originally there was talk of having NJ's system mirror NY's quota system in principle....
    Where NY Party boats can keep 2 bass, and those not on Party boats have slightly different regs.

I believe a lot of us could live with that....I know I could....anything to make this work overall, would involve compromise......folks need to understand that........

But they also need to understand Monty's point...that if Status Quo continues, with the same abuses allowed with the bonus tags....there really won't be much catch reduction at all......

Other opinions and info welcome.
    ...people feel free to add to this as I don't have the time I used to have.......
    Thanks......

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    I believe a lot of us could live with that....I know I could....anything to make this work overall, would involve compromise......folks need to understand that........

But they also need to understand Monty's point...that if Status Quo continues, with the same abuses allowed with the bonus tags....there really won't be much catch reduction at all...
    They could take the compromise and shove it up their ***

There is a right and wrong here. I am sick of compromise. Kill every Bass and put these party boats and charters out of business. Close all the tackle shops.
    That Jersey commercial quota must go somewhere????? That is stupid, just sacrifice it for the preservation of the striped bass. Ignorant self serving careless corrupt regulating committee.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

The Jersey commercial quota CAN NOT BE TRANSFERRED striped bass quota's are not transferable between states even though Fote is fighting to change that provision.

The 300,000 pound or the 225,000 after the new 25% reduction commercial quota would be used for NJ recreational fishing. Hopefully not as a true bonus tag as it is suppose to go away as this is what the ASMFC and anglers want, it can be over turned by our government.

Striped bass are going to fall under the ASMFC instead of NOAAA which is a good thing.

Russ Allen marine biologist for the ASMFC is born and raised here and is a bass fisherman. He addressed all our questions at the Shark River Surf Anglers and Spring Lake Liver Liners joint meeting which was held 10/9/14

The striped bass 's biggest enemy in NJ is Tom Fote and the JCAA that support his every wish.

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast