Thread: Great deal on quality pliers

Default Great deal on quality pliers

Some of you know I recently lost my beloved browning pliers when my brother dropped them from the kayak. I have been searching for a replacement since browning stopped making them.

Well I found these for $14.82 on amazon. They have the same specs as the brownings and look exactly alike just a different color grip and logo. My guess is the same factory in china made them and changed the grip color when browning stopped having them made.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...uct_refresh_T1

I just ordered a few so when I get them I will let you guys know if they are the same quality as the original brownings.

Just a heads up browning's were stainless steel which is heavier than the aluminum pliers out there but they are much tougher IMO.

Thanks jbarbosa I just ordered a pair!

If you haven't ordered a pair yet I would hold off for now...I got a second hand report that these are not the same quality as the original Browning.

I will let you guys know if they are worth ordering when I receive mine.

So I've had these pliers for two days and have fished with them a little.

They are similar to the Brownings but not 100% alike. The basic plier nose and handle is exactly the same along with the cutters.

The cutters cut mono fine but struggled with braid unless it was taught the Brownings did not struggle. I will have to see if they need to be alighted (poor job at the factory) or if they are just dull.

The spring hinge is definitely different and doesn't open as wide as the Brownings but I don't see it being a problem. Only time will tell if the spring hinge will hold up to saltwater. If it doesn't they are no better than the cheap stuff you can get at Home Depot much cheaper.

The sheath is just as bad as the browning and even worse. Do your self a favor and throw it away!! Clip them to your plug bag or a replacement sheath.

If the center spring hinge holds up to the same abuse the Brownings did these are a steal at $14 shipped. Only time will tell...

^ I ordered a pair based on your recommendation. I ain't as picky as you are......so I was happy.... though I do agree with your post-sale comments.
    ...the biggest issue with them will be how that spring holds up......still....... at $15 including shipping, I needed a new pair anyway....Thanks for the recommendation pal.

Checked out the amazon ad. They didn't look that bad. please keep us posted how they work out in the salt. Thank you

Sent you a PM I should have read the post first.My bad.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Pliers are holding up good.

At $14.40 these are a pretty good deal.

Some points to consider:

The cutters are not that sharp and will only cut braid if you hold it taught while cutting. They cut mono easily.

The jaws are identical to the old Browning line but the center pin only allows them to open 1/2" wide (has not been an issue for me).

The sheath is absolutely trash but the lanyard is fine.

thanks for the recommendation. how do they hold up to corrosion?

according to the link, the pliers come with the following

7.5" Stainless Steel Angler's Pliers w/ carbide cutters, sinker crimp, soft grip handleRazor Sharp 3' Stainless Steel Bait Knife
    Diamond Hook File
    Nylon Holster with Coiled Lanyard

What am I going to do with a 3 foot bait knife?

^^^^ Cut up 10 bunker at a time ninja style!