Thread: New Guy - grew up fishing LI Sound and LI waters

Growing up in the NY/NJ area I couldn't wait for the bluefish to show up in the summer. I lived on the Long Island Sound, and in those days (mid 50's to early 60's), we went out of either Sheepshead Bay or Atlantic Highlands to the acid waters for Blues. We fished in the sound for snappers, (baby bluefish) which were a lot of fun. One day, while fishing for Blues I watched how voracious they were eating each other and wondered if we saved the snappers we had caught previously, and used them for bait the next time we went for blues, if it would work. Sure enough we used the snappers and the blues attacked their own kind as readily as the bunkers we were using. As luck would have it, in the late 60's I moved to the west coast and shortly thereafter the blues invaded Long Island Sound. Up until this year, in my opinion, the fishing out here does not come close to the east coast, although, we did go to La Paz Mexico a few years ago, and had a ball catching dorado. This year within the last month or so, the fishing exploded, with fish coming up from the south that aren't normally this close; Yellowfin and Bluefin tuna, Dorado, Wahoo, Skipjack, Big Eye. Wow--- If only it wasn't so expensive. Anyway it sure was fun to go Bluefishing back then.

Quote Originally Posted by bobstefa View Post
    Growing up in the NY/NJ area I couldn't wait for the bluefish to show up in the summer. I lived on the Long Island Sound, and in those days (mid 50's to early 60's), we went out of either Sheepshead Bay or Atlantic Highlands to the acid waters for Blues. We fished in the sound for snappers, (baby bluefish) which were a lot of fun. One day, while fishing for Blues I watched how voracious they were eating each other and wondered if we saved the snappers we had caught previously, and used them for bait the next time we went for blues, if it would work. Sure enough we used the snappers and the blues attacked their own kind as readily as the bunkers we were using. As luck would have it, in the late 60's I moved to the west coast and shortly thereafter the blues invaded Long Island Sound. Up until this year, in my opinion, the fishing out here does not come close to the east coast, although, we did go to La Paz Mexico a few years ago, and had a ball catching dorado. This year within the last month or so, the fishing exploded, with fish coming up from the south that aren't normally this close; Yellowfin and Bluefin tuna, Dorado, Wahoo, Skipjack, Big Eye. Wow--- If only it wasn't so expensive. Anyway it sure was fun to go Bluefishing back then.
    Welcome aboard
    Great post.
    I have this thing for Blues over 30 inches, I really enjoy catching them, extra shot of adrenalin.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Growing up in the NY/NJ area I couldn't wait for the bluefish to show up in the summer. I lived on the Long Island Sound, and in those days (mid 50's to early 60's), we went out of either Sheepshead Bay or Atlantic Highlands to the acid waters for Blues. We fished in the sound for snappers, (baby bluefish) which were a lot of fun. One day, while fishing for Blues I watched how voracious they were eating each other and wondered if we saved the snappers we had caught previously, and used them for bait the next time we went for blues, if it would work. Sure enough we used the snappers and the blues attacked their own kind as readily as the bunkers we were using.

Great memories Bob thanks for sharing and welcome to stripers and anglers. I remember fishing the acid waters with my Dad when I was a kid. We would take his rickety 19 footer over there on calm days. It took me a while to understand why the water looked like that. Sure did have a lot of fish over there though, Lots of good laughs and good fishing with my Dad.
    Do you fish out of San Francisco much? I went there one time to visit my aunt and uncle. My uncle took me on a day party boat. We used live sardines and caught a lot of different fish called rockfish. Nothing like the stripers here more like sea bass. Pretty cool trip. Have you ever fished for them?

Bob welcome to the site!

Quote Originally Posted by cowherder View Post
    Bob welcome to the site!
    Welcome aboard Bob!

There are a great bunch of guys here Bob. Welcome and thanks for sharing.

That was really nice of you to share those memories with us, Bob. Welcome aboard and look forward to your future contributions.

Welcome, great post. I hate to be the bubble burster but I'm sure you are aware the fishing has declined tremendously in NY although some refuse to admit it.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Welcome Bob!

Growing up in the NY/NJ area I couldn't wait for the bluefish to show up in the summer. I lived on the Long Island Sound, and in those days (mid 50's to early 60's), we went out of either Sheepshead Bay or Atlantic Highlands to the acid waters for Blues. We fished in the sound for snappers, (baby bluefish) which were a lot of fun. One day, while fishing for Blues I watched how voracious they were eating each other and wondered if we saved the snappers we had caught previously, and used them for bait the next time we went for blues, if it would work. Sure enough we used the snappers and the blues attacked their own kind as readily as the bunkers we were using.
    Yeah those blues will eat anything! The craziest thing for me to see was when one guy fishing the sound one afternoon last spring caught a 12lb blue on his clam pole! Before that I didn't think they would touch clams. Welcome and thanks for sharinng the memories of the 50s and 60s that must have been a blast.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    Welcome aboard
    Great post.
    I have this thing for Blues over 30 inches, I really enjoy catching them, extra shot of adrenalin.
    welcome! I too have this thing for blues over 30"... I love how they look at you and really really want to take off one of your fingers

Welcome aboard bob!