Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reading a beach

Default Reading a beach

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=RQPXu-TsMKU

Here's a good video about waves by Rich Troxler as I call it Look for the funny water.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

well done

good learning piece

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Thanks.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Great video and explanation surfstix. This describes Island Beach to a "t". If more guys would take the time to learn these simple clues they would catch more fish. I was fishing the park the other morning. A guy all geared up like he came from a J Crew fishing catalog couldn't catch a thing while I was getting an occasional blue. He said "I don't understand how you guys catch fish here. There is no structure!". I said all you have to do is read the beach and the water and you will find it. He looked at me like I had 2 heads. You can't fix stupid. Some guys think fish will magically fall out of the sky and onto there hooks.

Didn't you write a detailed piece on this? I think I remember reading it somewhere here.

awesome vid thanks for sharing it!

Wow that was very informative the video made it easy to follow. thank you Sir.

Thanks for the share. I liked the diagrams and the labels. I fish mostly in south jersey and our beaches are terrible except for a few cuts. Will be checking this out again.

The visual should help some out.Too many people want everything handed to them these days I don't mind helping people out but they need to figure the rest out for themselves.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Quote Originally Posted by fishinmission78 View Post
    Great video and explanation surfstix. This describes Island Beach to a "t". If more guys would take the time to learn these simple clues they would catch more fish. I was fishing the park the other morning. A guy all geared up like he came from a J Crew fishing catalog couldn't catch a thing while I was getting an occasional blue. He said "I don't understand how you guys catch fish here. There is no structure!". I said all you have to do is read the beach and the water and you will find it. He looked at me like I had 2 heads. You can't fix stupid. Some guys think fish will magically fall out of the sky and onto there hooks.

Didn't you write a detailed piece on this? I think I remember reading it somewhere here.
    Yes found it. Nice job surfstix
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ding+the+water

Quote Originally Posted by surfstix1963 View Post
    Too many people want everything handed to them these days I don't mind helping people out but they need to figure the rest out for themselves.
    I completely agree with that statement.
    Good work, Rich....on this and the other reading the water thread.....thanks for unselfishly sharing your knowledge with the new guys.....

he said "i don't understand how you guys catch fish here. There is no structure!". I said all you have to do is read the beach and the water and you will find it. He looked at me like i had 2 heads. You can't fix stupid. Some guys think fish will magically fall out of the sky and onto there hooks.
    lol

He looked at me like I had 2 heads. You can't fix stupid.
    thats for sure

Quote Originally Posted by buckethead View Post
    I just read over that whole thread. Lots of good info there and details. Surfstix thank you so much for sharing.

Very informative nicely done.

I can only take credit for posting but the video was done by Rich Troxler more to come on SJ in the future.All in all good learning piece.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Cranky Old Bassturd.

it's a good reminder.

my biggest issue is identifying "good" troughs down south. what constitutes "good enough"

we have awful flat beaches. I mean severe flat... then parts have these mile long bars with essentially NO cuts.

if you can find a cut, fine, but at what point is that trough productive, say, in the middle third of it. I've tried and it seems a crap shoot, unless
    I can see (or feel when fishing) activity and then know for sure.

I would dream about the above video's opening picture, on an incoming, on low or no light situations LOL.

It's been so long since I've seen it though

Flat beaches are tough but I would try incoming water when the fish would possibly come over the bar into deeper water.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

I agree that incoming seems the only logical time. My choice has been to avoid those stretches... I'll have to work the edges of the trough more... on the incoming.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast