Thread: Montauk Tales and Lies.......Unedited......

Default Montauk Tales and Lies.......Unedited......

The idea for this came from some of the back channel ball busting that goes on around here....
    I have to say that some of the highlights of my day are the insults and jabs you basstids throw at me....

In that spirit....
    It seems that this year....a new crop of Montauk sharpies has emerged....
    A brand new group!

Previously unheard of, but now coming into it's own......

How do you get in with these folks?
    Get the latest in Out East intel, and what's happening on the rocks?

Who's screwing up...
    Who's screwing who...
    Who loves Montauk and the structure so much they walk around drooling when they're not there...waiting for that "Fix" from the next trip........

This addiction can be so bad....
    That those who have it, have been known to start sentences with phrases like....
    "We who fish Montauk"
    "We who fish the End"
    "We who fish out East"

You know....stuff like that.....

I thought we could talk about some of the tales and lies.....and the old stories.....or the new stories....
    From the viewpoint of those who just have to have their Montauk fix....
    And need something to occupy them during the long cold Winter.....

So let's hear your Montauk tales....
    I'll add some when I get a chance....

8-10 years ago I'd be drooling to be out there the last 3 years in the surf not worth my time that's my story.My fix is going on a boat out there now.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Being that this was my first year taking trips out there, I'll post my perspective. First it was Dark who said to me since I started fishing LI that I should head out to Montauk. I thought he was crazy, the ride is long.
    Its from 2 hours 40 minutes to 3 hours out there, add 20 minutes to the trip home. That is leaving Jersey at 11 PM and leaves me about 6 hours to fish.

I absolutely enjoy fishing all the different structure. Simply, I am in awe of Montauk.

White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

I'm going back a few years, about 15-20, when I was younger and more nimble. Used to make the drive to Montauk regularly. We would catch numbers of fish from the last week of September onward and you could always count on them being there at the edge. Now the few I know who do go regularly say that it is not the same and some have stopped going as much. I don't mean to complain as fishing is fishing. The old days of Montauk will probably never return until the striped bass numbers rebound.
    One thing I do remember is it had a hell of a night life. There were always good places to go and grab some burgers or liquid libations. For that part of it as a fishing town to hang out in I think Montauk has few competitors in that area. It is rich in history and its drinking stories. For that reason I hope the Montauk lore lives on. I did catch some nice fish there back in the day.

The drinking stories must be great. A fish that got away gets bigger with every beer.

In general the people I met out there fishing this year were very friendly (one that was to friendly (but to each their own)). Took a while getting use to people saying hello and generally talking fishing about the area.
    Never fished in a crowd. While I didn't catch any "large bass", had fun with some 10-12 lb blues and bass up to 33 inches on the trips.
    I enjoy the "working" for fish aspect, out there with the rocks, structure and lay of the land that working is a bit more effort, more fun.
    Learned a lot this year with the trips out there really contributing.

Some more of my pics from the trips

White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)